Twin Cities Marathon hotel question (Read 60 times)

Runshortii

I'm registered for TC in the fall, and am coming 6 hours from Wisconsin. I have heard it's best to stay in St Paul, close to the finish, than to stay in Minneapolis near the start. Can anyone recommend any hotels? I tried the two hotels on TCMs website but they are already booked for that night Sad Thanks!

northernman

Fight The Future

Don't know anything about rates or availability, but I always park in the sears parking lot, and catch the bus from the best western Kelly inn right next door. It's very convenient, an easy walk from the finish line

cmb4314

Don't know anything about rates or availability, but I always park in the sears parking lot, and catch the bus from the best western Kelly inn right next door. It's very convenient, an easy walk from the finish line

That's what I have done both times I've run as well.

I don't know about that quality of that hotel (though, I think it's just fine), but I think you can't beat its convenience - bus from the front door to the start line, and a maybe 5 minute walk back from the finish line.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

If you're only in town for a day or so for the marathon, I will concede to the opinions of those who advise St Paul hotels. If you might want to enjoy the cities a bit, I'd tend to advise Minneapolis. St Paul is certainly the prettier city, and it's a better place to raise a family and such, but it's somewhat lacking in nightlife. That isn't to say you can't have a good time in St Paul, but if you have to pick one to be a tourist in, you're better starting with Minneapolis.

In any case, if you use a site such as Orbitz, you should be able to search for hotels by landmark. The race begins at the Metrodome and ends at the state capitol. No hotel within two miles of the Metrodome is in the least bit sketchy (I make no comment on customer service, just general street locality). The same can probably be said for St Paul, but as I don't know that area quite so well, I don't think I can make that assertion, assuredly.