2013 Sub-19 5K (Read 1932 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm in for '13.  Ran 19:42 a few years ago on limited training, so I think it's realistic.  Most likely in the fall, as I have some weight to drop at the moment -- too fat to do much wore than waddle through some easy miles.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Runner100

-

So I'm planning to run an indoor mile a week from Sunday. It'll be my first track race, indoor or otherwise, and my first mile. No idea what to expect, really. Any suggestions as to how to seed myself? I have to give a projected time so they can put me in the right heat. I'm thinking maybe 5:45-5:50 would be reasonable, since I opened my last 5k with a 6:05 and definitely could have pushed that harder had I not had 2.1 more miles to go.

Is anyone racing this weekend?

So I'm planning to run an indoor mile a week from Sunday. It'll be my first track race, indoor or otherwise, and my first mile. No idea what to expect, really. Any suggestions as to how to seed myself? I have to give a projected time so they can put me in the right heat. I'm thinking maybe 5:45-5:50 would be reasonable, since I opened my last 5k with a 6:05 and definitely could have pushed that harder had I not had 2.1 more miles to go.

Is anyone racing this weekend?

Try using a calculator and plugging in yoru recent 5K time to see what it predicts for a mile. If you think you're more of a speedster, use a slightly faster time, if you think u have more endurance than speed or if you think the speed of the race will be a shock to your system, use a slightly slower time. Either way, it's just a rough guess for the correct heat. Fwiw, one calculator I used for your recent 5K predicts a mile of 5:39.

Good luck in your mile race. Those are fun... fast but over in a real hurry.

Try using a calculator and plugging in yoru recent 5K time to see what it predicts for a mile. If you think you're more of a speedster, use a slightly faster time, if you think u have more endurance than speed or if you think the speed of the race will be a shock to your system, use a slightly slower time. Either way, it's just a rough guess for the correct heat. Fwiw, one calculator I used for your recent 5K predicts a mile of 5:39.

Good luck in your mile race. Those are fun... fast but over in a real hurry.

Thanks for the link. It seems crazy to think I could run that fast since I've only ever done 200s and 400s at anything approaching that pace, but I know the race atmosphere should help a little. I'll probably go with 5:45 and if it's faster, hey, cool!

MoBramExam

Using that calculator to predict an indoor time, presuming this will be a short track (200m), IMO the V.02 Training Pace may come closest to predicting the actual time.

It's a 160m track. I figured that wouldn't help, with all the tight turns. We'll see. It's a PR no matter what I guess! If I like it, I'm planning to do more mile and two-mile (outdoor) track races this spring.

Using that calculator to predict an indoor time, presuming this will be a short track (200m), IMO the V.02 Training Pace may come closest to predicting the actual time.

some call me Tim

Well... I almost made it. And the great thing is that I had no expectation to be anywhere close this early in the year. I've been training for a half marathon and didn't figure I'd be close until this summer, but I started speedwork a month ago and by necessity it's all been on snowy trails. That may have helped me a bit.

The race was a 'Polar Bear' 5k, where you try to beat a runner dressed as a bear and get a shirt to prove it, and I kind of entered on a whim because I liked the idea. I didn't get a lot of chance to warm up and at the start of the race my breathing was feeling pretty constricted and I thought I might have to dial it back to deal with an off day... looked down at my watch to find my pace was around 5:30. Ok, so dial it back already! I passed a couple of people and hit mile 1 in 5:52, feeling pretty good and feeling like it couldn't last. Of course it didn't. A couple of little inclines were all that it took, but I held the pace at 6:34 for mile 2. No places changed after mile 1, and it turned out to be a gruelling self-battle with no competition to fuel the fires. I could *see* the guys in front of me (~200ft) but I was just trying to hang on. The final half mile was particularly tough - a long straightaway with the finish line in clear view. I have never felt so slow in my life, but despite how it felt, I actually had managed to pick it up a little and did the last 1.1 in 6:37 for a finishing time of 19:03. Coming in and seeing the clock ticking out of sub-19 land stung a little, but it was soothed by knowing I'd just shaved a full 50 seconds off my PR, set only 2 months ago. Sub 19'll happen eventually. Especially when I learn to hold a more consistent pace. I was accustomed to paces around 6:30, but this is a whole different ballgame.

Oh yeah, and I beat the bear. She was a total midpacker.

Walk-Jogger

Nice work, Blargendarg, and congrats on the big PR. Dang, 3 seconds off 19:00, all you need now is a good race day and some close competition and you'll blow right on past <19:00 and keep going.

Retired &  Loving It

Runner100

-

I started out looking for the sub 20 thread, but I see you guys have all stepped up your game.  Way to go!

anyway, i'll throw my hat in the ring for sub 19.  I've hit that mark a couple of times about 3 years ago, then fell off the wagon.  Anyway, i'm getting back into the habit.

Attempt #1 - March 2, 2013 - Bockfest 5K - Cincinnati, OH - Goal: Sub 20.

More attempts to follow.

nothing to see here.  

some call me Tim

Thanks Cecil and Dougal. I appreciate the encouragement. And Joe, welcome. When I first came here I was was just under 20 min but I figured with some hard work I'd be able to work up to it later in the year and now look... all of a sudden I'm close *and* I held onto my breakfast this morning Smile Best of luck!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I finally, got a shot at this on Saturday 2/23 after Cupid's Chase Glen Rock was postponed, then postponed again.  Fortunately the RD were really good about transfering my registration to the Cupid's Chase New Brunswick race.  I wanted to shoot for sub 19 in this race, so the game plan was to go out ~6:00 mile and try to hold it.  The splits were:

Mile 1- 6:02 hit the first mile split about right

Mile 2- 6:19 slowed down some by muddy gravel and it was a net uphill mile, not too far off

Mile 3- 6:36 wheels started coming off, I felt like I had nothing more to contribute

Time- 19:56 - ouch

All in all, this was a good evaluation of my fitness level.  I had a great time at the race, with really nice people/volounteers/RD.  It didn't hurt that I placed 2nd overall (and I couldn't have matched up with 1st on my best day).  Last year I ran a 20:15 in February but got my time down to a 19:09 in June.  This year I have a 20 second headstart and this race was a nice kick in the ass to get me motivated to drop time.  Hopefully I can stay 20 seconds ahead all season.  Next attempt will be 4/20 at the River Edge 5k.

**Ask me about streaking**

some call me Tim

That's some food for thought, and brought to mind the thread going on over in General Running about how long runs improve pace. Nice to know the speed is already there!

Nice race and report blarg....Jamezilla don't worry, not bad at all for early season!

Training going fairly well here.  I am tentative on the small/flat 5K on March 10 I mentioned awhile back.  I just found out that's when the daylight savings time changes though.  It'll be a race morning decision.  I'm scouting out races for April while I'm at it.