Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

I think Dr. Kelly and a few others from HSS also have an appointment at Vincera - but what I don't know is if you need to call Kelly to get the appt at Vincera or if Vincera will set appts for him, etc. etc.   It's worth looking in to though, the name comes up often as an option for Philly folks.   Good luck!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hi JB!  Welcome, although it is an unfortunate welcome.  I hope you get some answers soon.

I believe this blogger had his surgery with Parvizi.  http://www.captainapplesauce.com/fai/righthip.php

Running is dumb.

JB52

Thanks guys! I called Vincera and the earliest Dr. Coleman can see me is sept 17. They never mentioned a Dr. Kelly so I'm assuming I would have to call HSS...what does that stand for?

Madison: I literally just found that blog late last night but thanks for posting it! I'm going to read through it when I can and see how the person's experience was with the doctor.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thanks guys! I called Vincera and the earliest Dr. Coleman can see me is sept 17. They never mentioned a Dr. Kelly so I'm assuming I would have to call HSS...what does that stand for?

Madison: I literally just found that blog late last night but thanks for posting it! I'm going to read through it when I can and see how the person's experience was with the doctor.

You're welcome!

http://www.hss.edu/

Hospital for Special Surgery

Running is dumb.

JB52

You're welcome!

http://www.hss.edu/

Hospital for Special Surgery

Thanks again!

Hip Redux

Sept 17 isn't too bad!  I waited four weeks for my guy too.

JB52

Sept 17 isn't too bad!  I waited four weeks for my guy too.

Yea I know, I'll have waited two weeks to see Dr. Parvizi by next Wednesday. I'm just anxious because if I need surgery, which unfortunately I think I do, I want to get it done ASAP. I have a ski trip in February and I've read about a guy who had his labral tear repaired and was back skiing in 4.5 months. It would be awesome if I could do that but from reading here it seems like 6 months is the norm for back to 100%.

Hip Redux

Yea I know, I'll have waited two weeks to see Dr. Parvizi by next Wednesday. I'm just anxious because if I need surgery, which unfortunately I think I do, I want to get it done ASAP. I have a ski trip in February and I've read about a guy who had his labral tear repaired and was back skiing in 4.5 months. It would be awesome if I could do that but from reading here it seems like 6 months is the norm for back to 100%.

Saw that you found your way to the Surgeon's group page on FB!  Good information there, for sure.

It may be that you have to wait to see the right surgeon, but that can make all the difference in the world in terms of a faster recovery, IMO.  

dallison

registered pw

teehee, yup, i was able to squeek one of those out. I am starting to get close to 20 miles per weekend! I have been trying to run some distance on the trails on saturday mornings and then run on the water treadmill for an hour afterwards. The combination of trails and treadmill have really helped. If anyone can find one and use it, i HIGHLY recommend it. There is a water jet that is waist high. You can adjust where it hits and the strength and you feel like a new person afterwards.

I am 5 miles short of 100 this month. I can probably get 110 if i need to. If you follow my log, that is exactly how i am feeling. I have almost zero barely there aches in my hip. After a long running weekend, i feel a little creaky about a day or two afterwards, but not bad.

The only real issue i have is my right knee. It hurt before surgery and it did again after. Most of the pain has subsided and i haven't tackled that issue yet. Hopefully it goes away.

I might be running a 5k this weekend. I am hoping that i can run it under 21 minutes taking it easy, we'll see.

My wife and i were running on the AT this weekend and we stopped around the 4.2 mile mark and she stopped and wanted to turn around as her legs were getting tired. I wanted to go a little bit farther like we did the previous weekend. It was a bout a 1/2 mile farther out. Well, b/c i wanted to go farther, she ended up falling and spraining her ankle pretty good. I feel so bad that she can't run for a few weeks.

Luckily she goes to the same gym i use the water treadmill at and they do PT there. They are going to have her running in the water by Thursday.

If I log stalk Dallison, I see that he did a 10 mile run over the weekend!  Wow!

I had a little bit of groin pain toward the end of my run on Monday...thought it was just the adductor, but then tonight I started having some groin pain while just normal hiking.  Sigh.  Looks like I'm on running hiatus and back to the bike for at least a few days.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

You really are superhuman, Dallison lol

I started up PT again this week with my "old" place (the place I did my pre-op PT at) and my range of motion is *exactly* the same as it was pre-op, except for internal rotation.  Crazy, huh?   But my hip rotators and hip flexors are way weak (yep, knew that) so she feels there's more work to do.   She also said that my TFL was "a rock" which I don't think is a good thing lol

JB52

Saw that you found your way to the Surgeon's group page on FB!  Good information there, for sure.

It may be that you have to wait to see the right surgeon, but that can make all the difference in the world in terms of a faster recovery, IMO.  

Yea they have been extremely helpful over there in addition to here! Parvizi sounds legit, and some people in the FB group have had surgery done by him and have been very pleased so I'm confident in him. I called Vincera and apparently Kelly and Ranawat no longer work out of that office anymore, they are strictly in NYC. I may schedule an appointment with Dr. Coleman just to have a second opinion but I'm not sure yet, I don't want to burn unnecessary PTO days when I may need them if I wind up getting the surgery done.

I forgot to ask this when I introduced myself: how was everyone's pain level prior to getting the surgery? Could you do mostly everything or was pretty much any movement painful? For me, nothing hurts during it but if I do knee flexion to 90 degrees or greater (think squats, lunges, etc), the following days I am in pain. It affects me so much that I have an altered gait so I'm not putting equal weight on my right side, and it "burns" to sit down for those couple days after. I "feel" it when I'm lying on my right side in bed but it's not painful, but it's still there. So definitely on my mind 24/7 but it's not debilitating but still pretty frustrating. Just wondering how you guys were prior to surgery.

@Dallison: It's awesome to hear how well you are doing! Sorry about your wife though, at least it's only a couple weeks and not several months like you had to endure, hopefully she makes a speedy recovery.

Hip Redux

My pain started off as exclusively happening only during running.  Painfree pretty much the rest of the time.  Which is partly why it took so long to get diagnosed I think because it was "just" a running thing.    Then as I got closer to surgery (about 8 months post original injury), I started to ache a lot, especially after hard work outs, etc.

Too bad about Kelly being back in NYC only!

JB52

My pain started off as exclusively happening only during running.  Painfree pretty much the rest of the time.  Which is partly why it took so long to get diagnosed I think because it was "just" a running thing.    Then as I got closer to surgery (about 8 months post original injury), I started to ache a lot, especially after hard work outs, etc.

Too bad about Kelly being back in NYC only!

Good (well relatively hah) to know that you were pain free pretty much the rest of the time. It is unfortunate about Kelly but I've been researching doctors and am now going to see Dr. Salvo next Tuesday. He has worked with various philly sports teams and teaches other doctors how to do hip arthroscopy so I'm confident in him.

For the full-time workers, how much time did you have to take off from work? I work a desk job at a bank and there is a sick leave policy so I can use it, but just wondering how long it took you to get back to work.

Hip Redux

I took two weeks fully off, 2 weeks PT work from home and then 2 weeks back to full time with PT work from home.   Then of course, FT work from the office after the 6 week mark.  I would not want to try to work from the office regularly while still on crutches.   It was exhausting!

JB52

I took two weeks fully off, 2 weeks PT work from home and then 2 weeks back to full time with PT work from home.   Then of course, FT work from the office after the 6 week mark.  I would not want to try to work from the office regularly while still on crutches.   It was exhausting!

Ok, thanks for the info! Looks like I'll be making best friends with netflix and my laptop hah. How long was it until you were off crutches?