Bandera 100K (Read 895 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

62 miles in the park! An absolutely beautiful, if not a little warm, day greeted us at 7:30 am on Saturday for a combined 100K/50K/25K start on a challenging cours made up of 31 miles of mostly single track and some pretty technical trails for this year's race. The Hill Country Trail Runners teamed up with the North Texas Trail runners (my club) and the Hill Country State Natural Area (about 10 miles outside Bandera, 50 miles west of San Antonio) to put on an awesome event. I finished in about 16:50, close to 20 minutes faster than my last 100K and a little past midnight. I was pretty wasted during parts of the second loop, but after a little stomach distress, I recovered and finished strong. The setting for this race is spectacular, with lots of ups and downs that take a toll on the legs, but provide some great views of the entire region from the ridgetops. Anyway, a great race. I was happy with my performance, but still think there's room for improvement. The warm day (low 80's with lots of sunshine) and low humidity really dried me out, forcing me to drink a lot and I think, contributed to my stomach problems. They were not insurmountable, however, and I am reminded that "it doesn't always get worse". A fun time was had by all! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Lynn! I was wondering where you are. It sounded like you've been busy. Great job on toughing it out and completing yet another ultra!
        Great report, great race. I don't even like driving that far, much less trying to run that far. Knowing the time I have to put in training for marathons, I can't even imagine what it must take to do ultras. Well done.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

You'll ruin your knees!

By the way, here is a link to a photo album from the Bandera race! The pics turned out great and the scenery is awesome (Texas Hill Country). ENJOY! (just copy the link below and paste it into the address line on your web browser)... http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLanding.jsp?shareCode=A5F5E43BFCB&cb=PW Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Lynn! Those are gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing them with us. However, I feel a little cheated because I was expecting to see pictures of Letha + Julie. The off road unicycle dude was good though. eric Smile