The Beaten Path (Read 778 times)

Why is it sideways?

The thread about RA addiction reminded me of this. If you're an RA addict, then maybe you caught the following post by Eric on this thread. Maybe not. Those of us that beat a path to RA pretty often might consider chipping in.
    Thanks for the feedbacks. My main concern is bandwidth, since the RSS clients will be pounding my server. This problem maybe resolved when I move to a different hosting company. I might go with RSS since that seems to be a little more popular. It doesn't seem too hard. What kind of info should I include in the feed? As for paying for the site, quite a few members have stepped up and donated money. While that is still not enough to pay for the hosting, it reduced my out of pocket expense and I am very grateful for the generosity. There are basically two ways to generate money: fee and ad based. I don't like to impose a fee because I want it to be accessible to everyone and not just the ones that can afford it. You may argue that I can offer a free basic service and paid members get more features but how do you decide what is free and what is not? I've given this much thought and one way to draw the line is anything that requires extra resources (whether more computing time such as additional statistics or more bandwidth such as RSS) warrants a fee. I want to keep all users on the site as peers. Ads offer a good alternative solution to paid membership. My issue with it is that they can be distracting. Still, I need a way to let the site pay for itself, especially with new members joining every hour, there will be a time when it becomes too expensive to run the site without consistent revenue. I am considering some ads next year.

Lazy idiot

Good call, Jeff. I need to step up the plate and pitch in.

Tick tock

Another Passion

Here, here. Me too. I LOVE this place!

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good reminder, Jeff. It's been a while since I gave financial support to my favorite site. So I just made a donation in honor of my recent HM PR. No way would I have done that without this place. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

Jeff. Your avatar is making me sticky.
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Why is it sideways?

Jeff. Your avatar is making me sticky.
              Is this an invitation to the 100 mile club? But I've resisted so long. Sometimes I feel like it's a choice: my Ph.D. or the 100 mile club. I saw what it did to Scout. Nevermind about Trent.

Lazy idiot

Is this an invitation to the 100 mile club? But I've resisted so long. Sometimes I feel like it's a choice: my Ph.D. or the 100 mile club. I saw what it did to Scout. Nevermind about Trent.
                Be smart, Jeff. Choose wisely... MTA: You're blaming Trent on the 100 mile club? The dude is taking over the internet one message board at a time. Had I not physically met him, I'd naturally assume he is an evil computer program out there doing the bidding of the monkeys.

Tick tock

Scout7

Hey! What did it do to me? Since I joined, I hit a marathon PR, and a 5k PR. Stick that in your mortar board.

Now that was a bath...

The 100 mile club is purely for the underwear elites. You, of course Jeff, are invited, we never turn down a living Idol after all but allegedly you have to ask Janelle for permission to join. We don't worship Scout enough over there though. He clearly deserves more from us. Claire xxx
                    Scout7

We don't worship Scout enough over there though. He clearly deserves more from us. Claire xxx
                      Darn skippy.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey! What did it do to me? Since I joined, I hit a marathon PR, and a 5k PR. Stick that in your mortar board.
                        Yeah, and I PRd at the 5k, 10k, 15k, 10 mi. and HM distance--all in a single race (as jeffgoblue so nicely pointed out to me)! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Drew. How do you know you actually met this "Trent". It could have been some monkey in a costume.

Lazy idiot

Drew. How do you know you actually met this "Trent". It could have been some monkey in a costume.
                            Good point. No back talk, monkey! Cool

Tick tock

Now that was a bath...

Now I am doubly concerned. If Trent's not real - what does that say about his good looking friend Noah? Hello? Anyone? I need some help with this fantasy please! Anyhow I am pretty sure that I am Trent. I am famous for my excellent bedside manner. But if I am Trent, who is Noah? Claire xxx Claire xxx
                              Scout7

Claire, dear, get back to worshiping me. Thanks.