Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Prince of Fatness

I haven't been sick in quite a while, knock on wood.

Today is 4 weeks.  PT day.  I got to walk without crutches!  Did a few laps around the room.  It was weird at first.  The leg felt weak.  But, no pain at all.  So, I have the go ahead to go crutchless as I please.  I will probably use at least one crutch for long walks for a few days, but around the house it is so nice not using them.  Next week they said that I get to work a little more at PT.  Elliptical and so other stuff.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Awesome!  I can't believe it's already been a month for you.

This morning I woke up and had to run to the bathroom to vomit - it was sort of tough given the crutches and my hip, but I got down on the bathroom floor without even thinking lol  I sort of freaked myself out after thinking I had done some damage doing that, but no lasting effects thankfully.  Not sure why I had to vomit since I feel ok now but I'm sure I looked ridiculous with the crutch run!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oski, I got woozy going to the bathroom in the middle of the night on my crutches in week 2.  I fell pretty badly, but I was fine.  Supposedly the GA meds stay in your system for up to 3 weeks, so that's what I'm blaming it on.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Yikes, thankfully I didn't fall but I came close. Felt like hell! I'll blame it in the anesthesia too Tongue

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I haven't been sick in quite a while, knock on wood.

Today is 4 weeks.  PT day.  I got to walk without crutches!  Did a few laps around the room.  It was weird at first.  The leg felt weak.  But, no pain at all.  So, I have the go ahead to go crutchless as I please.  I will probably use at least one crutch for long walks for a few days, but around the house it is so nice not using them.  Next week they said that I get to work a little more at PT.  Elliptical and so other stuff.

Yeah!!!  That's awesome news.  I'm surprised they're going to put you on the elliptical already.

Has anyone else been biking besides me and Dallison?

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So I went for a hike last night.  I just went to a country park with some gently rolling trails that weren't too technical.  I went slowly.  I didn't carry a heavy pack.  I didn't walk very far.  I am so out of shape.    I went 3.5 miles in 1:12.  I got winded walking up the hills.  Pathetic.  I also had all sorts of various soft tissue twinges.  Nothing that lingered afterward, but first my hamstring would hurt, then my adductor would hurt, then my hip flexor would hurt.  I'm really confused on why the soft tissue stuff is an issue for this.  Does this happen with all surgeries?  Is it from the crutches?  From them cutting where they cut?  My joint continues to feel fine.  I'll be curious how dallison and Finn do with this when they start becoming more active.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I don't understand the soft tissue stuff either.  I know when they partially cut the psoas that the other hip flexors start to compensate - and that's where you can have overuse issues, muscles doing things they weren't intended to do.  I get that.  But in the cases where it's "just" joint work?  Don't know why there are such muscle issues.  Perhaps it's just lack of use/crutches and then getting things back used to being weight bearing?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I just wonder if people who have knee surgeries or ankle surgeries or anything else requiring crutches go through this as well.  Or if it's specifically a hip thing.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I don't get the soft tissue stuff either, but it seems to be prevalent with this procedure.  I have a copy of the protocol that the surgeon gave me for the PT and I am entering the phase where the folks at PT are supposed to be on the lookout for hip flexor tendinitis.  I have a follow up appointment with surgeon later this month.  I will try to remember to ask him about it.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

I have my first check in today - I'll ask what the deal is.  Assuming I remember with all my other questions lol

dallison

registered pw

I had a lateral release and they cleaned out the under side of my knee cap 4 years ago and i wasn't on crutches. I don't don't know if there was any soft tissue involved with that.

I just wonder if people who have knee surgeries or ankle surgeries or anything else requiring crutches go through this as well.  Or if it's specifically a hip thing.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

dallison

registered pw

Isn't that terrbile how you feel during and after? I am tired after a ride too. I am going 12-20 mph on my mountain bike onthe road, so i'm booking it.

So I went for a hike last night.  I just went to a country park with some gently rolling trails that weren't too technical.  I went slowly.  I didn't carry a heavy pack.  I didn't walk very far.  I am so out of shape.    I went 3.5 miles in 1:12.  I got winded walking up the hills.  Pathetic.  I also had all sorts of various soft tissue twinges.  Nothing that lingered afterward, but first my hamstring would hurt, then my adductor would hurt, then my hip flexor would hurt.  I'm really confused on why the soft tissue stuff is an issue for this.  Does this happen with all surgeries?  Is it from the crutches?  From them cutting where they cut?  My joint continues to feel fine.  I'll be curious how dallison and Finn do with this when they start becoming more active.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Ostrich runner

It's been 4 years now since my wife had both hips done (a few months apart from each other). At best, she rated her total recovery compared to pre-injury as about 60%. A new arthrogram now is showing a new tear, psoascapsular adhesion, a couple areas of bursitis, and some tendonitis. We're heading up to Chicago to consult with another surgeon on Monday. I guess it's encouraging, in a way, to know that more recovery might be had. It's tiring to think that we've now got to do this a third time. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Hip Redux

Beef - that stinks Sad  Was it your wife who was in a car accident, and that was the reason for the tears?  Or am I mis-remembering?  Hopefully there are some options available for a full recovery.

So I got some info about the whole hip flexor tendonitis stuff - keep in mind, I only met with the physician's assistant and my dr. is very particular about how he rehabs hip scope patients.

I asked why people end up with all this soft tissue badness after the scope surgery and their take is that far too many rehab protocols wait too long to start getting patients moving again.  They think the braces and movement limitations and whatnot do more harm when it comes to regaining functional strength and ROM.  They've been seeing a lot more revision surgeries from other surgeons where there was so much scar tissue because the patient wasn't moving through a full range of motion until far too late in the rehab.  The one who was there today was a revision - her psoas was completely frozen in scar tissue.

So the longer you don't use your muscles, the more atrophy and scar tissuse, the more things like hip flexors that need to work over time to compensate.   Makes sense, I guess?

It was hip day at PT today - all three of us that were there today were newly minted hip scopes!  I was the only one who got the full spa treatment though lol   One was the revision, the other was labrum and FAI.

I also found out why I am still having trouble fully standing up straight - they stitched my hip capsule instead of leaving it open, which means it's tighter than it was pre-surgery.   Makes sense, because it feels like my joint is what is keeping me from extending.   PA said it just takes time for everything to settle down, otherwise I'm ahead of schedule in terms of strength and ROM (I can touch my toes!).

Hip Redux

Oh and I'm cleared for biking!  10 minutes every other day, no resistance.  Smile