Imodium For Long Runs (Read 1655 times)

Rundadrun27

I was reading a discussion on another forum about taking Imodium before Long Runs to prevent cramping, gas, etc. What are your thoughts or opinions on this? I would be concerned about the long term effects if this became regular part of a person's training (i.e. addiction).
      USES: This combination medication is used to treat diarrhea and symptoms of gas (e.g., cramps, bloating, pressure). HOW TO USE: Take this medication by mouth usually 2 to 3 times daily as needed after each loose bowel movement (loose stool); or as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to therapy. Do not exceed the recommended dosage for your age group. Drink plenty of water or clear liquids while taking this medication. Doing so will help prevent the loss of fluids (dehydration) caused by the diarrhea. Do not take this medication for more than 2 days at a time for quick onset (acute) diarrhea or 10 days for long-term (chronic) diarrhea. Consult your doctor for additional information. SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, stomach upset, dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, or constipation may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor promptly. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: stomach pain. To relieve dry mouth, suck on (sugarless) hard candy or ice chips, chew (sugarless) gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute. A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist. PRECAUTIONS: This medication is not recommended for use if you have the following medical conditions: high fever, blood or mucus in your stool (bowel movements). Tell your doctor your medical history, especially of: liver problems, bowel disease (e.g., ulcerative colitis), any allergies. This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy; use caution engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving or using machinery. Limit alcoholic beverages. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medication. It is not known if this medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
        I was reading a discussion on another forum about taking Imodium before Long Runs to prevent cramping, gas, etc. What are your thoughts or opinions on this? I would be concerned about the long term effects if this became regular part of a person's training (i.e. addiction).
        Her is a Clinical trial w/ placebo This doesn't look like a proper double blind fda trial, but it does mention some side effects occuring more often with Imodium than placebo
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do not do it. Learn to eat. Learn to poop prerun.

A Saucy Wench

Listen to Trent..he is a doctor

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Learn to poop prerun.
              You have to poop before you can run... Coffee is good for this. Like clockwork. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I took an immodium once. I didn't poop for days. Not worth it. Listen to Trent. People (especially Americans it seems!) always want a quick fix for things (symptoms) when they should be looking at the bigger picture (the actual cause of the problem).
                  Run where there are either portolets or nice bushes!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Learn to poop prerun.
                    And mid-run if your runs are long enough. Big grin
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You have to poop before you can run...
                      Indeed. One of life's first lessons.

Go Pre!

Indeed. One of life's first lessons.
                        ...and..I ate too soon to last Sunday's HM - even a 2nd coffee could speed things up - needless to say, the 'extra' weight I was carrying didn;t help the race much.