What does you rest day look like? (Read 944 times)

I want to find out what people do on "rest days"? Does this mean you don't do any form of exercise at all? Or, does it mean you don't run and perhaps do some form of cross training like biking, swimming, elliptical, or an enjoyable walk? I understand that the body needs rest and repair from the stress of running, but I like to get some type of aerobic exercise everyday. It just makes me feel better...
    2010 Goals: (1) Run Hog Pen Hill Climb (a 17K up one of the north Georgia mountains) (January) (2) Run Callaway Half Marathon faster than last year (January) (3) Run 5 Points of Life Half Marathon (February)
      Each person is different. Find out what works best for you by experimenting. If cross-training makes you feel good than do it. For me, I run 4-5 days a week. I cross train about 1-2 days per week. I rest, no active exercise, for one day a week. I'm going to start running more since I can't life weights any more and I can't stand the eliptical for more than 30 minutes (I would combine 30 minuets on the eliptical with 30 minutes of lifting). I also like to swim at least one day per week for 1 hour. In the spring time, I'll add bike riding as well.
      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
        I'm more a sporty person in general than just a runner. I just started running, but do a LOT of cross-training. When I don't run, but do something else, it's not a rest day, since I don't rest. So I like to take one or even more days off to rest completely, whenever I feel like it. Smile

Another Passion

I usually just rest, rest. I should be doing some light weight training, both upper and lower body, though. I love this: "I just turned 50. I don't think I look 50, I certainly don't feel 50 and I refuse to act 50!" - in your profile Carole! You go, girl! Big grin

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Runner

I force myself to rest on rest days. This results in me being a little more irritable and restless. I only crosstrain when it is called for in my training. I used to be the kind of person that didn't like structure to their running schedule, and training. I hardly ever rested as a result. Now I take my rest days just as seriously as my long run days.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Life is Good

I want to find out what people do on "rest days"? Does this mean you don't do any form of exercise at all? Or, does it mean you don't run and perhaps do some form of cross training like biking, swimming, elliptical, or an enjoyable walk? I understand that the body needs rest and repair from the stress of running, but I like to get some type of aerobic exercise everyday. It just makes me feel better...
              I too enjoy some type 0f physical activity daily. I run or walk 7 days a week! I rarely take time off unless I'm sick, if I cant get a morning walk in on a day I consider an "off day" ( because I'm not running) I bike..not 70 miles just a nice leisurely ride with the kiddo's or something. like everyone else says listen to your body, it tells you when you need rest ( at least mine does) Tongue

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Young Gun

What does my rest day look like? Well on the calendar it looks like a white box with a number in the upper left corner and most times a SUNDAY printed way at the top. What does it look like as I participate in it?? Hmmm... Mostly Blurry, but I'll give you a more definitive answer after I swill another beer. I like to carbo load Wink

www.HumanPotentialRunning.com

Beatin' on the Rock

Mostly Blurry, but I'll give you a more definitive answer after I swill another beer. I like to carbo load Wink
                  Big grin Today was my rest day before long run tomorrow. I didn't sit down all day, but I didn't do any type of "workout". House cleaning, laundry, shopping, cooking, some gardening (SW Florida), and as I sat here this evening to check some emails, I realize - I'm BEAT! Time to carbo load for my run tomorrow... Sherpa John, ... gotta beer for me? Sleepy
                  Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                  gracerunner

rest means rest I try not to be obsessed with always having to push myself every day. I use to think if I took a day off from exercise, I would get out of shape, or have a heart attack or something. rest means rest since I've been making rest mean rest, all my times have improved across the board
                      My rest days are mostly rest-of-life activities, maybe getting pack and other stuff set for long run if it's the next day. I do have some do-not-run days (run 2 on / 1 off mostly), which might be any kind of xt - mtn biking or 4 hrs of trail work (upper body). But some days the older body just needs a break.
                      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        It varies week to week for me. I plan for one day of complete rest, which for me means no running, no soccer, no workout. If I feel that my body needs another day I try to just keep that at an easy day of low miles and slow pace. Sometimes I'll go 7 days in a row, others just 4 and then take a day off. I listen to my body the best I can. Well, then there are times when my schedule forces an off day. Roll eyes

Michelle

Scout7

My rest days are usually when I do an easy run. I try to run 6-7 days a week. If I have a day where I don't (can't) run, it's usually because I'm doing something around the house, or shopping with the wife (4 hours of walking a mall is an endurance event, especially since the people try my patience like nothing else). From experience, I've found that I need to go out and run the day after a hard workout, otherwise the rest of the week will suck. But, that's how my body reacts.
                            I take rest days to mean the days I get get other things done. I run in the evening, so by the time I get home from work, run, stretch, shower, eat, etc., there is no time for much else. On my rest days I can do laundry, go out with friends, do some reading or whatever else. It's a break from the routine as much as a break from the physical exertion. I go to the gym on a schedule unrelated to my running schedule, so often times I'll do that on a morning that happens to be rest day.

-------------------------------------
                            5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                            10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                            1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                            Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

I usually take Sundays as my rest day and I don't do any running or cross training. However, I usually end up playing basketball, street hockey, etc. with my kids and their friends all afternoon so I end up getting in a "work out" anyway!

Top 'O the World!

My "rest" days are spent catching up on the gossip on this web site! Shocked (read: sitting on my but in front of the computer looking like I'm getting my spreadsheet work done! Wink ) really, I usually go for a 3mileish mod/brisk walk + yoga stretching + catch up on housework + bookkeeping, generally a misc day...
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group