Thinking of getting a coach (Read 271 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I've trained for my last two or three marathons with Hansons, and have enjoyed the process every time.  Before that, I used Pfitz.

My wife, a cyclist, is about to start training up for a century, and she wants to hire a coach.  The guy that has been highly recommended to her from multiple sources is actually a multisport athlete, so theoretically, he might also be able to help me get to the next level (current PR for the marathon is 3:19:53).  We've had an initial phone call with him, and he's willing to train us both for $100/month.  This wouldn't be him meeting us every week for workouts, it would be more along the lines of an initial evaluation (including a bike fit for my wife and a gait analysis for me), writing out a plan, and then a weekly check-in/accountability call, or possible meeting.

Without getting into his qualifications specific to the marathon (which I do have questions about and plan to ask next time we talk - I know that's very important to this decision), what are your thoughts on training with a coach (to the extent described) versus following a book like Hansons/Pfitz/Higdon, modifying it slightly to your needs?  This isn't something I would ordinarily seek out, but we're pretty certain my wife will use him, and if it wouldn't be too much more for him to train me too...

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Feeling the growl again

I've worked with online coaches.  I won't get into names but one was a very high level runner himself who coached for a time...my experience was largely positive...and the other a very well known coach...that experience was largely negative.

With respect to remote coaching, what I do NOT think is worth the money is a training plan.  Unless you are a high level athlete or completely clueless about putting together a training plan, Pfitz/Hansons/Hudson etc gets you there for free.  What I DO think can deliver value is feedback on how your training is going and advice on how to adjust goal times for workouts or workout content based on prior results.

If all they are going to do is give you a training plan, don't waste your time.

My more positive experience was positive because I got those adjustments and feedback....my training was reviewed each week and the next week's plan adjusted based on that.  For my more negative experience, I got the plan in like 12-week blocks and even though I sent in a detailed training log religiously, I never got the promised feedback and adjustment on my training....just boilerplate rah rah comments (and the second, inferior coach was far more expensive than the first).  It got so bad that I was failing workouts miserably, unable to complete them anywhere near recommended pace, and I was told good job, here's the next week of training with even faster paces!

It's all about the feedback, IMHO.  The plan is nothing special.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

I tried running with a group that had a coach here locally. My philosophy and the coach's didn't line up. It was a somewhat frustrating experience for both of us.

I say that just to make the point that it will be much better if you can trust the coach. And if the coach can work with and trust you.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I've had a coach and it's been a very positive experience. In fact, I tell people, that of all the coaches I've had through HS and my low-level college running days, he's by far the best. Even thought he's remote and our primary form of communication is email and trainingpeaks.com, he seems to be spot on with giving me the right training.  It works for me because I would have a tendency to over-train if I came up with my own plan.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It works for me because I would have a tendency to over-train if I came up with my own plan.

This.

I've only had one running coach.  I didn't think I wanted one even after completing my first marathon.  This coach in particular seemed to give out plans and advice that was far too conservative for me "just finish your first; then the next is an automatic PR!".  Not really for me.  He's the community coach and so his athletes range from overweight middleage moms doing their couch to 5K to first marathon, to white-haired people who regularly run Boston.  Later I found out he even coaches a few olympic hopefuls [one who just missed the podium at Nationals this year].

Anyway, he holds track workouts for anyone interested.  I went to a few.  Then I gave him a chance; showed him my log; showed him my goal.  Then he gave me a chance.  He put me in with a group of guys that were above my level, but he thought I could hang.  It took me a year, but I did.

My experience was downright awesome.  He encouraged me, kept my aspirations (delusions) and neurosis (taper) in check with his wisdom, and was a great source of confidence.  I went from 3:31 first marathon to 2:59 three later.  He isn't the reason I improved, but he is the reason I improved so much.

I had a bunch of workouts that tanked, and he was able to look at my log and tell me why.  He kept me from over-training quite a few times.  And it turned out he isn't conservative at all and our philosophies harmonized.

Other than the training plan, and race plan, I only talked to him one-on-one when something was up, usually 3 times a training period.  He has about 120 people he coaches to varying degrees -- all for free.

