Racing: Quality vs. Quantity (Read 146 times)

xhristopher

Discuss.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I know which is easier to achieve.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

"all your BASE are belong to us"

it certainly depends on who you're trying to impress.  a sub-15 5k won't really turn to many heads at the office cooler, but running your 10th (or even 1st) marathon will generally get a few awe-inspired looks.  bigger is better, right?

if we're talking purely training methods... arthur lydiard had this figured out a long time ago.  no quality (base), no quality.  the vast majority of any sound training plan should be made up of mostly easy runs.  good quality workouts require a substantial base to be truly effective.

my vote is for quantity.

Feeling the growl again

if we're talking purely training methods... arthur lydiard had this figured out a long time ago.  no quality (base), no quality.  the vast majority of any sound training plan should be made up of mostly easy runs.  good quality workouts require a substantial base to be truly effective.

my vote is for quantity.

The poll clearly states "RACING" not training.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

you expect us to read the entire title?!?  crap, i can barely see both words on my tiny phone screen...

but seriously, i think i answered the "poll" in my first paragraph.  does it NOT depend on who(m) you are trying to impress?  a few imaginary internet friends would likely go with the quality (sub-15 5k), but the VAST MAJORITY of people (including most runners) would choose 10 marathons or a 100-mile ultra.  yes/no?

does longevity count as quantity or quality, cause that's certainly important to most people.

btw, i count four posters in the discussions and only 2 votes... somebody's holding out.  X, AP, or spaniel.  what do you guys think?

xhristopher

I hardly understand the question myself. I'm really just looking to incite a riot here so I'm not ready to firmly take sides.

I have a new game I play at work. It's called "let's see if I can run a marathon over the weekend and not let anyone find out about it."

C-R

I have a new game I play at work. It's called "let's see if I can run a marathon over the weekend and not let anyone find out about it."

You should make your log private then.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

does it NOT depend on who(m) you are trying to impress?  a few imaginary internet friends would likely go with the quality (sub-15 5k), but the VAST MAJORITY of people (including most runners) would choose 10 marathons or a 100-mile ultra.  yes/no?

does longevity count as quantity or quality, cause that's certainly important to most people.

Why would I give a crap about impressing anyone???  Get off my lawn.  Wink

I voted accordingly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

You should make your log private then.

I hope nobody at work is sneaking peeks at my log.

doesn't the act of polling itself ask how many people (quantity) prefer one choice over the other...?

but... if quality IS more important, then those votes could be weighted to count double or even triple.  if amby burfoot votes for quality, does that negate 10 quantity votes?

C-R

Interestingly one could ask the same about beer.

Personally I prefer one good craft brew over 5 below average mass produced drinks.

Must be a middle age thing.

Turn down that music and pull up your pants!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Interestingly one could ask the same about beer.

Personally I prefer one good craft brew over 5 below average mass produced drinks.

Must be a middle age thing.

Turn down that music and pull up your pants!

+1

although, i've been told that i can't include myself in middle age just yet.

The Pocatello Kid.

Hey I play this game too. Except my wife posts on facebook when I do and she's friends with some of my coworkers. Damn you social media.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I hardly understand the question myself. I'm really just looking to incite a riot here so I'm not ready to firmly take sides.

As if this surprises anyone.

I always play this game. Where's the poll for this? Clearly we need more polls. GET ON IT X.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

npaden

You missed my option, Both.

I run in about whatever running club race they have each month.  Anywhere from 2 miles to a 1/2 marathon.  Chip timed and $5.  That fills my Quantity vote option.  It gives me a lot of experience racing and working on goal setting and pacing and gives me the opportunity to blow up and try things in races that if I was only racing once or twice a year would be hard to live with a poor performance when it was going to be 6+ months before I got to race again.

I do tend to pick 2 or 3 big goal races each year that I set up training programs for and really focus on though.  That fills my Quality vote option.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)