Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

RARIMM

Hi, all!

I was diagnosed with a  femoral acetabular impingement and  labral tear. I had surgery 9/11, was on crutches for four weeks, on one crutch for two weeks. I've been in PT for 8 weeks and I have 7 sessions left! Today I walked 4 miles and it felt great.

The surgery itself wasn't that bad; it was less painful than the pain I had been living with. The worst part about the surgery was the traction use d to position the patient because hips are hard to access. There was swelling post-op but I was off of pain meds after 4 or 5 days.

The only issue I have now is a "clicking" sound that's most likely related to scar tissue stretching/thinning out. I felt very prepared by my surgeon and would say I've had a great outcome.

I definitely recommend the surgery, especially if you're active and athletic. That said, I will never put my body through miles and miles of pounding runs again. I will do some 5ks, swim, lift light weights, cycle.

I hope everyone recovers soon!

peace.

kilkee

runktrun

Glad to hear you're doing well! Smile  Where did you have your surgery, if you don't mind me asking.  I'm in the process of weighing the pros and cons...

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

RARIMM

Thank you.

RARIMM

I live along the MS Gulf Coast. My surgeon was Matthew Lewis-he's with Bienville Ortho in Ocean Springs, MS. He recently completed a Fellowship in Arthroscopic Labral tear repair. I hope this helps! I vascullated about posting because everyone heals differently and there are so many factors to consider Ina patient to patient basis.

RARIMM

*on a patient to patient

kilkee

runktrun

Oh, of course everyone is different, but a vote of confidence helps!  Thanks.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

mylestones

Just wanted to check in and thank everyone for the great advice and support in this thread. I had the surgery (right hip labral repair, femoral osteoplasty) on 9/23 and am now 9 weeks out. I feel great and am so glad I went ahead with the surgery. That said, I am a little anxious about the idea of getting back to running (my goal for having the surgery was to get back to a point where I could train). My surgeon said I could return to sport at 12 weeks. Right now, I'm just doing elliptical and bike, but nothing very intense. I walked 3 brisk miles with zero pain and felt great during and after. I'm wondering what all of your experiences were with returning to running. At what point were you able to start back up and did you encounter any setbacks? Did anyone find a good return to running plan? Everything I've found online is for someone with a stress fracture, nothing customized for hip surgery or being out 12+ weeks.

Appreciate any insight and stories about what has worked, what to consider as I think about lacing back up in the coming month.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I attempted to return to run around 12 weeks post op and my psoas flared up within a few weeks, like a brutal flare up. I thought something was torn again. I am now 8 months post op and am running little bits at a time, slowly. The recovery process is painfully slow. But I have no pain now!

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I should add that I got about 3 months of running in before my psoas flared up, so that was around 6 months post op. I took 2 months off completely to rest it and strengthen and it has been holding up really well so far.

Murph28

Hi I had my surgery for a torn labrum and cam impingment on Oct 29th. I will be post op 5 weeks this Thursday. My doc said it was a pretty significant tear, he said he usually uses 2 anchor points I had 4. I have to say it went really well, very little pain and my PT says I am ahead of the plan of the therapy. This past Friday something changed I now have some tightness at the top of my thigh about where the joint is. I had some new pain in the groin which seems to have subsided as of today, but the tightness is still there in the front of the hip/thigh. I have not done any weight bearing and have been careful with moving my leg too much. Friday night when it started to bother me I had been laying on my bed playing Xbox and noticed I was tightening up my leg while playing. I talked to the therapist today and she thinks I may have put a strain on the muscles in the hip by tightening up those muscles for an extended time, I was playing for about 1.5 hours. Has anyone had where they were pretty much pain free then the muscles get sore? I was running up to the week of my surgery and my PT thinks this has helped with my ability to recover faster than expected so far. I say recover but it means more like little to no pain, or more of a discomfort than anything. I keep worrying I may have done something to the hip but I can't think of anything I could have done. Any advice would be appreciated.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Sounds like it might be your hip flexor. Tendonitis is very common, unfortunately. Are you laying on your stomach or stretching the hip flexor at all?

My new groin pain was my psoas. I have been aggressively stretching it and it has resolved. During PT, the therapist focused on stretching the hip flexor between exercises.

Murph28

I called the doctors office today and his assistant said it sounded like hip flexor tendonitis. He said if it got any worse in the next couple of weeks to give them a call. I am limited with PT right now to the program the doctor wants done. Most of the stuff I'm doing doesn't even feel like it is stretching anything. Before my surgery I had thought I had a psoas problem. I will talk with her tomorrow and see what she might be able to do for me. Next week I get to start weight bearing as tolerated which also means I can start doing the next phase of the therapy. Thanks for the reply I have been worried I may have done something but just couldn't think of anything that I may have done.

Hip Redux

The psoas can definitely do a lot of really whacky things when it comes to joint pain. I would bet on that before anything else.  Just listen to your doc and PT!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

How is everyone doing? I am trying to ease my way into running. Most of the time I feel great, sometimes the hip feels...weird. Not really pain but just weird. I am hoping that goes away.

Murph28

I started walking without crutches on 12/9. I had more pain in my calf and foot than the hip once I started walking. It is now 11 days that I have been walking on my own and it is doing really good. I have some discomfort in the groin upper thigh area. If I spend a lot of time standing or walking I feel it later in the evening. My therapist says I am doing really good and wants to give me something that is a little more challenging but she said she has to follow the doctors protocol. I see the doctor this Wednesday so I will see what he has to say. I am thinking he will release me back to work starting 12/28 so that will be the test on how well it is really doing. Last night there was a Christmas 5k night run. Everyone had bells on there shoes and headlamps. They strung Christmas lights all along portions of the path and had other lights on the path to help see. I happened to drive by as the race was going on and I got that feeling inside me that I really really really miss running.