Can i get some opinions on obstacle course runners? (Read 170 times)

Jshoe168

My opinion on obstacle course runners is that they are much like the people that do cross fit. Hey, you asked.

obiebyke

Holy wow. All these posts by this jshoe168 fellow are spam.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I know, but it was too easy to pass up.

Jshoe168

Lol, i just wanted peoples opinions and inputs so i can get a better understanding. But maybe im asking for too much and people just dont care to read that much. Thought id try polls but same results.

kcam

Lol, i just wanted peoples opinions and inputs so i can get a better understanding. But maybe im asking for too much and people just dont care to read that much. Thought id try polls but same results.

LOL, you're the guy who knocks on your door at 6:30PM on a weekday while holding a clipboard.  I either don't answer the door or open it and tell the guy to get lost.

Jshoe168

haha okay, so how do i delete these posts? id rather not annoy people. honestly this was all for educational purposes only. thought people would be more helpful.

Not dead. Yet.

Here's my advice for next time:

1) Make one post.  Don't litter the board with several different threads and polls asking the same thing.

2) If you want people opinions, ask for that.  Don't make a list of detailed questions for which you expect answers to.  I don't to write an essay for some random person on the internet who may or may not be figuring out how best they can try to sell something to me

3) Nobody makes up a list of questions to ask about obstacle races just so they can decide whether they want to run one or not.  Be honest about what project you are working on, or why you want the feedback.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Jshoe168

oh and maybe you could give me some advice on a better way to approach this so i can get some feedback. maybe just simpler questions or maybe i need to connect to people more? idk..

Jshoe168

mikeymike

The events you are asking about are a fitness fad right now but are not really popular among runners. Most of the participants in those events are just regular people like the out of shape couch potatoes who sit in the cube farm over the wall from me and recently did a tough mudder then spent half a week talking about it and showing everyone the pictures.

In other words RunningAhead dot com is probably not the best place to find opinions on these types of events. Most people on here are distance runners--some very competitive, some not.

The concept of lumping together Obstacle Course Events, Races and Running is kind of nonsensical to most people here.

Elbow pads? FFS.

Runners run

Not dead. Yet.

I ran one.  It was fun.  I wore open fingered gloves because I thought it would make the ropes on the obstacles easier to handle.  They ended up getting soaked in mud and heavy and I wished I had not worn them by the time the thing was over.

I'd like to run another more difficult one at some point just to prove to myself that I am up for the challenge, but I focus on running so the regular races (road and trail) are where I will be doing most of my competing.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Jshoe168

I can understand where you are coming from. I am probably looking at the wrong site for this information. I just thought it would be similar enough for those who actively run to participate but im probably wrong. And yes i have heard and seen many people who dont like this new fad thats becoming more popular especially runners because as you stated some are just couch potatoes. But hey if it gets them off the couch its worth something to say the least. And yes pads haha, because you crawl on your knees and legs for certain obstacles. Its more for fun then competitive although some do it competitively. Its great though, thanks for sharing your opinion.

Jshoe168

Hey sdizazzo, yeah from what i read ive heard of from similar stories, some people prefer gloves to prevent blisters and for grip support but then those gloves become drenched in mud and water that they become too heavy and more of a burden on the user that they just throw them away. I think it depends on what glove you have also. I also noticed lots of people tend to participate in these events just to see if they can do it, sort of like another challenge. Im glad you mentioned these as i noticed these were big trends for participants.

I am like the majority of others on this site. I would rather run a competitive, long distance race, rather than a mud run. I have done one big mud run and it was fun. I don't know if I will do it again or not. I also did a "zombie" run with some friends. I think I WILL make that an annual planned event because I really like the charity it supports and it has gotten a LOT of my friends off the couch and into running.

As for gear... I took nothing special to either. In fact, I knew I was getting muddy, so I wore old shoes and gear, and duct taped everything to my body. I also spent my run looking for photo ops, rather than pushing for a time. (1 hour and 9 minutes for a 5k, LOL...) I really have nothing to add.