Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

I assume it's like a never ending tempo run.  

I'm gonna go with a better, more accurate assumption is that it's a 13.1 mile race. But, that's just what people tell me...

Fond memories of wrightsville beach from college senior week, should be a cool place to race.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      I am in as well. I have done 12 marathons, multiple 5K's, but I have never run a half marathon. I assume it's like a never ending tempo run. I am signed up for the pancake flat Wrightsville Beach half in March, and Grandma's full marathon in June. I think I should be able to do it, I have done 13 mile MP runs in 1:34:00 without straining while training for a full. People tell me the half is much less painful and less exhausting than the full, that would be nice.

"13 mile 1:34 MP runs" implies a 3:08 marathon, so by the usual race predictors you should find that a 1:30 marathon is within you - 3:08 marathon should mean something around a 1:29 HM.

(Earlier year I ran 1:29 for the HM, but my PB for the marathon is only 3:21 :/)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Chris UK

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

RunAsics - break the sound barrier - I like it!

Chris UK - cool label!

O.k. I'll give this a go. I ran 1:29 in September but it nearly destroyed me. I didn't give myself enough time to rebuild my base after the Spring 5K season. After three months of miscellaneous aches and pains, I'm just now starting to feel like gearing up for another HM sometime this spring. If things go well then I'll likely try a full 26.2 (my first!) in the fall. 

another HM sometime this spring.

Cool. How 'bout Danbury in April?

Danbury is on my list of possibilities. I'm guessing it's a bit hilly. 

I'm also looking at the NYC Half (http://www.nyrr.org/races/2012/nychalf/index.asp), which would get me guaranteed entry to the NYC Marathon if I were to go sub 90. ;-) The NYCM qualifying standards ratchet up next year, so this may be my last chance. I just don't know if I can be ready by March 18. An extra two weeks might be just enough.

Danbury is on my list of possibilities. I'm guessing it's a bit hilly. 

Good guess. A bunch of rollers, but just one "major" hill though - full mile I think from 9 to 10 up 200 feet, so really not that bad. When you run around here though, you embrace the hill, because there's no other choice.

I just took a look at the course map. I see the 200ft hill at about 9 miles. I figure that one will cost me about 30 seconds or so as long as I don't crash and burn at the top. Not too bad. It's certainly better than running the Fairfield Half in late June. I hate racing in the heat. 

I am in. I ran a 2:05, 1:52, and 1:39 in 2011. Last week I ran over 15 miles in under two hours and that was just a training run, so I think sub 1:30 is realistic.

I have two 1/2 marathons on the calendar for early 2012. Thinking I can hit sub 1:30 for the second one which is the Tom King Half Marathon in Nashville, TN on March 10th. 

--

Nashville, TN

Alright.  Add me to the list.  Not sure what race yet. 

Chris UK

Change of plans for me I'm afraid. Sleaford Half is out. New entries -

Newton's Fraction - Sunday 11th March 2012

Friskney Half - Sunday 8th April 2012

Thanks

Chris

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

all set Chris.

Good luck.

Molly Woodford

After a poorly paced 92:18 in November (pro tip: the first mile of a race should never be two minutes faster than the last mile of a race), I'm shooting for sub-90:00 at the Icebreaker indoor half marathon on January 21.  Hopefully, the availability of pace feedback every 442.8767m should negate my natural tendency to be an idiot.