2013 Sub-19 5K (Read 1932 times)

some call me Tim

That's awesome, Dougal, and thank you for the gripping report! Sounds like you're coming along well into prime race season. Sights on 18 now? I am. Pain is temporary, right?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

thanks Stadjak. Don't you have some sub-19 progress to reporti in too? Smile

heh, indeed I do.  Not first, but I ran my first 5K in about 9mo.  18:03.  First time under 19.

Came in 6th, though.  Damn 20yos in front of me . . . then again, lots of them behind me too.

I think the only reason I ran so fast is that I wasn't looking at my watch at all -- if I had, I would have kept to my pre-race goal: 18:59.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Runner100

-

Runner100

-

Kcoates1223

I know I'm not part of this group, but I ran my first sub-19 5k since high school this morning. I've been training for the Chicago Marathon, and not doing much speed work, so it feels good to make these improvements. I ran the first mile at 5:50, 2nd at 6:06, and 3rd at 6:11, to finish at 18:35, but was really able to turn it on the last 1/4 mile or so. Believe it or not, this is much more even pacing in a 5k than I normally do, though I still probably went out too fast. Next stop is the marathon (goal 3:10), and then I'll be looking too speedier speed work over the winter.

Post High School PRs

5k - 18:35 10k - 40:07 Half Marathon - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:14:23

2015 Goals

5k - 18:32(HS PR) 10k - Sub 39 Half Marathon - Sub 1:30

Runner100

-

some call me Tim

Congrats stadjak! It's funny how improvement often comes in a leap.

And yeah, a sub 18 group for next year sounds like a good idea... we've got a good number in here who are moving into striking distance. I nearly made it last weekend (18 flat) but there was just nothing left at the end and I had to spend the rest of the day on the couch - not quite there just yet Smile

xhristopher

Breaking through that 5:50 barrier is an increasingly big goal of mine so I'll be one of those looking for sub 18 in the coming year. I've only been there once, 2.5 years ago. Since then I've stockpiled lots of 18:XX 5Ks and 5K splits on 10Ks... Was hoping for this summer but things didn't come together. Need to stop hoping and start doing.

Great progress and race reports...especially enjoyed the "old man" beating high schooler, Dougal Smile

I'm going to take my first shot at sub-19 on the 28th at a small local race (maybe 500 or so).  It was won by 18:57 last year, so this could be a race for position which I've never done.  Here goes nothin!

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

Runner100

-

Haha, I understand.  I have been quite obsessive about time goals, too.  When I started running last year, ran myself straight to injury trying to go sub-20, but could only manage 21:30.  Regrouped at the start of 2013 with mostly base building (low HR) and have been steadily improving ever since (20:42 in March, 19:30 in June, now hopefully 18:XX in Sept).  Now I just obsess mainly about HR instead of time goals and the PRs keep coming, lol.

Eric

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

I know I'm not part of this group, but I ran my first sub-19 5k since high school this morning. I've been training for the Chicago Marathon, and not doing much speed work, so it feels good to make these improvements. I ran the first mile at 5:50, 2nd at 6:06, and 3rd at 6:11, to finish at 18:35, but was really able to turn it on the last 1/4 mile or so. Believe it or not, this is much more even pacing in a 5k than I normally do, though I still probably went out too fast. Next stop is the marathon (goal 3:10), and then I'll be looking too speedier speed work over the winter.

+1

Same story here. Also had not been in this group because I had no idea how things would unfold this year. I had not run in many years and my first race in March 2013 was a 27:00 5k. I was not sandbagging the 27min 5k either. I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest. 1500 miles and 6 months later I ran an 18:53 on tired legs. Next weekend is the Twin Cities Marathon. I am getting more nervous every day leading up to it. Good luck in Chicago Kcoates1223.

Runner100

-

some call me Tim

Agreed, Mpls Laker, I thought I had made stides this year but you are absolutely killing it! And Dougal, congrats on the win (again!) and basically matching your new standard without redlining. I don't doubt you'll make your goal as there's often plenty of competition on Turkey Day. As to sub-18 I managed 17:54 the other week in a very unpleasant but well paced race and it's likely I'll park it there for the year. There are some awesome medium-long trail races coming up that I plan to focus on. Meanwhile, we're in peak season and with cooler temps I'm hoping to see the exultations of success (and race reports!) start rolling in.

Eric? How'd ya do?

Wow Dougal and blargendarg, very nice work!  And Mpls Laker, holy crap, that is some amazing progress in just 6 months!!!

My sub-19 attempt was yesterday.  Small local race of 500 won by 18:57 last year so I thought I was cherry picking nicely Smile  Well, I show up and hear that there are almost 850 participants this year, including a junior college XC team and local HS XC and soccer teams.  I was actually relieved that the pressure was off so I could forget about possibly winning and focus on running my own race.  Aimed for my usual strategy of even effort given the terrain.

The field went out way too fast (a lot of high schoolers and younger kids).  First mile was rolling but net downhill, so 5:40 pace thru the first 0.5 didn't seem too unreasonable, except that there were probably still 25 runners ahead of me.  No worries, law of averages says that many of them had not paced properly and would get reeled in.  First mile 5:56.  There was a decent hill at the start of mile 2 followed by nearly 0.5 of gravel, which slowed me to 6:12 for that mile, but it was the demise of the HS soccer team and the slowest 2 members of the junior college XC team.  I found myself in 6th overall going into mile 3 and just wanted to hold pace at that point if I could.  It was getting pretty painful, but I knew I could hold on.  Got passed by a Kenyan (no joke), but could not respond.  He was rolling.  Had a small kick with the crowd cheering to finish the 3rd mile at 6:05.  7th overall, 1st in age group by 1:20, 18:55, and the oldest (38) and baldest guy in the top 10!

Above the shiny new PR, this race was part of my hometown's annual homecoming, so there were lots of family and friends running.  I had convinced most of them to slow down and do more base building this year and 5 of them ran PRs as well, including my 11 year old son.  It was a great race and a great day!

Eric