What's best to do or not do when you get injured? (Read 169 times)

King of PhotoShop

I ran in a corporate-sponsored race last fall and Billy Rodgers was in it, which gave us a chance to run together and catch up on things. Not surprisingly, the topics we discussed had little to do with training or how many miles we run, but as older guys it was more around injuries, meds, diet and other stuff that affects our running, along with ideas on how to stay healthy.

Many years ago he gave me a piece of advice about injury.  Paraphrasing here, but he said, "When you get injured, you should immediately start working on that injury with the same intensity that you are used to working with in your training. Get right after it."  I never forgot this great tip.

I'm trying to put together a "Ten Best" list of "tips" or "tried and true ideas" for "What to do or not do when you get injured." Some of you veteran runners will have some great ideas that may well help the newer runners.

What is the one or more great idea or tip you would offer about dealing with injuries?  What do you ALWAYS do or NOT do when you get injured?  Many thanks.  Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

Ice!  Ice!  Baby!

I'm never sure at first if it is a 'real' injury or just a flare up of inflammation that is causing the ache or twinge, so I pack ice around it and elevate it (if I can) and check the next day to see if that helped.

Runners run

NHLA

I rest two days then try to run. If it's just a pull it will be ok but if it's a tendon it going to hurt for 6-8 weeks.

When I'm hurt I do core work like crazy.  Work on your weakness.

If all else fails go to the Doc.  I always wish Ihad gone sooner.

runmichigan

The biggest thing is knowing how to distinguish between pain/soreness resulting from a hard effort and the warning signs indicating the onset of an injury.  If you heed the warning signs, you may be able to avoid the injury with only minor changes.  But if you do not heed the warning signs and you do get injured, the most common advice given is:

RICE for first 24 hours.  R = Rest, I = ICE, C = Compression, E = Elevate.

mikeymike

I just don't think you can have rules when it comes to injuries because every injury is unique.

In my experience, most running injuries do not respond best to rest. There is usually some combination of reduced workload and working on the root cause, whether that be core strengthening, posture, flexibility, mobility etc. Some injuries, however, do require total rest. It's complicated.

Runners run

I just don't think you can have rules when it comes to injuries because every injury is unique.

It's complicated.

Pretty much this, I think. And more often than not, going to a doctor won't give you much more insight.

Dave

To add to Mikey's point, I had a nerve issue for two years which was getting worse as I continued to run, reduced the volume, saw many doctors, got Steroid injections, did not help.  So I quit for a few months, still no help, however when I started running again a couple of months ago, it magically got better.

kilkee

runktrun

Diet.  If something in you is busted, be it soft tissue or bone, or you are worn down from training, a well rounded diet with ample calories will help your body heal itself.  Unfortunately, you should be eating a bit more, or at least not cutting calories, while you are taking time off from running.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

What mikeymike said. I wouldn't give this advice to anyone, but running a little every day through "injuries" has worked out the best for me. But you have to be doing something about it, be paying attention and know when it's time to stop. I hate running tips (for the most part. this book is the best compilation of "tips" out there). They end up so generic that they don't apply to anyone for real and you end up with an impossible list of things that you just have to do or you can't run.

joescott

I've had injuries that required 6 months of no running whatsoever (microfracture surgery in knee), and I've had injuries like my recent hamstring pull and hip pain where I just reduced mileage, running up to the point where the pain was starting and then bagging it.  Like mikey said, every injury is different, but like others have said here, I really prefer to keep running through whenever I can, but with modifications like reduced mileage, eliminating workouts, etc.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Pour yourself a frothy cold one.

You people have issues 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Pour yourself a frothy cold one.

Sadly, that hasn't helped my knee.

steph  

kilkee

runktrun

Clearly, you did not drink enough!  Try again!  Try Guinness!  I hear that it's good for you.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all.  What a few of you said and my own experience suggests it's true, is that it's a complex issue, as some injuries are just a tweak and go away soon and others are a disaster. It's often hard to know at first. I had some form of piriformis/sciatica some time ago and believe me, I did everything.  Looking back, I have no idea why it just went away.  Same goes for plantar fasciitis. Stuff lingers, then goes away, making the issue murkier.

Of one thing I am convinced however, and that is that once you know you have an injury that's going to be around a while, you should go to the doctor. But the issue is making sure it's the right doctor.  The guy I go to down here is also the Dallas Cowboys team physician, and I always get the right diagnosis.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I'd like to hear from as many people as I can, so jump in with your own story.  Spareribs

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Sadly, that hasn't helped my knee.

Knee?  Who said anything about the knee.  I view it as the "holistic" approach.  

You people have issues