Training change (Read 68 times)

mrmky

I recently started to change how I train. I have been struggling with sore Achilles for a long time, over a year, and have tried almost everything. Since starting to run again after almost a 6 month r&r period and focusing on slow and easy, I have noticed that they still bother me after several miles no matter how easy I go. I got got sucked into a track/sprinting workout w my teenage son and was very surprised when the day after my Achilles did not hurt at all(or at least not anymore than before the workout). I have since started to do more speed work, in very small amounts. An example would be: 1 mile warmup, ~4 x 200(focus on fast and smooth, not quite all out), box jumps, 10x20yd starts, and 100 yds lunges. I usually finish with another mile or two at a very easy pace. I have also started to play soccer once a week, and do random calf drops throughout the week. After all this time injured I don't expect to see quick results, but slow and easy all the time wasn't working so I felt I had to try something else. After just a few weeks, I have noticed a change in leg strength, and am hoping this wil translate into stronger Achilles as well.

Any thoughts or constructive criticisms are much appreciated.

Have you changed shoes? Sometimes that can be a culprit. It can also help changing up what surface you run on. If you've been running on sidewalks, try running on grass or gravel paths.

"Don't feel like running today...suck it up and run ...you're an athlete." (John Stanton, founder & owner of The Running Room)

Three half marathons later, I got a number. Half Fanatic #9292. :)

mrmky

I rotate between 4 different pairs of shoes. I run on the track, streets, and just recently the soccer field.