Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

If y'all hear screaming that'd just be me frustrated about the aching pain in my OTHER hip.

Noooooooooo.  How bad is it?  My other hip continues to crack, but no real pain yet.

I love your new addition to your username.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Heh, thanks.

It's a dull ache.  Not super terrible but just enough to be annoying.  No sharp pains like I had with the right leg, so I am holding out hope it's some sort of compensation thing.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Shit.  Well, I don't want to tell you that mine started out as a dull ache, but mine started out as a dull ache.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's just compensation.  How are you feeling otherwise?

My legs feel the worst they've felt in a long time.  I guess PT really kicked my ass the other day.  Lunges always do this to me.  I am definitely not complaining though!

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

5 weeks yesterday and more PT.  Warm up was 8 minutes on the elliptical.  Doing a lot of balancing type exercises.  He took me into the stairwell to do some stepping up and down using a complete stride.  I have been going up and down stairs one step at a time.  Going down is harder than up.  My right leg was actually shaking a little supporting the weight on the way down.  Felt OK though, so I will start phasing in using the stairs normally.  Anything that I am feeling must be soft tissue related as I felt better after PT than before.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Mine didn't start as an ache, it was more immediate pain pain.  This other hip is wildly inconsistent too.  It comes and goes - I can have weeks of nothing and then a week like this where it bothers me.    I'm holding out hope.

dallison

registered pw

At about what week did they have you doing lunges?

Shit.  Well, I don't want to tell you that mine started out as a dull ache, but mine started out as a dull ache.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's just compensation.  How are you feeling otherwise?

My legs feel the worst they've felt in a long time.  I guess PT really kicked my ass the other day.  Lunges always do this to me.  I am definitely not complaining though!

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I just started real, normal lunges this week, dallison.  I was doing some modified ones earlier.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

ok, that's good to know. i have been doing the lunge stretch and holding it. I wasn't sure when pt would introduce it into my routine.

I just started real, normal lunges this week, dallison.  I was doing some modified ones earlier.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

I did lunges today too!  In the pool.  

My usual PT is one of the newer ones on staff - I think she graduated 2-3 years ago.  Today my session was with the "hip expert" (who has also had one of her hips done) so she did a little deeper evaluation, etc.

I asked her the tendonitis question and she said there are a lot of theories, but no one really knows.   I should have told her that my running forum buddies already figured that out.  lol   She also repeated that they don't see problems with it with their rehab and said to don't freak out about everything that's on the internet.

We talked about running for a bit and she hasn't done anything over 5ks post-surgery, by choice.  Her take is that for someone with poor hip structure to be successful running, you have to be on top of all the cross-training and keeping up with the strength work and she doesn't have enough time to commit to doing that.   Basically, crappy hips make it harder to not get hurt.  (Yeah, I kinda figured that part out already lol)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I don't need to be successful at running.  I know I suck already.

I may limit my running at some point in my life; I don't know.  But I know I'll be running longer than a 5K.  I wonder how your PT would feel about walking from Georgia to Maine.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I think she meant successful as in not injured. lol  We're setting the bar low here.

I don't really know what to make of her comments.  She wasn't directly saying don't do it, more like be prepared to have to do a lot of other stuff to try to stay healthy... but the tone was leaning towards a 'you're taking a risk' sort of thing.... especially if my other hip is already not perfect.  

Prince of Fatness

Her take is that for someone with poor hip structure to be successful running, you have to be on top of all the cross-training and keeping up with the strength work and she doesn't have enough time to commit to doing that.   Basically, crappy hips make it harder to not get hurt.  (Yeah, I kinda figured that part out already lol)

I have come to this conclusion as well.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Do you guys feel like you're injury prone aside from this?  I don't feel like that I am.  Maybe it'll all go to shit when I am older, but so far this has been my only real running "injury" over 6 years.  If I had continuous other issues, maybe I would feel more like your PT, but I do not feel like I am an injury prone person.  (Knock on wood...the running gods will smite me for saying that, I am sure.)

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I have yet to have one full year of running in four years without some period of it with me injured. Things started really going south for me injury wise when I was 32 or so before I started running though. For some reason I thought running would be a better option lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I hiked a little over 6 miles (2 hours) today.  It was hard to tell how things were feeling, since I still have some lingering DOMS from PT.  I think my joint may have gotten a little achy toward the end - it was hard to tell.  Could just have been an adductor acting up too.  I don't feel too different just sitting here at home now, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Running is dumb.