Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

Nice job on the place and the PR. Progress is progress. Well done.

Agreed. 

C-R, looks like you're shaving a minute a week.  You should have this wrapped up before May.  Heh. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Lazy idiot

Well, I suppose I'd better make it "official".  I'm going for it on 5/5/12 at the Cap City HM in Columbus, OH. 

I've never felt this strong and fast in a training cycle, and I'm very interested to see what that day holds.

Ran 15 at 7:57 pace on Saturday, and it felt easy until the very end where I felt the effort a bit.  It was beyond the faster end of what I'd intended for the day, but that's what I get for going out running with the local elites.  Oops...

Tick tock

Nice, Drew. Very nice.  15 and 7:57 should give you a huge boost.  That sounds like some good, taxing work to my legs.  What you looking to do in the coming weeks?  Maybe push the pace and the long run length down? 

L Train

Hey Nads there are these cool things that eric developed called training plans that we can view. 

And Drew, nice job - you've been putting in some good work. 

I don't see paces, just your FACE.  Actually not even, thankfully. 

L Train

Well at least one part of your question was answered with the training plan. 

The frightening thing is that even if my face were there for you to see you would miss it because you were moving too fast. 

Just kidding. You have a nice face.

Love,

Nader

Well, I suppose I'd better make it "official".  I'm going for it on 5/5/12 at the Cap City HM in Columbus, OH. 

I've never felt this strong and fast in a training cycle, and I'm very interested to see what that day holds.

Ran 15 at 7:57 pace on Saturday, and it felt easy until the very end where I felt the effort a bit.  It was beyond the faster end of what I'd intended for the day, but that's what I get for going out running with the local elites.  Oops...

Very nice. You're on the list.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Yep - what's your goal? Your 26.2 PR is already below my goal. Boston goal is 3:14 - I know - soft, but I don't want to blow up!

The goal is about 3:05- I think. That'd be a 4 min PR. Though any PR would be nice since my 3:09 PR is pushing two years old...

Lazy idiot

Thanks, guys. 

Yeah, my coach doesn't specify pace much during runs on his plans, usually only "kind of" in the workouts (as you can see from tomorrow's Univ of Michigan workout he has me doing), though we do chat prior to big workouts to get an idea of what's appropriate.

Easy runs are whatever feels easy that day, usually anywhere from 8:30-9:15.

Workout paces vary by type and interval length (if running intervals) (I know... duh).  But we've loosely used McMillan to guide me through in areas where my PR's are lagging behind my current fitness.  So if I'm running 12 x 1 min hard with 1 min recovery and I'm aiming to run the hard segments at ~5k pace.  I plugged 1:29 HM into McMillan to get an "equivalent" 5k pace (6:12/mi) and that's what I targeted at the start.  Some days I hit or exceed the targets.  Last Tuesday for the workout I just detailed, I was a little behind on pace but the effort level was what I was looking for.

I don't race a lot, so I find that I pick rough times to aim for (both goal race times and training paces), and then adjust depending on how my body feels.  I know that if I've picked a goal that's too fast for my level, my body will tell me.  And if I've picked a goal that's too slow, I'll end up naturally running faster than I'm "supposed to" because I generally run by feel (effort).  The GPS watch is mostly for review.

So to answer your question, Nader, the next 5+ weeks boils down to this:

• Keep up the fast-finish long runs most weeks (two weeks ago, did last 5 of 14 at HM pace... I was a wreck, mentally)
                      • Keep the easy/recovery days easy
                      • Push a little more on the hard days
                      • Rip it at the 10-miler next month.  Last year I ran it comfortably hard yet slightly reserved in 1:14.  This year I've been instructed to leave nothing on the table, so I'll be looking for a sizeable PR.
                      • Get to the start line on 5/5 hungry

Tick tock

C-R

The goal is about 3:05- I think. That'd be a 4 min PR. Though any PR would be nice since my 3:09 PR is pushing two years old...

The way you've been hammering it this winter/spring, a new PR is there. Looking forward to seeing it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

Nice. Go get 'em.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Good luck this weekend, Kevin!

Good luck this weekend, Kevin!

Thanks Nader, I can't wait to get out there.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Absolute distaster !!! There were a few warning signs that my fast track to fitness wasn't quite on target but I'm a believer so went with plenty of optimism...

That disappeared pretty quickly during the race when although I was feeling ok my HR was through the roof. I was running barely below 8 min mile pace (7.46) after half way but my HR was way higher than normal. I knew that it was only a matter of time before I bombed but as I felt ok I kept going. After 9 1/2 miles I knew it was over. I struggled through another 1 mile before the legs gave in and I walked for about 1 - 2 mins. I was wrecked but kept going until 12 miles when I stopped again. Even that close to the finish I couldn't keep going and when I got going again I hit a HR of 190 pretty quickly - quite a HR considering I was only plodding along. Managed to finish in a flourish in 1:44...

Yes thats right - 1:44 plus change... I've had faster long runs - so disappointed but this HM was probably a month or so before I was ready so can't complain - will be more careful and better prepareds before the next one !!!

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused