2013 Sub-19 5K (Read 1932 times)

some call me Tim

csab, excellent report! Lately that no man's land is the place I often end up, too... it seems that in a lot of these local races there just aren't enough people in this range, any kind of pack way back and the fastest guys way out ahead

Future running partner.

csab,

I enjoyed the race report. I also read your HM one also. Very impressive. A sub 3 mary is definitely doable for you now. I say go for it this fall. If not shoot for sub 40 10k if you haven't already done it.

Its funny. I used to be one of those young kids running 5ks in the 16s, and thought the times I am running now where slow. Man was I wrong! One of these days I'd like to do a race have those kids be like, "Who is this old guy, beating us?!".

nickshawn

Sir Mix a Lot

Nice racing!

It isn't an official result yet, but I just did 18:10.  Ignored all external inputs (Garmin, is that guy who normally beats you really supposed to be behind you, swallowed flies, etc) and just ran hard from the off with the expectation that I would get as far as I got and then blow up and that would be fine, but the blow up didn't quite come.   Big grin

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Runner100

-

Having another go this Saturday morning on a fairly flat, certified course.

The weather forecast looks accommodating, too, except for some wind.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

It isn't an official result yet, but I just did 18:10.  Ignored all external inputs (Garmin, is that guy who normally beats you really supposed to be behind you, swallowed flies, etc) and just ran hard from the off with the expectation that I would get as far as I got and then blow up and that would be fine, but the blow up didn't quite come.   Big grin

Nice!

Congrats -- that's an awesome chunk off your PR!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks all, was a bit of a shock; official time is 18:11 so can believe it now and am very pleased indeed.

Good luck on Saturday Clive, fingers crossed for the weather!

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

nickshawn

Sir Mix a Lot

Thanks all, was a bit of a shock; official time is 18:11 so can believe it now and am very pleased indeed.

Good luck on Saturday Clive, fingers crossed for the weather!

Congrats!

Having another go this Saturday morning on a fairly flat, certified course.

The weather forecast looks accommodating, too, except for some wind.

19:08.something, rounded to 19:09.  Operator error with my Garmin left it unable to display lap or overall pace, so I was more or less racing by feel.  Which is how I like it anyway.  Splits were something like 6:06, 6:12 (hill), and I-don't-know.  I couldn't have gone much faster -- maybe I could've mustered a little adrenaline-fueled push if I'd been challenged at the end.

One more chance this spring -- a Friday evening race on June 7th, one with a traditionally strong field -- and then I'm shifting focus to a fall marathon.

-- Dick LeBeau

some call me Tim

Finally, I have good news: I ran the half marathon I was training for last weekend, and on the back of that training and a bit more rest, I finally got what I was looking for! At the 'Salmon Run' 5k tonight I ran 18:47. It had been a hot, humid day, but breezes cooled things off considerably. This was a local race in a small, lakeside town, and a lot of the high school track/XC kids were out. Lots of good natured horseplay at the starting line before the whistle. I saw one kid who had the back of his singlet taped up to make it smaller.. his friends were ribbing him about going under 19. More on that later. I'd decided to go sockless in these NB 730s I'd got and done one run in - like a cheap version of the minimus - but they're light and they felt good. We took off at the whistle and I just kind of hung back behind these kids, feeling like I could go faster, but wanting to conserve slightly. I've been trying to internalize pace, so I didn't look at my watch much and was surprised when a volunteer called out 5:30 for my first mile. Worrisome. So I tried to lay off a bit and hang with a new, slightly slower pace. At this point we'd all kind of settled in and I noticed the kid with the taped singlet, maybe 50 yards ahead, was slowing every so slightly. Trying to stay relaxed, I pushed just a bit and started to reel him in. A volunteer called mile two in 6:25, but I was maybe 10 feet off the kid's shoulder and with enough steam left to do a proper quick pass and start a long windup. With nobody in striking distance to chase I turned more to internal struggles and tried to keep from losing control of my breathing. It went quickly enough, though, and I came through in about 6:15. When I heard low 18s for 3 miles I knew I could make it. I was really starting to wind it up as much as I could. I didn't want to be stuck, once again, with the feeling that I could've left more out there. It was really uncomfortable, no lie, and I still haven't learned crap about running an even race, but I came through in 11th place, went under 19 and smashed my PR by 18 seconds. The kid who I'd chased through the middle of the race turned out to be in 14 and under, and he won an age group award and *did* make it under 19 as well. Now I need a new goal. Under 18 seems an awfully long way away, but for now it's just gonna be a good summer!

I thought for sure I had tossed my hat in this ring earlier in the year, but looking through the thread, I guess I never did.

Regardless, I thought I'd report I managed an 18:16 pr this past Saturday.

Bit of a write up in my log.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Gave it another go this morning...19:06.  I ran a horribly managed race, but managed a PR anyways.  I definitely have the fitness to go sub 19...now I need to sort out the pacing.

**Ask me about streaking**

One more chance this spring -- a Friday evening race on June 7th, one with a traditionally strong field -- and then I'm shifting focus to a fall marathon.

Oh yeah ... 19:42.  9PM start, but we were delayed 15min by lightning.  Light rain for the first mile, and humid as crap thereafter.  My strategy going in was to hit the 2mi at 12:00-12:10, then use whatever I had left for the next ~1500m (and let the last 300m take care of itself).  Had a strong race effort going, made the 2mi mark at slightly slower than target due to a tight U-turn, and then my legs started to die right about at 4km.  Slowed for a little, got back on race-pace, they died again; slowed a little, then got back on race-pace.  Kicked the last 200m more out of anger/frustration than any competitive spirit, and I was very surprised that I had a strong finish all the way in (no legs dying, no tying up).  Weird.

-- Dick LeBeau