I Would Run 500 Miles... (Read 2833 times)

So, in May, I decided that I needed to get back into this running thing. I'd been on a long (almost ten year) hiatus.

In the past year, I've gotten fairly active again--mostly rock climbing, a lot of hiking, and backpacking. In May I decided, what the Hell, I should try running again.

May more or less sucked. June, I was startled to find out that I was able to get in as many miles as I was without any aches or pains, and I had a 100-mile month. In July, I found out that I love this enough now to put up with some terrible weather, and I completely overshot my goal. I just run--I listen to my body, go as slow as I need to, and I ascribe to the "if it hurts, stop" philosophy--at least at this stage of my training. July and August I ran more each month than I ever have before, even when I did cross country in high school.

This site has been a pretty powerful motivational tool for me, but I've never posted in the forms until now--but I've certainly read them. All of you are a motivational/inspirational bunch. Today, on an easy run with one of my friends who is just starting, I hit my 500th mile. I can't believe this has come as quickly as it has, and I can't believe it's happening with no aches and pains--but I'll avoid yammering about what learning to fix my form did to me.

I figured it was finally time I said hello!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Ryan...nice that you came out of lurkdom. Smile

So, let me get this straight...you had a 100 mile month in only your 2nd month of solid running and after only 4ish months you've already logged 500 miles?!  Damn!  NICE job! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hi, Ryan...nice that you came out of lurkdom. Smile

So, let me get this straight...you had a 100 mile month in only your 2nd month of solid running and after only 4ish months you've already logged 500 miles?!  Damn!  NICE job! Big grin

Thanks, Kirsten!  I blame backpacking on priming my joints to the load of the whole thing--my friends and I used to fill out packs with kitty litter for fun.  Well, that and to train on the trails with heavy, shifty loads...

I'm also amazed at how quickly it becomes an addiction.  I'm a cranky mess after work now if I haven't gotten my run in.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm also amazed at how quickly it becomes an addiction.  I'm a cranky mess after work now if I haven't gotten my run in.

Ha, my 10 year old has as much as told me on several occasions to go run or bike when I'm a little testy. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Lynx

Ha, my 10 year old has as much as told me on several occasions to go run or bike when I'm a little testy. Tongue

Hilarious, my boss does the same to me. I come in nervous about something and she is like " You sound like you need a run!"... and I'm out the door!

And good job Ryan- that is amazing!

Lynx, I want your job. Cool

And, Ryan, you're an inspiration to me! Nice to meet you.

Keep building the base.

2012 goals: Under 30 minutes 5K, over 20 miles/week

ymmv

Or you could walk 500 miles...

(This has to be one of the best jobs around)

Lynx

Lynx, I want your job. Cool

And, Ryan, you're an inspiration to me! Nice to meet you.

Sounds like you just want my boss- helps that she is an endurance athlete as well (although she prefers those mechanical things featuring 2 wheels linked by a chain and 2 pedals)!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hilarious, my boss does the same to me. I come in nervous about something and she is like " You sound like you need a run!"... and I'm out the door!

I'd be so tempted to abuse the privilege.

Lynx, your job does sound awesome.  I love teaching, but I have to think I'd get in trouble if I ditched my students for a run (and, believe it or not, parents would 100% throw a fit if I tried to get all my students to run).  We wanted to do an evacuation drill once, have all the kids and staff follow the plan to evacuate to the local YMCA (not even a mile away). 

Yeah, that didn't work.  Enough parents went foaming, rabid-at-the-mouth, that we couldn't MAKE their kids do that (or that their kids couldn't do it, etc) that we had to do the drill...as just the staff, on an inservice day. Sad.  Even at my worst shape, which was almost "50 lbs ago", I can't imagine thinking that a mile walk would be too much.  On the more positive note, on my running rambles, we've got students who I encounter on the run a lot. 

Jenn, I'm glad I could inspire someone! 

Ymmv, that is one of the best covers I've heard of that song. 

Emil Zatopek

Lynx

Hey guys,

my job comes with the possibility of the random run during the day, but it is composed of quite long days as well. I'm a plant scientist and spend quite a bit of time in the lab. E.g. it's  past midnight here and I just walked in home 25 min ago... Of course it pays off to let the people go for a run once in a while, else they'll break something expensive. ;-)

(And yes I do check RA before tucking into bed- a lot of the comments here make me smile)

Ryan, a mile is still only 1.6km right? I dread to think "what if they actually need to get there in a hurry"!

NoKenyan

It is amazing that you have no aches and pains with the rapid increase in miles over the last few months. How did you mange to do a 20 mile long run when your average runs were 6-7 miles?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love teaching, but I have to think I'd get in trouble if I ditched my students for a run (and, believe it or not, parents would 100% throw a fit if I tried to get all my students to run).  We wanted to do an evacuation drill once, have all the kids and staff follow the plan to evacuate to the local YMCA (not even a mile away). 

Yeah, that didn't work.  Enough parents went foaming, rabid-at-the-mouth, that we couldn't MAKE their kids do that (or that their kids couldn't do it, etc) that we had to do the drill...as just the staff, on an inservice day. Sad.  Even at my worst shape, which was almost "50 lbs ago", I can't imagine thinking that a mile walk would be too much.

That's awful!  Every Fall my son's school (k-8) does a walk-a-thon fundraiser.  The kids walk about 2 miles, total, even the little ones.  They also have "running club" at recess, where the kids are encouraged to run as many laps as they can around their wooded, natural playground.  I predict some strong trail runners will come out of this school.

~ Sarah Kay

Believe

That's awful!  Every Fall my son's school (k-8) does a walk-a-thon fundraiser.  The kids walk about 2 miles, total, even the little ones.  They also have "running club" at recess, where the kids are encouraged to run as many laps as they can around their wooded, natural playground.  I predict some strong trail runners will come out of this school.

Folks, the parent thing is what is wrong with America.  I am in Kentucky, one of the most obese, least healthy, and yes the prescription drug capital of the world and we need to get kids off the couch and into fitness.  I have seen the first hand effects of obesity in my father and my mother-in-law and this epidemic has to stop!

Folks, the parent thing is what is wrong with America.  I am in Kentucky, one of the most obese, least healthy, and yes the prescription drug capital of the world and we need to get kids off the couch and into fitness.  I have seen the first hand effects of obesity in my father and my mother-in-law and this epidemic has to stop!

I attended a parent meeting for the cross country team at my daughter's middle school. I almost busted out laughing when the coach said "you do NOT need to take your son or daughter to the hospital when their leg muscles are sore". I'm glad I didn't, because I could tell by the "deer in the headlight" expressions on many of the parents' faces, that maybe it DID need to be said.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?