So my best advice is to forget your $50/mo guy and move to Charlottesville, VA and stop by Ragged Mountain Running Shop.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Best Present Ever

^^^^  What stadjak said.  And here's a nice story about Coach's wife (who is the honorary chair of the 2014 Manchester Road Race), and Coach.  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Is3cjauQaAZ1BuY1dVb0tYU0EzOEhHQm1YcUxyS0p2eHNZ/edit

Each of us is going to be a little different. Some will respond to coaching some won't. And it very much depends on your makeup (disposition) and goals.

I had barely passing to poor coaching in college (high intensity and high volume, without much guidance on recovery or pacing workouts or races, and so always ended up feeling beat up by about the third or fourth week of practice). And if I could live that part of my life again I'd have transferred to a successful DIII or DII program with a good coaching staff. The writing was on the wall even as a freshman newbie. So I learned by coaching myself, making mistakes in college but figuring it out later. And I'm still learning.

The interactivity is important and I've never liked the idea of a 12 or 20 week schedule. You (or your coach) need to have an idea of what to do and when but to say to do 5X 1 mile at 10K pace when September 23 is six weeks away?

Weekly access and interaction are good, but you should first find out what is the coach's training philosophy. In fact a good coach should be able to discern the individuality of the people they are coaching--lots of volume might work for one athlete but not for everyone; same thing for multi-speed training, or lower mileage with or without cross training. If the coach will let you it's not a bad idea to talk to some of the athletes they've worked with. That can help you a lot in making a decision.

I found this community are the best coaches.

I got a free plan from the company's sponsorship. Occasionally I got some comment if I have questions, but not much. A personal plan is $300/month. The coach said he would give me a discount for $99/month if I say good words about him to my VP. I didn't take it.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, we got a nice couch, red leather, in the discount section at the local furniture store. It sure has been easier watching TV since. I highly recommend it.

Feeling the growl again

I found this community are the best coaches.

I got a free plan from the company's sponsorship. Occasionally I got some comment if I have questions, but not much. A personal plan is $300/month. The coach said he would give me a discount for $99/month if I say good words about him to my VP. I didn't take it.

I've been coached by two coaches who have coached elite-level athletes, and neither was that expensive.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

xhristopher

For me I'd just hire a life coach. Running is the easy part and I think we too often overthink it. I could make a good list of low hanging fruit to help my running times and most of it isn't running -- Diet, sleep, reduction in alcohol consumption. Then finding time for another 15-20 easy miles.

Feeling the growl again

For me I'd just hire a life coach. Running is the easy part and I think we too often overthink it. I could make a good list of low hanging fruit to help my running times and most of it isn't running -- Diet, sleep, reduction in alcohol consumption. Then finding time for another 15-20 easy miles.

So you're going to pay someone to adopt your kids and raid your liquor cabinet?  Crude but effective, no doubt.

I've been coached by two coaches who have coached elite-level athletes, and neither was that expensive.

My wife has a summer job as a youth activities coordinator for a local health club. It's pretty low pay but she's enjoying the work.

They asked if she'd be interested in working with a trainer, so she had a consultation the other week--I was skep, she's a former athlete herself--and she did gain some insights,but then they wanted $135 a week!

xhristopher

So you're going to pay someone to adopt your kids and raid your liquor cabinet?  Crude but effective, no doubt.

Life is about balance. I wish I were more productive but in reality I'm probably ahead of the curve.

Screw it. I'm gonna grab another beer. I've earned it. Right?

Feeling the growl again

My wife has a summer job as a youth activities coordinator for a local health club. It's pretty low pay but she's enjoying the work.

They asked if she'd be interested in working with a trainer, so she had a consultation the other week--I was skep, she's a former athlete herself--and she did gain some insights,but then they wanted $135 a week!

Well-heeled Crossfit/Bootcamp/Zoomba targets are probably better targets than runners.  Wink

Granted my experience is now 8-10 years old.  In which time the coach I had bad results with launched a bona fide elite program which folded.