Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

JanaLamb

I know what you mean! Not that it's painful, but it can be really uncomfortable especially when running. It happens mainly when running. I'm not sure if it's just some random thing or a serious condition.

I wish I could tell you that that totally goes away, but so far for me it hasn't.  I feel normal 100% of the time during routine, daily activities.  Even when hiking long distances and climbing mountains I feel pretty normal, like I don't feel too much of a difference between hips.  But running can be hit or miss.  Sometimes my hip does exactly what you said -- it just feels weird.  It's not really pain, but it feels different than my other hip.  Running is the main activity where this happens.  I can bike forever without that weird feeling.  I mostly get that weird feeling in the later stages of longer runs, but occasionally it happens at random times too.  Sometimes it lingers, sometimes it goes away.

That said, my hip has been really, really good this month.  I should easily break 100 miles for December and I had a really good long run of 13 miles.  So there's hope!  No, it's not marathons, but at this point I'm happy with what I've been able to do and don't think I've hit my ceiling yet.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Hip Redux

Bummer about all the new faces, but welcome. Smile

My fixed hip is sort of like Mandy's - pretty much everything feels 100% normal.... except running.  I'd say it's fine 95% of the time, but every once and a while it just feels off.  I haven't pushed the mileage at all though because of the tear in the other hip, but I have several done several 6 milers ok.

kilkee

runktrun

I know what you mean! Not that it's painful, but it can be really uncomfortable especially when running. It happens mainly when running. I'm not sure if it's just some random thing or a serious condition.

So you also have a torn hip labrum?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Sigh. My hip feels great but my SI joint is giving me grief now. I have an MRI on the 25th to my low back to check it out. Anyone else deal with SI joint crap? How can I get some relief? It's making me freaking crazy.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Hip Redux

Sigh. My hip feels great but my SI joint is giving me grief now. I have an MRI on the 25th to my low back to check it out. Anyone else deal with SI joint crap? How can I get some relief? It's making me freaking crazy.

Yep.

It's finally getting better but I have no idea why.  I do notice that if my psoas is unhappy, the SI is unhappy.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

My psoas feels pretty good, actually. WTF.

kilkee

runktrun

My right SI is the bane of my existence.  I used to feel/hear a clunking sound with every step.  The right side of my pelvis usually rotates and gets stuck (though many medical professionals will tell you that your pelvis and sacrum physically cannot move enough to get stuck or "slip out.").  Good glute engagement has helped me a lot.  Working on proper squat form to get my glutes firing and then progressing to complicated plyometric moves that work my entire posterior chain at once has pretty much forced my pelvic to realign itself.  I've also been working on strengthening my deep abdominals to naturally hold my pelvis in neutral position.  A lot of people have an anteriorly rotated pelvis (think arched lower back and tight quads and hip flexors).

I avoid yoga and especially traditional hip stretches like pigeon pose.  These only put unbalanced stressed on the joint.

I also roll my back on a tennis ball to loosen spazzing muscles.  My hot spot is my right QL - I feel it just to the right of my spine near my final rib.  This is more painful than rolling my glutes on a tennis ball, but it relieves some tension on the SI.

I used to go to a chiro, and I would feel immediate relief (in the way of no high hammy tightness), but I started to worry about the amount of trauma my SI joint was experiencing being forcibly "cracked" back into position.  There may be a place for a chiro in your rehab, but I think the manipulations really need to be coupled with long-term functional movement exercises.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

The physical therapist at work (I am a nurse at a home health agency) is going to give me some exercises and stretches to do for this stupid SI joint. I love working in health care. lol

Hip Redux

I also roll my back on a tennis ball to loosen spazzing muscles.  My hot spot is my right QL - I feel it just to the right of my spine near my final rib.  This is more painful than rolling my glutes on a tennis ball, but it relieves some tension on the SI.

This is me!!  My psoas, QL, SI joint all get unhappy together is seems - but there is one spot where the QL connects near the ribs that is always just a knot.

kilkee

runktrun

Yeah, it's enough to bring louds gasps and chirps of stifled pain while my really attractive PT kneads his fist into my flesh in front of everyone else at the gym.

Dmlc

I had Si pain for years before surgery. And after the surgery it was even worse because of me limping around. My dr sent me for a si joint injection so I could focus more on hip recovery and it hasn't hurt since and my injection was in June. I am so happy! I've been back  running 3/4 days a week and I feel great! Just trying not to push it too much.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I had an MRI and it's not my SI joint. My back is fine. Next step is an MRI on the hip again. I'm super bummed right now. Doc is talking about going back in.

Hip Redux

I had an MRI and it's not my SI joint. My back is fine. Next step is an MRI on the hip again. I'm super bummed right now. Doc is talking about going back in.

Oh no.  What does he think is going on that needs another surgery??

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

He isn't sure, either another tear, a need for debridement, or regrowth of bone. Maybe scar tissue, too.

kilkee

runktrun

stfu - don't despair (yet...); mechanical SI issues are hardly noticeable on MRI/xray.  I have arthritis in both SI joints and one doc said the joint looked like it was a mess, one said I was totally fine, and a third didn't really say what was wrong but told me that lasers would fix it (yeah, seriously).  Through trial and error, I was able to figure out how the joint feels and is positioned when I am running well versus when I experience the most pain.  Unfortunately, it's really not a science and most PTs really can't just palpate over the joint and tell you it's too high/rotated/stuck/subluxed/totally fine...no matter how good they are.

Another hip MRI/MRA wouldn't be a bad idea, but an MRI of your SI really can't definitively rule out any joint dysfunction.  So...it might not be your labrum...yay?

Has a PT checked your SI function this way:?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdACVi825gY

You can try to do this yourself and compare movement in the good side to the bad side and see if you can notice any differences on days with less pain.

Here's another good video of an SI reset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDmmeh4jNJU

when he puts his fists between his knees and squeezes, I do something similar but with a small exercise ball between my knees and with my feet on the floor.  That usually pops my symphisis pubis, which then lets my SI move freely.

The other piece of my puzzle was getting my glutes to fire and thus limiting the amount of stress my hammies were putting on my hips.

Best of luck.  I hope it's not your hip!!