Run down Memory Lane (Read 887 times)

still alive

What a treat to take a run in my home town this morning. Truly a memory lane run. I started off running past the hospital where I was born. Then snaked through the neighborhoods to Bridge street where I went past my first girlfriend's house and the small Bridge Street School where I went to Kindergarten (now it's an apartment buidling). Then downtown to the park where I used to hang out with my friends and *ahem* do bad stuff. Across the river on the train trestle that we used to race across to beat the trains. By Dean's Ice Cream, home of the Monster Malt. Up past the library where I spent many summer hours. Through my old newspaper route. South of town by the small little party store where we used to buy candy. By my middle school and high school - wow, we never had all that fancy stuff. Then I ran past the houses of my old friends who have scattered like the wind. Wonder where they are now? Nice, relaxing and strange to run through my memories.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

That's a great story, Greg. I think I may do something similar when we head back home later this summer. The kids always like to go see the places where Dad grew up, but we always drive by in the car. I may have to see about running through this time.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Running in the hometown is great fun. I ran thousands of miles in and around my town in high school and during the summer in college. My favorite running loops are like old familiar friends, and I love the rare chance to get to run some of them again. Greg, your run sounds great and makes me homesick, quite honestly. Sad I hope to be able to make it back home this fall and tour around town the way you did.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.