sports injury, who to see? (Read 112 times)

Hi,

Any suggestions on who to see for running injuries?    I've had nagging hip problems, and now plantar fasciitis.  My hubby has a torn calf and is training for a marathon.  We both are side-lined right now.  We are rolling, icing , stretching, etc.   I think it's time to see someone for some help.   But , who?  I've already been to the Ortho about my hips, and they said nothing wrong, and prescribed PT, which I never did, thought I could do it myself.

I've had people suggest a Sports Chiropractor, a Phisio,  (I'm not even sure what a Phisio is ) or PT.  We are not doctor people, so we are clueless.  He's been running for over 30 years with no real injuries, I've had IT band issues, but was able to solve those on  my own.

It's sad, we are both hobbling around right now, and there is no  way we can continue living  without running.  LOL

Any suggestions?

- Anya

Joann Y

Physical therapist. But I would also recommend a visit to a general doctor, if you haven't been in the last year, for a check-up, blood work etc to make sure that something else isn't being overlooked that may be contributing or causing issues.

Thanks,   I guess I'll just check the ones in my area.  It would be nice to find someone who works with runners.

- Anya

Joann Y

Thanks,   I guess I'll just check the ones in my area.  It would be nice to find someone who works with runners.

That would be ideal.

I think my weak hips are causing all kinds of problems...

You can really get a lot of information on your own, but  the questions like when do you start the strength training vs just doing the stretches? I think I started too soon on my feet.

It's awful, not being able to run.

- Anya

Joann Y

Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry has been recommended around here quite a bit. It's a very good book. Not only really good for educating yourself but also very practical with lots of tools for getting to the root of a problem and how to work on it. I'd read it and go see the PT. Good luck!

Tim_Easterday

I've gotten the best results from seeing a Sports Chiropractor. Ask fellow runners or your local running store for a recommendation.

I've gotten the best results from seeing a Sports Chiropractor. Ask fellow runners or your local running store for a recommendation.

Same here. The chiropractor I've used, essentially does PT, but he includes combined ultrasound and estim as part of his treatment. It works wonders (depending on your injury of course)

I finally got a correct diagnosis for my running injury by seeing an Orthopedic/Sports Medicine doctor. He was recommended by a Physical Therapist I'd seen before and he is also a runner, so understands.

Check with a PT and see who they recommend. My family doctor was no help at all.

Good luck and keep pushing until you get the answers you are looking for. You have to be your own advocate.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Thanks everyone.

- Anya

Bruno

When I've moved or needed to 'get a doctor' I've always selected one that was themselves a runner, and had a background in sport's medicine.

SMART Approach

Anya, only the minority of runners can get away without strength work.core work as we get older. I think it is even more important for women with their hip structure/Q angle.  Hip work, glute work, core stuff and as much of this work while on your feet. It is crucial for injury prevention and can improve your gait and performance.

As far as who to see, a sports medicine doc is great but I am also a fan of a physio or manual therapist. No one helped me years ago for an SI joint problem I had for years until I went to see a manual therapist. They corrected the problem in one visit.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Good advice, Tchuck.  I need to invest some time in figuring this out, or I'll never be normal again.

- Anya