Sport Shield roll-on vs. Body Glide? (Read 2005 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone ever used both? I need to get more Blister Shield powder for in my socks prior to my longest runs (great for eliminating hot spots and keeping feet dry), but I am debating whether or not to give the Two Toms roll-on product a try, too. I have been kind of annoyed in recent months with Body Glide--my last 3-4 sticks have crumbled and broken off of the base with still 1/4 of the product remaining.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

SS works, but it doesn't last as long. BG crumbles when it gets old or the stick has been heated up along the way. SS is a bit more like Ban Roll-on.

JakeKnight

I got stuck with the roll-on for a marathon once because the running place ran out of Bodyglide. I've preferred it ever since. It seems to work better for me.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I think I need to try the SS. I know I can always go back to BG if the SS doesn't work as well for me. srlopez, I wondered if my crumbly recent sticks of BG had in some way been stored poorly. I think my last few have come from Dick's, so maybe they sat in a backroom or hot truck too long.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

You can't trust Dick. (Saturday Night reference: Richard: The new Dick - it's short, sweet, and everybody wants to see it. Pat: Well, no, dear. It's short and sweet. But I don't think everyone wants to see it.)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can't trust Dick. (Saturday Night reference: Richard: The new Dick - it's short, sweet, and everybody wants to see it. Pat: Well, no, dear. It's short and sweet. But I don't think everyone wants to see it.)
              Yeah, sometimes I hate Dick's (plus their prices are WAY too high). What was the SNL routine...is that from one of the more recent seasons? I can't recall what that one is. I need to start watching, again.

~ Sarah Kay

pokey52

Never used the Sport-Shield. Have always used Body Glide. Every once in a while I get one that falls apart, old stock maybe. Whats the deal with the Body Glide with sun screen. As a rule the sun don't shine where I wear it.

IMKY13 finish!!

Whats the deal with the Body Glide with sun screen. As a rule the sun don't shine where I wear it.
                  I was wondering the same thing Confused

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Imminent Catastrophe

I like SS towelettes. I can use them in, uh, places I wouldn't want to use a roll-on. Plus they don't set off the TSA goons when I fly. That stuff is really good-much better than BG IMHO. It's really, really slippery and lasts--it's hard to wash off, even with soap. I have tried Blister Shield and didn't really notice a difference.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Yeah, sometimes I hate Dick's (plus their prices are WAY too high). What was the SNL routine...is that from one of the more recent seasons? I can't recall what that one is. I need to start watching, again.
                      No, it is ancient. Dan Ackroyd doing his Richard Nixon. Jane Curtain as his wife. NOW. As for BG+SPF, it's good to use under shirts that don't provide very good sun protection... and many do not. Also good under singlets. In addition to the nips, I tend to BG where my triceps rub against my lats... when I wear a singlet, that's not covered.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No, it is ancient. Dan Ackroyd doing his Richard Nixon. Jane Curtain as his wife.
                        Man, I HAVE to look for that! I'm sure I've seen it...I think I've seen all the old SNLs. I miss Gilda... *sniff*

~ Sarah Kay

xor

That bit is from one of the later seasons with the original cast (sans Chevy, of course). The set-up is that Nixon is looking to come back and has decided to offer up a bumper sticker with a catchy slogan. The slogan? THE NEW DICK. He thinks it is a cool slogan because: it's short, it's sweet, and everybody wants to see it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think I am now sold on both of the 2 Toms products. I needed a new tub of BlisterShield powder for in my socks before my longest runs, so went ahead and ordered a bottle of the SportShield, since I was nearly out of Body Glide, anyhow. Verdict. After a couple of runs, including today's 13 miler I think I prefer the SportShield. Very fast application compared to BG. I also like that it's available in single use towelette packs that I can stow in a pocket for my marathon--in the event that I need to reapply. I also like that it's a roll-on. My last 3-4 sticks of Body Glide have been a crumbly mess by the time I get to the bottom of the stick and I probably end up throwing out at least a half ounce of $$ product, rather than try to apply the globs and have that waxy crap all over my hands.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Very fast application compared to BG.
                              Huh. How exactly are you applying the BG? (no, this isn't an exercise in voyeurism. I just never considered BG to be slow. Stinky, sure.)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Huh. How exactly are you applying the BG? (no, this isn't an exercise in voyeurism. I just never considered BG to be slow. Stinky, sure.)
                                BG requires a bit more back-and-forth swipes and pressure to cover a given area, say the small of my back where my hydration pack tends to rub. The SportShield requires no pressure and is actually easy to over-apply. Heck, the stuff is so thin and watery that I can apply a stripe or two to just one inner thigh and run a couple strides and it's transferred evenly to both legs. For the gals, it's like applying those roll-on lip glosses, vs. the stick type waxy balms (like Chap-Stick) or like roll-on antiperspirant vs. solids.

~ Sarah Kay