Coaching (Read 988 times)

Scout7

Alright, this is something I've been kicking around in the back of my head for a while now. I'm thinking about trying to find some coaching position. Part time kind of deal or whatever. So, anybody out there a coach, or use a coach, or part of a club that has a coach? I thought about going for a coaching cert, USATF and RRCA both offer one, although I'm thinking the RRCA would be more in line with what I'm thinking (plus, I'm not a big fan of track to begin with). Beyond that, I'm interested in seeing the information that they have available, what they're teaching, etc. etc. blah blah blah. Ok, let me have it....Thoughts? Opinions? Totally worthless and not worry about it?
      I encourage you to do that. I've considered it alot - I'd like to coach cross-country at one of our inner city high schools. They usually have crappy programs (if any) compared to the suburbs and parochial schools, partly because nobody wants to coach and there's no distance running tradition. But I know there's lots of talent. I haven't looked into it though. Keep us posted.
      The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison
        Are you looking to coach at a school, or adults? I have been a member of a few clubs that had (have) coaches and I know a few other coaches from local clubs. From my observations, at the club level, the certifications don't mean much. You see some total joker coaches with all the that are USATF Level III or whatever and then you see some really awesome coaches that have no certifications...or at least don't advertise them. Are you a member of a club now?

Runners run

Scout7

Well, I thought about kids, but then I was concerned that it'd be weird (since I'm not working at a school, and don't have kids). I'm not currently in a club, but I'm probably going to join one here soon.

Prophet!

people are always looking for private coaching too..most of the programs offered by our local training clubs have pretty steep fees..
              The only thing weird about coaching kids to me would be the schedule. You almost have to work in a school or something that does not require regular hours in order to make practices every afternoon. I think joining a local running club and running a lot of the club races is a great place to start. Your regional USATF chapter has a Grand Prix series. If you are a member of a club and run as many of those big club events as possible, you will meet runners and coaches from a lot of the local clubs that way. As far as I know a lot of the club coaching positions are volunteer positions. Some of the bigger clubs have professional coaching positions as well.

Runners run

Scout7

Yeah, I don't know if I would coach for money. I'd want to do it more because I enjoy running, and enjoying teaching and helping.

Prophet!

Yeah, I don't know if I would coach for money. I'd want to do it more because I enjoy running, and enjoying teaching and helping.
                  then i would like to hire you to be my personal coach Big grin
                  JakeKnight

Well, I thought about kids, but then I was concerned that it'd be weird (since I'm not working at a school, and don't have kids).
                    Yeah. Plus there's that whole goat thing.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Yeah. The goat thing is weird.

Runners run

Dog-Love

I coach kids soccer and lead the running club for elementary school kids. You have to have a background check BTW. I LOVE coaching kids soccer and its all volunteer. So go for it and have fun. There are 2 20-something year old guys who now coach my 13 year old son's soccer club and we think the world of them. They are like the way older brother that my son won't ever have.
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                        Scout7

Yeah. Plus there's that whole goat thing.
                          YOU posted the pics...... Just sayin'....