Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

"We have 3 going for it this weekend. Best of luck to jaxn, Chris UK and pr100...go get em guys, would love to put some in the win column for the thread this year..."

Any updates?

Bueller? Anyone?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

"We have 3 going for it this weekend. Best of luck to jaxn, Chris UK and pr100...go get em guys, would love to put some in the win column for the thread this year..."

Any updates?

Bueller? Anyone?

Update: 

Candice S. of the 2011 hopefuls list ran a 1:28:53 this weekend.   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Awesome. The whole damn TK gang was awesome this weekend. Got me psyched for 3 weeks from now...

Chris UK

Hi - sorry to report I picked up a nasty virus mid-January and have been struggling on and off ever since. I was hoping to build on my 40:28 10k from January 1st but then life kicked me in the proverbials. I think I have also done my IT band slightly with trying too soon on weakened muscles so 3 miles or so is my training limit at the moment - not enough mileage for me to attempt 1:30. I do have a couple of races already paid for - the first on April 8th so if I can build up enough to actually make 13.1 without further injury I will do it. Realistically a 1:30 for me will have to wait until later in the year - I am planning revenge on one in early October. In the immortal words of Arnie "I'll be back."

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

I ran 1:36 at the Cambridge HM yesterday. A little disappointed with that time, although I didn't feel I was in the right shape for sub 90. Irritatingly the battery on my Garmin was flat when I arrived at the race (apparently I'd left it on), so I ran without a watch. I suspect I ran too quickly to begin with as I was suffering in the second half.

Anyway - I'm still keen to get to 90 mins this year - not sure when my next HM will be, but I'll pick out a race sometime soon.

Thanks for the updates. Tough luck Chris, but good healing and we'll see you back later in the year. pr100, same for you. Persistence will pay off.

Black-Toe-Nailed

Hmmm, I'm tempted.

I did 1:39:15 last January in Egmond after 3 weeks of training... I want to do a sub 1:30 but I don't know yet whether to do next year's Utrecht Jaarbeurs half marathon (plus Egmond again, love that one)  and make a sub 30 at my home 10K or if I better do this year a sub 30 in the Utrecht Singelloop 10K (one of the fastest 10K in the world!) and later run the Amsterdam half marathon in October aiming at a sub 1:30.

I love the distance. I could have done better at Egmond but I held back a bit until I realised that I was already over 3/4 of the run... lol. I was wearing my FR60 without the foot pod and I went somewhat confused with the kilometer markings as I am used to miles (it's a long story, not going to bore you with it).

Well, I will post again as soon as I make up mi mind.

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Hmmm, I'm tempted.

I did 1:39:15 last January in Egmond after 3 weeks of training... I want to do a sub 1:30 but I don't know yet whether to do next year's Utrecht Jaarbeurs half marathon (plus Egmond again, love that one)  and make a sub 30 at my home 10K or if I better do this year a sub 30 in the Utrecht Singelloop 10K (one of the fastest 10K in the world!) and later run the Amsterdam half marathon in October aiming at a sub 1:30.

I love the distance. I could have done better at Egmond but I held back a bit until I realised that I was already over 3/4 of the run... lol. I was wearing my FR60 without the foot pod and I went somewhat confused with the kilometer markings as I am used to miles (it's a long story, not going to bore you with it).

Well, I will post again as soon as I make up mi mind.

If you're looking at sub-30 for the 10k, I'd be setting my sights substantially higher than a sub-1:30 HM.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Less than 2 weeks to my HM - 25th March in Vigo, Spain

I know that I haven't done enough training to break 1:30 but if I get below 1:35 I will be happy. Another couple of months training and I'll have a real crack at 1:30 in the summer...

Best of luck to everyone attempting it this weekend !

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

If you're looking at sub-30 for the 10k, I'd be setting my sights substantially higher than a sub-1:30 HM.  

Yeah - there's a world of difference. 30 min 10k should be good for around 1:06 HM.

Spotted that but decided to let him off with that one !!!! Cool

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

evtish

I have only run 1 HM, but was fortunate enough to squeek in under 90.  I think what really helped me was about 2 wks out running a 6.6 miler at pace (it was really hard for me, BTW) and then running some intervals and HM pace work leading up to the race before a couple days of rest.  I found some HM training advice that promoted the idea that leg speed was important so you had to work some "easy" intervals.  Also, I had run 3 weeks in a row of ~14 mile long runs for stamina prior to that. 

You're welcome to look at my log in the Sept-Oct 2010 timeframe.  If you can finish the 6.6 on pace, that should give you confidence. 

Good Luck All.

Update: 

Candice S. of the 2011 hopefuls list ran a 1:28:53 this weekend.   

Thanks Nads Smile

Thanks Nads Smile

I don't like open items.  Neither do you, it seems.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Latest long run (yesterday) not great. Decided to try out the Asics racers I planned to run the race in to see if they could handle the full HM distance but it was a BIG BIG mistake...

Before I had ran 40 mins I had 3 issues that were probably related to the light racers:

• Blister on my right foot - not the end of the world
                                • Severe pain in the bone at the base of my big toe - had to stop to massage it and it was reasonably ok when I switched runners at half way - don't expect this to be a big problem
                                • Worst of all a problem with my left calf that ultimately made me stop at 80 mins (had planned 100 mins). Tried to stretch it but no joy - still sore today Sad

Normally after my long runs I feel ok but today I feel pretty wrecked, body is sore all over. The lack of support with the racers really hurt me

Really hope this doesn't affect my final 2 weeks prep before the HM

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km