The most important runners' New Year Resolution (Read 155 times)

King of PhotoShop

Good morning all.

I wrote this post today for the Dallas Morning News as a simple reminder to us all that no matter how much you run, it is important not to be smug and believe that because we are runners we are healthy.  You have more important obligations to fulfill this year in order to protect yourself and your family.

From time to time I'll put my posts on some RA Forum if I think they have relevance, but I'm not trying to plug my articles.  This one is not that interesting, but it is important.  Please give it a look, and ask yourself if you are doing all these things.  Thank you.   Spareribs

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/the-best-new-years-resolution-for-runners.html/

Great article and great reminder!! Happy and healthy running to you in 2015, Ribs!

Awesome!  Thank you.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Im not sure if Komen is the best group to name drop. But, overall a nice article.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

King of PhotoShop

Im not sure if Komen is the best group to name drop. But, overall a nice article.

You make a good point.  A couple of years ago on this site, I called out Komen on some questionable activities, one of which was the percentage of every dollar collected toward breast cancer research.  As I recall, it wasn't very much. But to be fair to them, I did acknowledge that their principal value to women was in "raising awareness" of the issue and mobilizing women to take action, which is why I included them in today's post.  I think I also wrote about the Planned Parenthood fiasco too, but I'm not going to wear out my welcome by adding more links!  Thanks for reading, and your comments.  Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

I think that is incomplete as well, beside research, awareness and 'mobilizing" their greatest value is in support of women who are in need: of mammogram services, chemo, radiation, wigs, and counseling.  My good friend Liz found the Komen foundation generous and a vital part in her fight against breast cancer.  Having no medical insurance, she was helpless without the Susan G. Komen foundation.  And after they helped her to get insured, picked up the tab where the insurance gaps were.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Good post Spareribs; I shared the link with my running club at work.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

A few times each week I pass a bench while exercising. It's a memorial bench. To a kid full of potential. He was just beginning life after college. He dropped at 12 miles in a half marathon. He was a lifelong athlete. I work with his then roommates mother.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Ilene.  I'm sure that Komen has helped many women, and I'm equally sure I presented them fairly in the two posts in which I covered Komen, both very balanced.  Dr. Salerno (CEO) and Nancy Brinker, Founder and Chair, are compensated at $865,000 (in total) annually.  Yes, they have made some mistakes, but their salaries are well below other well-known charities that are on watchlists by organizations that keep an eye on such things.

The Planned Parenthood debacle blew over soon after it erupted, and was fueled by those who had political agendas regarding right to life and their opponents. I doubt it has detracted from Komen's much larger body of good work.   Spareribs