Running with laryngitis (Read 922 times)

finney

Resident pinniped

OK, I'm serious here. I don't plan on screaming during a run or anything, but I have a case of laryngitis right now. And, it's a bad one. The whole "it feels like there's an egg in my throat that I can't talk past" thing going on. I have NO other cold symptoms, just no voice. However, I'd like it back ASAP...I'm pretty good with it. Should I ditch my run today? I'm thinking getting winded and drying my throat out might not be the best thing for it, but I don't know. Just looking for some opinions/experiences.
      Ok, I'm serious here too. If you have an easy run on tap, run with your mouth closed. If you have to open your mouth to get enough air, you're running too hard. For the record, I read a book about the benefits of diaphragmatical breathing over clavical breathing and spent 8 months training to run with my mouth closed. In October of '00, I ran a 4:09 at the St. Louis Marathon without opening my mouth except to talk or drink. I still can't run FAST though, just using closed mouth breathing.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.