Runners Achilles Tendonitis (Read 272 times)

Scooterscott

Just chiming in since my achilles has been irritating me for over a year and a half.  The usual RICE for starters and the calf drops have worked so far.  This is my first full week back after a 2 month break, so very early in the returning.  If you have not had the chance also think about gait analysis, even a very basic one.  it will help identify proper shoes and a good one might even piont out areas to work on to balance your gait.

The healthcare side in me says if your achilles problems are early, take as much care as possible because they are very slow and very difficult to heal.

jmcfarlandrunner

Unfortunately, I'm still dealing with this issue.  My achilles only flares up when I'm running.

I find that I can get a few miles in before the inflammation starts if I use a massage stick before my run.

I've come to the conclusion that a significant rest period is the only answer for me, which destroys my training for a marathon.

Any other remedies out there are greatly appreciated. Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Any other remedies out there are greatly appreciated. Smile

My tendonitis got better after I resumed taking daily multi-vitamin/minerals.  Cause & effect?  I don't know.

jmcfarlandrunner

I've been bad about taking my multi-vitamins consistently.

I'll give this a try.  I've already come to a point that I'll try anything to get past this. Smile

stshipley7

I've been bad about taking my multi-vitamins consistently.

I'll give this a try.  I've already come to a point that I'll try anything to get past this. Smile

Sadly, this may mean that we have to stop running for a while to get past it. I'm on my 3rd day of rest, and I have been doing eccentric heel lifts, yoga, and stretching. We'll see how it holds up for a simple 3 mile run tomorrow morning.

-STS

Beavis

I have been having the same issue.  The first time it flared up was after a 5 mile run at a fairly aggressive pace.  I took almost 3 days off then ran 13 miles and it seemed fine throughout the run.  The next couple days it was just very slightly sore.  I ran again last night and it was the same just slightly sore and if i move it the right way today it is the same.

I cant see stopping my training, however, i dont want to make an injury worse.

Any more suggestions from those that have ran through this and been ok or healed?

L Train

Things that helped me:

- heel lifts in my shoes

- no hills or speed

- after running alternate foot in hot bucket and ice bucket for 20 minutes.

- an extreme measure; cutting the heel tab off my shoe

-  heel drops, but only after I was mostly better

Going thru it now actually,.haven't run in over a week but this has helped me alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6EKuuZ7C2E

stshipley7

Things that helped me:

- heel lifts in my shoes

- no hills or speed

- after running alternate foot in hot bucket and ice bucket for 20 minutes.

- an extreme measure; cutting the heel tab off my shoe

-  heel drops, but only after I was mostly better

I have very mild lifts in my 4mm drop shoes. That has helped.

I have not done hill workouts or speed work, and have been avoiding seriously hilly routes. That has helped

I have been icing post run. The help for that isn't obvious since it doesn't really hurt in the later stages of my run.

I have been doing the eccentric heel drops for about two weeks.

I was able to do 8.4 miles yesterday, and was mostly pain free after, though as it tends to do, it gets sore after dinner. Occasionally I'll take an NSAID at night.

I feel like this is progress, but, I haven't signed up for the 10 mile or half marathon, but I have to by 8/31. I'm hoping I can show improvement by then.

-STS

stshipley7

Going thru it now actually,.haven't run in over a week but this has helped me alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6EKuuZ7C2E

I have done almost exactly this, though I'm using the approach that was posted earlier in the thread which revolves around "six". Six reps, with 6 second slow drop, done 6 times a day. I'm actually to a point where it's more like 7's (7 reps, 7 seconds per rep, 7 times a day).

-STS

Good video links in this thread.  Thanks.