Average Pace - to the summary page (Read 1908 times)

I run so I can eat...

I would love to see added - the average pace for the day, week, month and year on the main summary page. It lists our mileage and total hours but I would to have it display the average pace. Thank you.
    lemondzurich

To those of us dumped by Coolrunning.com... An average pace for whatever time period was one of the things I'd judge my runs by.
      Dunottar

Definitely in the 'strongly recommend' category on my RA log wish list. I'm more of an intuitive runner and, like lemondzurich, find pace over time data (week, month and year -to date)an important metric and a great motivator. To see this on the initial summary page would be a big plus.

Running safely

Let me jump in and say I agree that that is one of the things I miss about the summary page at CoolRunning. It would be great to see it here. I am not asking to have CR log duplicated here. The log here is much better and more capable, that is just a simple feature that was very nice to see.
          George Galestro

Let me throw my 2 cents in, this is a very important part of my measuring my progress. Please please try and add this in and this log will be perfect!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

this is a very important part of my measuring my progress
              I think that this is a fine metric to include on the summary page and it should certainly be added if only for interest, it is a good idea. But I do NOT understand how it helps you measure your progress. Your average pace depends on how many hard runs versus easy runs you do far far far more than it does your ability or progress. And in fact, many exceptional runners run most their miles slower than mediocre runners who don't know how to run easy. I'm just curious, am I missing something? Confused MTA: now tracking race pace, THAT is a good way to measure progress Big grin
              eric :)

Hi guys, This request has been made many times so the demand is there. However, I do not wish to add it because it does not offer much value in the summary page. Please hear me out before you send me hate mail... Right now, the summary shows 6 weeks and 6 months because I felt that was a good representation of your immediate past. I didn't include more rows because it's somewhat computationally heavy to sum all the entries and I'll try to optimize it for the next release. Your training varies from week to week and month to month due to many factors such as your training plan and injuries. The variations will make near term trend projection difficut if not impossible unless the improvements are dramatic. In other words, 6 data points are not enough to give you the information to determine if you're improving. In the next version of the log, I'm planning to let you specify your default graph so you can create a graph that will give you the pace over, say, a year. That will give you a better idea of your progress than having pace in the summary. eric Smile
                  I'm with you on this one, Eric Actually I don't beleive that paces of daily maintenance or recovery miles are worth tracking, let alone putting on the summary page. I might make notes in the comments regarding pace, but keeping averages of them is almost meaningless. More often than not it motivates runners to go faster on their easy days than they should. Tracking times of key workouts can be useful, but even they can be misleading. In the end the only true measure of progress or lack of it is in race times.
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  George Galestro

Well, I guess that's it, even though many have requested it Eric isn't going to put it in. Trent, maybe I am not the runner you are, I don't measure hard and easy days, I just run and track my progress. How does it help me? By looking at what my miles and pace were at the same time last year, I can measure if I have run farther or faster. I sense a little elitist runner attitude there Trent ("exceptional runners/mediocre runners"), sorry if I got that wrong, we are all runners, and we are just looking for tools to help US check our progress. I guess I am a mediocre runner who is just looking for a log that is similar to the one we had at CR.

Lazy idiot

George, I don't think Trent is being elitist at all. He's slow, like me. Evil grin I think what he's trying to say is that many people do different types of runs (easy, tempo, interval, hard), and that the resulting mix one utilizes in training will have a much larger effect on overall pace than the difficult to measure progress. Like you said, we are all runners here utilizing a great tool. I used the log at CR for a while over a year ago, and I think a lot of people here would agree that in many respects Eric's log is equal to or better than most out there. I hope you feel the same. Regards, Drew

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No elitist attitude here, and I am fairly mediocre myself. I apologize if I came across that way. It is simply not the case that overall average pace really means very little, especially in "tracking progress". There is so much variability in pace for so many different reasons that the average can be skewed for reasons having nothing to do with ability. To track your progress, look at your race pace and compare them from year to year. Want to see if you can run further, look at total miles (which is not the same as pace). And, as I have said, sometimes with skill (i.e., progress) your average pace slows but your race pace increases. I am sure that if Eric had infinite resources he would put this in. He's a good guy that way. But given the huge amount of stuff he has on his plate, including some really really great features and tweaks, this is lower priority. MTA: really. I apologize for any elitist attitude. I run loads of average miles, but am always falling apart in races...
                        eric :)

Well, I guess that's it, even though many have requested it Eric isn't going to put it in. Trent, maybe I am not the runner you are, I don't measure hard and easy days, I just run and track my progress. How does it help me? By looking at what my miles and pace were at the same time last year, I can measure if I have run farther or faster. I sense a little elitist runner attitude there Trent ("exceptional runners/mediocre runners"), sorry if I got that wrong, we are all runners, and we are just looking for tools to help US check our progress. I guess I am a mediocre runner who is just looking for a log that is similar to the one we had at CR.
                          George, Let me clarify. I'm not going to put it in the summary page because as I stated, 6 data points won't give you a sense of your progress. The page is meant to give you a quick glance of your recent training history. Improvements do not happen over night. To spot trends in your training, you need something that is capable of going beyond the last 6 weeks such as the graphing tool, which will be enhanced to include more data fields. With it, you should be able to graph your average pace per day, week, month, and so forth if you choose. Every running log site does it a little differently. Their creators have different visions of how a log should help its users and design it accordingly. I understand that many of you used Cool Running's log for many years and are accustomed to it. I don't think it's fair for you to ask me to turn my log into a CR clone without trying out all the features first. Since the information on the summary page is not customizable (yet), it is better to have no data than to include potentially misleading data. eric Smile
                          George Galestro

Hi Eric and Trent and Jim and Drew, Firstly I want to apologize if I offended anyone with my "elitist runner" accusations. It just read that way to me, but based on your subsequent posts I realize I was wrong. Eric, I am not asking you to make a CR clone, I appreciate all you have done and thank you as I now have a place to go now that we have been abandoned by CR. I am looking forward to the new graphing tool as it appears it will be able to accomplish what I am asking for. I don't need the info on the summary page, just as long as there is a way to access the information. Thanks again and have a great day.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh no, being called an elitist runner is like being carded when you are 30 Smile Thanks for the compliment Wink

Lazy idiot

Oh no, being called an elitist runner is like being carded when you are 30 Smile Thanks for the compliment Wink
                                George, please don't feed the animals. Wink (And welcome to RA!)

Tick tock