Race Trend Report (Read 478 times)

I created an spreadsheet that would make an awesome report inside of RA.

check it out: Race progress spreadsheet

The idea is to list all races as well as the equivalent times from a calculator (I used McMillian in this example). It makes it easy to compare a 5k performance to a half-marathon performance. I can simply go down any column and see how I am progressing.

My next addition might be to add the number of days between races and then an average improvement per day column. It helps me to see my progress and know which training blocks are working.

ETA: a yellow highlighted field means that was the actual race time / distance.

--

Nashville, TN

Feeling the growl again

Interesting concept and analysis.

Remember when you interpret that you need to be careful how you assess the success of various training blocks.  As an example, as you come out of a block of base training you may race a 5K and find you didn't improve vs your last 5K...which may have been after a peaking phase.  So from this if you are short-sighted you may conclude that base did not work.  However then you go through a peaking/speed/hill phase and your 5K improves, so you conclude that that phase worked.  But in reality both worked and they were synergistic.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Cool.  I think there is a way to pull data out of RA into google docs, here is a link to an example from the 3650 km per year group.  You could create a group for this and anyone who wants to see their stats could join.  At least you won't need to manually enter your data.  

Cool.  I think there is a way to pull data out of RA into google docs, here is a link to an example from the 3650 km per year group.  You could create a group for this and anyone who wants to see their stats could join.  At least you won't need to manually enter your data.  

I think I could do it if there was a way to only list races in workouts.

--

Nashville, TN

Nice progress going from a 1:51 Half Marathon to a potential 1:22 is impressive X 2, even the actual HM improvement from 1:51 to 1:30 is great.

Predicting a marathon from a mile or vice versa is kind of pushing it isn't it?  I kind of can see myself running a 21:30 5K, but not a 3:30 marathon anytime soon. Maybe this is quite valid for upto 2 columns in either direction, i.e run a 5 miler and the 15 K - mile prediction might hold, or run a 10K and you can fairly accurately predict a 5K - 10 mile races.

Predicting a marathon from a mile or vice versa is kind of pushing it isn't it?  I kind of can see myself running a 21:30 5K, but not a 3:30 marathon anytime soon. Maybe this is quite valid for upto 2 columns in either direction, i.e run a 5 miler and the 15 K - mile prediction might hold, or run a 10K and you can fairly accurately predict a 5K - 10 mile races.

But, this would be the only way that I might ever be able to "run" a sub-3 hour marathon.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Nice progress going from a 1:51 Half Marathon to a potential 1:22 is impressive X 2, even the actual HM improvement from 1:51 to 1:30 is great.

Thanks.

As a prediction tool, it is just McMillan and I completely agree about a mile not predicting a marathon. I created this b/c I found myself going to McMillan after every race and looking for signs of overall improvement. My 1:30 HM wasn't a good predictor of a 5:36 mile, but a few months later I was able to hit a 5:08 last night. That tells me my training is going well and that my mile-specific training went well too. 

The thing is, I raced a mile last night and will race a marathon later in the year, so this gives me a way to track my overall race performance. The only column with enough races to show improvement by itself is the half-marathon column.

--

Nashville, TN

I can either look up Mcmillan or automate that spreadsheet from the formula used by the race prediction calculator  T2 = T1 x (D2 / D1)C, Good idea about making that spreadsheet as a handy way to equate performances from races at varying distances and compare progress. Can also customize that sheet if you think you perform well at longer vs shorter races by adding modifiers to that calculated value for each distance.