Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

round and round you go...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

hairshirt knitter

Ok, I've been talking about the sub-1:30 for a while, I'd better commit...

Can you put me down for the Johnny Miles half marathon, Sunday June 17th in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. Ulp...

This is probably a stretch for me (current PR is 1:36-ish) but I'll be attempting at the Oakland Running Festival Half Marathon on March 25th. I'm following the Hanson's plan to train.

Mister Bojangles, you're first up this weekend. All systems go?

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Count me in - 1:29 last year, but not in that shape now. First scheduled HM - Cambridge HM on 11th March.

Plugged yesterday's 5K into McMillian and it projected a 1:29:36. I like the half-marathon course much better than the 5K (flatter with fewer sharp turns and no gravel), so hopefully I can have some buffer for the half. Mister Bojamgles, how did you do yesterday?

--

Nashville, TN

Count me in again. I managed it last year with just a few seconds to spare but would like to do it again to prove it wasnt a fluke! Rebuilding fitness now - first attempt Wellington Half on 26th Feb.

After a poorly paced 92:18 in November (pro tip: the first mile of a race should never be two minutes faster than the last mile of a race), I'm shooting for sub-90:00 at the Icebreaker indoor half marathon on January 21.  Hopefully, the availability of pace feedback every 442.8767m should negate my natural tendency to be an idiot. 

Mister B, any report? No log for a while, hope we didn't lose you...

Molly Woodford

I dropped out ~30 minutes in. I didn't update my log last week because it was embarrassing how little I'd done. I think I ignored some pretty obvious signs of overtraining, such as rapid weight loss, trouble sleeping, and general lack of motivation. I fell off pace very early on, and I didn't feel like extending my misery for another 60+ minutes so I dnf'd. (It's really easy to drop out on an indoor track!) Good luck to everyone else on this thread! I'm sure I'll end up trying again sometime this spring, preferably not at an indoor race.

I have decided to race the Frostbite Half-Marathon in Lebanon, TN this weekend. I am going to go ahead and take a shot at sub-90 instead of just approaching it as a training run.

Was planning for my first sub-90 attempt to be in March, but I ran a 1:40 training run last weekend on tired legs, so I think I may be ready.

--

Nashville, TN

Awesome. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck!

Tiefsa

Put me in again.  I don't have an official date yet, but I'm going to run one at the end of the summer.  Last year this thread really helped to keep me motivated.  I ended up running a 1:35 in 2011.  I know where I went wrong (not enough long runs).

Okay, gonna take my first stab at this at Half at the Hamptons, Hampton Beach N.H. on 2/19. Even if I fail, there's free post-race beer.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

jpdeaux

Okay, gonna take my first stab at this at Half at the Hamptons, Hampton Beach N.H. on 2/19. Even if I fail, there's free post-race beer.

That race fills too quickly for me. Probably gonna go for New Bedford Half again, but not committed yet. Mile 12 hill still gives me nightmares.

Nice. Failure isn't failure if a beer from it's earned.

MTA: But, no failure talk. Go get em.