Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

In February, I started experiencing pain in my right hip. I am a 45 year old male. 6’-2” 195lbs. I am not a long distance runner. I do a lot of high intensity training (uphill sprints, burpees, air squats, etc.). I don’t lift heavy weights, mostly body weight exercises. The pain wasn’t too intense but it has gotten worse. It was a dull throbbing deep in my groin, especially when I cross my legs. I also had pain in the front and outside of my hip. I kept training through the pain and ended up developing pain in my left knee (opposite side). This made me slow down and I went to see Dr. John Salvo at the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia. My x-rays looked good so he sent me for an MRI with a dye injection and a CT scan. The MRI showed a large tear in the anterior labrum of my right hip. The CT scan showed NO impingement (FAI). Based on everything I’ve read, this is unusual. Most labral tears are caused by impingement. Dr. Salvo recommended 6 weeks of PT to see if my conditions improve. The PT tested me and said my glut, core and hip strength is very good, so he gave me some stretches. Here’s my question: is there any reason to go through the 6 weeks of PT instead of just scheduling my arthroscopy? I’ve become deeply depressed over my situation. I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

I would go through PT first.   However, I'll add one caution - my symptoms got way worse from static stretching - if that's all he's having you do, I might try to get a second opinion, as well.

Labrum stuff is a long haul.   Hang in there.

mcmric

Thanks everyone for your well thought out responses. I just got back from PT and I had a talk with the therapist about my concerns. He understands and explained that he just wanted me to do some stretches and core strength exercises to start. Today, he added 5 more exercises (clam, knee to chest, etc.). I felt better about this but my I’m still struggling with the fact that PT is just delaying the inevitable. Am I incorrect? Someone please set me straight. I have been unable to find anything online documenting long term recover from labral tears without surgery. Maybe I’m just not looking in the right places.

Hip Redux

Thanks everyone for your well thought out responses. I just got back from PT and I had a talk with the therapist about my concerns. He understands and explained that he just wanted me to do some stretches and core strength exercises to start. Today, he added 5 more exercises (clam, knee to chest, etc.). I felt better about this but my I’m still struggling with the fact that PT is just delaying the inevitable. Am I incorrect? Someone please set me straight. I have been unable to find anything online documenting long term recover from labral tears without surgery. Maybe I’m just not looking in the right places.

Well... I'm sure they're out there, but you're right that the odds are likely in favor of ending up in surgery.  However, in your case because you don't have an impingement, there's no "structural" reason to do the surgery (of course, I'd probably want a second opinion on that too!).

I think PT is important because you do want to be sure you've covered your bases before getting into surgery, and you'd address any muscle imbalances before jumping into surgery, as well.  If you can get to be painfree without surgery, it's worth a shot.

The other thing to consider is that most insurance companies want some months of "conservative" treatment before they cover surgery.  You'll probably want to look into that if you haven't already.

mcmric

Thanks Oski. Everything you’ve said makes perfect sense. I’m afraid I’m being driven by fear. My mind continually goes to thinking “It’s all over for me, this injury will change my life forever and I’ll never be able to exercise with the same level of intensity.” Crazy, I know. But this is where I am mentally. It’s making me search out success stories from people labral tears and they are all from people who have had surgery. In truth, I hate the idea of having surgery and the recovery time. I’ve never had surgery in my life so I guess I’m being rather naïve.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Here's the blog of a professional triathlete who had FAI surgery in 2012 on both hips.  Looks like she's back!  She started running at 9 weeks post-op on her first hip.  I imagine she had way better rehab than most of us, but still...

http://donnaphelan.blogspot.com

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Here's the blog of a professional triathlete who had FAI surgery in 2012 on both hips.  Looks like she's back!  She started running at 9 weeks post-op on her first hip.  I imagine she had way better rehab than most of us, but still...

http://donnaphelan.blogspot.com

I'd say!

"Since I woke up from my second surgery August 14th, I haven't missed a day on the bike, a day in the gym or seldom missed a day in the pool. Most days I'm at the gym on the spin bike, doing strengthening exercises, pool running, doing exercises in the shallow pool, and swimming with masters, along with three 90min PT sessions a week."

Hip Redux

Last pre-op PT session this morning.  I am gonna miss that strap stretching stuff. lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'd say!

"Since I woke up from my second surgery August 14th, I haven't missed a day on the bike, a day in the gym or seldom missed a day in the pool. Most days I'm at the gym on the spin bike, doing strengthening exercises, pool running, doing exercises in the shallow pool, and swimming with masters, along with three 90min PT sessions a week."

What, you weren't planning on spending 3 weeks at a rehab facility with a pool and professionals??

Hey Finn - how did work go for you?

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Hey Finn - how did work go for you?

Not bad.  Driving really is not a problem.  I do not bring as much with me so there is little to carry.  I bring a sandwich instead of leftovers so I do not have to carry anything to the pantry to reheat.  Some doors are a pain to negotiate with the crutches.  But I am managing.

I am just getting tired of being on the crutches.  It is the little things.  Like carrying stuff.  And when I stop some place and rest the crutches somewhere, they always seem to be in the way (blocking a drawer or whatever).  Surgery was two weeks ago today so I think that I should be able to start weaning off of the crutches soon ..... I will ask about it at my next PT session on Tuesday.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My biggest gripe with the crutches (aside from not being able to walk), was propping them up against something, only to have them slide and fall down onto the floor causing a loud crash.  I did this in the bathroom at 3am more than a few times.  After about 17-18 days I started cheating in the kitchen and walking a few steps.

I hope you are getting good sympathy from your co-workers, at least!

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I hope you are getting good sympathy from your co-workers, at least!

I am not but that is OK as I have been purposely avoiding them.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, my life just became a lot more active.  My dog came home yesterday, so I'll be doing a lot more walking than before.  She's 9 years old now, but she's still very high energy.  She's used to running 30mpw or so with me.  We're both going to have to adjust, but I am happy that she's home.

8 weeks post-op now.  I had my most active day post-surgery yesterday.  I biked 13 miles (with some smaller hills) and took Bella for a 2 mile walk.  The hip seemed to hold up okay, although I think my left hip flexor got a little cranky while walking, but it didn't linger.  I also absentmindedly jogged down the stairs!  I realized what I was doing about halfway down.  It didn't hurt, but I should probably be more cautious.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

That's great Mandy!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm sorry you're having back issues, Oski.  I'm pretty sure all Tylenol is just a sugar pill because it never does anything to relieve my pain.  Soon you'll be on some really good drugs!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Thanks.  I'm not even bothering taking Tylenol.  I really want to take some of the strong stuff lol

I am pissed that I missed I workout because of it, grrr.

I'm sorry you're having back issues, Oski.  I'm pretty sure all Tylenol is just a sugar pill because it never does anything to relieve my pain.  Soon you'll be on some really good drugs!