Shoe question - Equivalent to Asics Cumulus (Read 1891 times)

colinw

At the recent half marathon I ran (my first!!) I won a gift certificate to a local store. They are a local shoe store and carry mostly boots and shoes, with a few running shoes in the mix. Mostly the runners are New Balance and Nike. I currently run in Asics Gel Cumulus 9, and I am happy with them, but I thought I would use the gift certificate to try a different brand to see what they were like. What would you recommend in the New Balance or Nike line to compare to the Asics shoes I am familiar with. I am a neutral runner using cushioning shoes. I am tall (6'5") and heavier than a normal runner (about 225), so cushioning is important. What do people recommend for cushioned neutral shoes from NB or Nike? Thanks for any help!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

Cryptic

I like these http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/shoefinder_detail/1,7161,s6-240-400-0-0-0-0-0-1362,00.html
        I like these
        I also have the 1062s. I like them a lot. Not inexpensive, but if you have a gift certificate...
        anneb

I believe that the Nike Air Pegasus are also similar to the Cumulus. I am currently running in both (although don't have too many miles on the Pegasus yet) and I find the cushioning similar, although the Cumulus is more flexible.

Anne

Forget the Pegasus. Much too stiff! I have both the Asic's Cumulus and Nimbus. Nimbus are the better shoe. The Nike Vomero would be comparably, but expensivive. Since I find the Brooks Burn to be my best shoe (discontinued), I would suggest trying Brooks Glycerin or Defyance.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

missy1102

i run in both cumulus and zoom vomeros. in general, my opinion is that nike's running shoes stink but i randomly tried on a vomero and loved it so now i switch between the two. i am biased against the pegasus b/c i got shin splints wearing them but thats another story.
              JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

I've been running in the New Balance 1061's. Finally wore them out so tonight I went and tried on the new 1062 NB and the Nike Zoom Vomero +3. Never thought I'd run in a Nike shoe, but I loved the cushioning and bought the pair. I have Orthotics so the additional cushioning is a plus. I also tried on the Asics Gel Nimbus X and although that's the shoe I went in to buy it didn't fit as well with orthotics as the Nike. I'd definately suggest you try on the Nike Vomero 3 though. YMMV.
                colinw

Thanks for all of the replies everyone - lots of good information there. I'll go and try a few pairs to see how they feel.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

gooddogs74

I have Air Zoom Vomeros--I am on my second pair after many pairs of Mizuno Wave Riders. There are really comfortable. I also use a pair of Adidas Adistar Cushion--they tend to give me blisters over about 6 miles or so though. I like the Vomero the best of these. They are a little pricey, though...