Hill - should i do it, or be conservative? (Read 734 times)

Hi, you can tell from my log I am still a new and under experienced runner. If you're gonna look at it, please don't just look at this month (I was going through a "thing") I dont know if I have officially "gotten a good base" yet or not, but here's my dilemma. i am housesitting for my parents and in their neighborhood is a really good hill. I dont kow how tall or how much rise or whatever, but i know its enough that if you walk up it, you are surely a little winded. I saw some H.S. running kids doing some training on it today and i thought about wanting to try it. I just bought new shoes, and MAY have dodged a IT injury last week, but still - I dont have ANY hills near my house! I just want to try it out once - should I? I was thinking I would do a warm-up lap around the block or maybe 2 for a total distance of approx 1 mile. Then hit the hill. I would start with a downhill and then a very slow uphill. Walk the next downhill and jog the next uphill, followed by one last jog down. I would probably walk up it as my cool down to get back to the house. Does that sound ok? Or should I not even attempt this with my current experience? I'm not usually one to get too excited about going out on a run, but i have to say, I am kinda salivating over this just thinking about it. I'm sure that will quickly change into cursing the whole time if i actually attempt it.

The Greatest of All Time

I say take the hill! Don't kill yourself though. Take it easy, but take the hill!
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      jeffdonahue

Go for it - you can never run too many hills.
          Hills rock..............take it and run (both up and down)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing I have to say about hills is to respect them because they can easily tear you up if you take them too aggresively.
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Hills make running worth doing - go for it! Lots of different ways you can attack it, here's my recomendation: After a bit of a warmup, head up the hill, trying to keep your effort the same as it was on flat ground (you won't really be able to, but try). Obviously your pace will ease up a bit and that's ok. Head up and down a few times that way. Remember, back straight, head up, don't let yourself hunch. On your last one (however many that may be) hit it kinda hard. I wouldn't sprint, but try and make a tempo like effort up that sucker. enjoy!
              Take the hill! You know you want to, because you'd never have asked us otherwise. There it is, taunting you. It's like a giant middle finger, just giving you the eff you. And if you have to walk, fine. I guess warm up a bit. Or, make it your warm up. Then spit on the summit.
                Less talk more action. Wink Hills are an excellent workout, just be careful on the downhill side. Keep your stride short and lean down the hill to stay off your heels. If your knees start to hurt, stop running and walk down. Tom
                  Do it. Big grin Warm up, then introduce yourself to the hill, running gently up and down (whatever works for you). If you haven't done hills before, just take it easy as it may work some muscles more than what they're used to. Keep the same effort going up - conversational - as on the flat, if you can (some may be steep enough that your effort will rise somewhat if you keep running). Stop while you still feel you can do more. From your description, it's hard to tell how big it is - whether it would take you 1 minute, a few minutes, 10 min, or an hour (ok, maybe not an hour if you're thinking of doing it a couple times). Work *with* the hill and don't try to conquer it. Remember good form. Uphill stay vertical - upright and tall; downhill lean forward so body is perpendicular to slope. You might have to take smaller steps both going up and down. http://www.skyrunner.com/story/ups_downs.htm Have fun. Clowning around
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    Take the hill! You know you want to, because you'd never have asked us otherwise. There it is, taunting you. It's like a giant middle finger, just giving you the eff you. And if you have to walk, fine. I guess warm up a bit. Or, make it your warm up. Then spit on the summit.
                    Love this! I'm gonna whoop that Mother-Fer. Or at least give it a good "run" (no pun intended)

skinnycaponesugar

Do it conservatively Smile I got pretty good advice on how to run hills, after hurting my knees going downhill. Lt me see...hmmm...I gotta find out how to link to that other thread... Roll eyes

Love, Run, Sleep

My best advice is to talk to the hill (yell if there is nobody around). I taunt them, tell them they're nothing. Tell them you've seen worse. Sometimes I even swear at them, if I'm hurting by the top. No matter what, don't let it know that it's getting to you. As soon as you admit that you're done for!

-------------------------------------
                        5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                        10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                        1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                        Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Ok I did it!! It felt really good. I had to push myself and talk to the inner me quite a bit, but it was good. I think my knee is paying for it a little bit, maybe i didnt quite dodge an IT injury.....I'm icing right now though and still smiling that I was able to make 4 really good runs up it. THanks for all the encouragement!
                            Excellent for you!
                            Sulli42

Sweet! Nice goin'!