Any ideas? (Read 401 times)

OK so here we go again. Did a search on shin splints but didn't find what I was looking for. My pain just started yesterday, anterior-lateral-definately in the muscle and can feel some swelling when comparing left to right (it's the left that hurts) and can also feel tenderness all along the muscle with the tenderness increasing toward the top. Been icing, took a preventitive rest day today despite my scheduled 6 miler. Sad Here's why I'm coming to you. I just bought a new pair of shoes a few weeks ago and I know they could be the culprit. I bought ASICS Gel-Nimbus 9's. First time wearing the Nimbus, not my first time in ASICS. I also still have my old shoes (Saucony Pro Grid Trigon Ride 5) that I run in becuase they are not quite wore out yet, at least I don't think so. There are about 250-260 miles on the old ones and less than 100 on the new. I also had a run recently where I had to really HTFU and get out of the rain and hail.......needless to say my old shoes were soaked through and through. I also did a long tempo run last Saturday (7 miles) in the new shoes. Do you think it could be the shoes? How about the harder runs? I'm asking because I want to prevent this in the future. This is my first time having this pain in 4 years of running.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      Coming from someone who has had PLENTY of shin splints..... I would think: Shoes: Maybe. However, at mileage like what you described on them, They should be " riding" fine by now if they were too stiff from being new. Runs: More likely. your HTFU run would have done that to ME, hands down. Followed by a tempo run at that length..... Your shins are probably sayin' WTF? The splints suck. Period. Nothing really helps but to reduce your speed, and reduce some of your mileage if only temporary. I have also found GREAT relief by using my foam roller on the tight calves to break up the micro adhesions that cause the tenderness. Hope you find relief!! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Thanks! I was leaning more to the runs myself.
        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09