Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I have graduated to TTWB (toe touch weight bearing). I suck at it. lol

Today I woke up and my hip was super stiff and sore, likely from sleeping in one position for so long. It seems to have calmed down a bit now. I'm going to my daughter's first softball game today with the family. I'm a little nervous about it. I figure if I get uncomfortable, I can go sit in the car and put the seat way back.

How is everyone else doing?

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

nina5678

I'm healing much faster than I thought. Starting today I've been walking sans crutches at home, but I still take them both when I go outside my place. I've also had two nights of not sleeping with any support - I just couldn't get relaxed! But my PT said I can sleep on my non-op side with a pillow between my legs and flat on my stomach if my feet are off the mattress. Basically, I just need to be careful. But I have zero pain, and as I use pain as my guide, I'm all good.

Today is my last day using the CPM machine and I am SO EXCITED to get this thing off my couch and get the ice machine outta here and I can have my living room back to normal.

^^Toe touch weight bearing sounds hard!!

Savor the ice machine, you will miss it! Dont try to walk too soon even when you thinknyoure ready, ive been there and it does not help.

nina5678

Savor the ice machine, you will miss it! Dont try to walk too soon even when you thinknyoure ready, ive been there and it does not help.

I haven't used the ice machine in nearly a week. It's still here though because the guy and I keep playing phone tag...it's all packed up and ready to go.

I'm only walking sans crutches very carefully around my little condo. Going anywhere outside of it I take my crutches!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I have been off crutches for a few days and everything seems to be holding up nicely.

Except my stupid left hip (the "good" one, though there is a tear in it). I am seeing the doc Monday and will see what the plan of action is. I'm so sick and tired of being in pain.

Murph28

I have been off crutches for a few days and everything seems to be holding up nicely.

Except my stupid left hip (the "good" one, though there is a tear in it). I am seeing the doc Monday and will see what the plan of action is. I'm so sick and tired of being in pain.

I was on crutches no weight bearing for 6 weeks, doctor said he was very conservative. That was the worst part of the surgery. By the end of week 5 I was going bonkers. When I was able to weight bear again I was so happy. Hopefully this fixes your hip for good. I just had my 6 month check up and my doctor said I was good to start running. I have been biking and elliptical for the last month.and a half. I did a very easy 1/2 mile last week, mowed the lawn and did a few other things around the house. Now my lower back is killing me, some groin pain, and IT band pain around the incisions. I hope I am not in the same situation as you, but it is hard to not think that way every time I get some pain and it doesn't go away quickly. I too have impingement in my "good" hip but I do not think it has tore yet. I feel it pinch when I sit sometimes. I was hoping to have it fixed at the end of the year but my surgeon dropped my insurance.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Well the doc is going to fix the other hip. I am waiting on the surgery scheduler to schedule it. Of course he is out of town next week. I have 4 weeks of leave left so I will probably have to go back to work on light duty just a couple of weeks after the left is fixed. I am so stressed about it right now. Why can't we just have normal hips?

dallison

registered pw

2 years post op and all is well. The achiness in your hip will go away eventually. it may take a year or two but keep at it.

I have been running 100-150 mile months with small nagging achilles injuries. I just reduce the mileage and it seems to help.

I had just run my second marathon in 6 months and keep dropping my pr. I ran a 3:20 on a very hilly course yesterday. Non of this has aggravated my hip and i feel pretty good compared to past marathons.

All i can say is to really start slowly and do not rush anything. You can gradually increase your mileage but don't work on speed until at least after a year. Just be happy that you can run again.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

My two year surgery date is fast approaching!  I finally don't think about that hip on a daily basis....

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm over two years post-op now, but I can't say that all the achiness has gone away like Dallison (congrats on the awesome PR, by the way!)  I still get achy during longer runs and I think I always will.  I don't think marathons and ultras in my future.  Every day life and biking have been totally pain free though!

I can't seem to keep my left foot (operated side) healthy since I've resumed running "higher" mileage (30-40mpw.)  Right now I'm dealing with some posterior tibial tendonitis.  It just seems like there's always something.  I wasn't injury prone in the past, so all these smaller injuries that I've been dealing with have been super frustrating.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

That's great to hear you are doing well as well. I bet it will take a few years for you to sort out the nagging injuries. I would guess from things settling and getting used to their new positions. It's like earthquakes. When there is one in japan, a few weeks later there is one in turkey.

I'm over two years post-op now, but I can't say that all the achiness has gone away like Dallison (congrats on the awesome PR, by the way!)  I still get achy during longer runs and I think I always will.  I don't think marathons and ultras in my future.  Every day life and biking have been totally pain free though!

I can't seem to keep my left foot (operated side) healthy since I've resumed running "higher" mileage (30-40mpw.)  Right now I'm dealing with some posterior tibial tendonitis.  It just seems like there's always something.  I wasn't injury prone in the past, so all these smaller injuries that I've been dealing with have been super frustrating.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I just had surgery on my left hip this morning. He did a reconstruction with cadaver graft on it. I'm glad just in case the repair didn't heal right or something. I have a femoral block right now so the leg is super numb, which I hate. I'm feeling okay, just really tired. Pain is tolerable.

kilkee

runktrun

I hope this marks the beginning of many years of happy hips for you!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

mylestones

Just a word of encouragement to those who are dealing with hip issues. I had surgery (labral repair and femoral osteoplasty) last September, and it went well. Recovery has been slow but steady without any major setbacks. I was frustrated by the 3+ months of zero running, and at how cautious the return to run program was (couch to 5k). But this week I finally got back up to 40 miles a week and the hip isn't cranky at all! This morning I finished a 12 mile run at my old long run pace, even threw in the final mile at my old marathon pace. And my legs were tired, sure, but the hip felt pretty darn good. I will probably need surgery on the other hip too, but for now, I'm trying to get at least one solid marathon cycle in before going back in for surgery.. Just wanted to share a story of (relative) success. So glad I had the surgery and can run (mostly) pain free again!

nina5678

I'm almost 10 weeks post-op...so close to being able to run again!! I'm recently back to dancing, doing yoga videos on youtube, and going to start dabbling in more to see where i am at. I took an acrobatic chair workshop today and actually didn't have to modify anything. It was awesome.

When did you guys start sleeping on your operated side? I wake up in the middle of the night in pain and I can only think it's from laying on my left (op) side.