Lower leg pain // Shin splints :( (Read 899 times)

I haven't found a good description or diagnosis for my lower leg pain. It seems to be worst on Wednesday a few days after my long weekend runs. On a good day, I won't even feel pain in my legs. On a bad day, I get terrible aching all around my ankles up to about 1/2 way on my calves after running. The pain peaks when I finish my run (or on really bad days can't go any further). It's not completely isolated to front or back of my legs, it seems to be all around my lower legs. A lot of the time it feels like general aches. Jumping exercises seem to aggravate it too. I don't feel any pain while walking or after maybe 1-2hrs after finishing my run. My shoes are still decently new only ~130miles. I lace them up differently which seemed to help for a while. I took 3 days off and am doing this again in hopes I can work through whatever is going on. I did some jogging, lots of calf stretching and hit the elipitical followed by more calf stretching.
      A slight pain and I would ice and rest. But a terrible aching and I would be making a doctor's appointment.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

It's generally not terrible pain, but it's noticeable enough that I try to stop and do quad/shin stretches to try to alleviate it. Normally, this can correct the pain. Sometimes it manifests as this aching after I run a moderate distance ~5miles. I won't hurt at all while Im running or 30mins afterwards, but for that 10mins right after I finish it will be aching. It seems like when I sorta show off and run very quietly, it will start to ache sooner 1mile or so. (I believe) I land closer to my forefoot and just try not to hit flat footed to stop some of the flapping noise of your foot hitting the ground. I thought this sort of running was better for these types of injuries and a more correct form of running. I'm really just not clear on how posture effects all these things, even after reading probably 10 different opinions on the subject. I plan to push my miles up again ~20miles next week. I've been doing so much calf stretching this week, but it really seems my body aches to be running again and my calves agree. They feel much looser the day after running, nothing like what I can get from doing straight calf exercises + stretches. I felt my hands shaking when I was setting out for a 5mile run this week, hopefully my body can adjust to fit my mind here :-\
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I first started running I was plagued by nearly constant shin splints and calf tightness. I will sometimes deal with these now, but it's often a result of too much, too soon (like trying to pick up my mileage where I left off after a long, hard race) or shoes that are too stable. How long have you been running and what sort of mileage increases have you been doing? If you are increasing by more than 10% from week to week it could be your body's way to tell you to ease up some. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I started running again about 6months ago, 10weeks or so logged/back logged here. I did increase from 26miles-36miles and 1.5weeks later Im here hurt. It's been a constant pain, but that did finally seem to push me over the edge. At the time, these shin splints have been so detrimental to my speedwork days I just wanted to do anything instead of holding back yet again due to shin splint pain. Just now I did some heel walking and I could really feel my shins straining to do it. What should I do? It's been 2 weeks of little running and I don't seem to have improved. More heel walking? More calf stretching? I've been doing these things since the problem has cropped up, even bought 2 new pairs of shoes and "special" shoe tying. Nothing has seemed to help me. I could stand to lose some weight, but I've never read this has been a major factor in shin splints.
              How long have you been running and what sort of mileage increases have you been doing? If you are increasing by more than 10% from week to week it could be your body's way to tell you to ease up some. k
              Unless you were putting in some miles before you found RunningAhead, I'd say this is probably the case. You started logging about halfway through September, and you were on pace for about 75 miles. October bumped up to 110, which is a pretty significant increase. If you weren't running before mid September, I would back off muy pronto. I'm sure I'm the exception on this site, but until five days before my first marathon attempt I hadn't run on consecutive days in probably three years. Rest is important, as is allowing your muscles and tendons and lligaments and stuff (see Trent for more detail on the stuff) to adjust to running. If you want more miles, I would gradually increase the distance on two weekday runs and your long run on a weekend. I would try to take days off, and walk or do other non-impact cross training like biking on those days. It's ok to start slow, you want to be in this for the long run (pun intended). Smile

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

i'd strongly suggest seeing a doctor to get a proper diagnosis and recovery plan. pushing your mileage up while you are in pain is unlikely to help. get it fixed and then you can start increasing your mileage.
                  Thanks for the tips guys, I guess I will up the quality of my runs over quantity for the time being. As painful as that will be Evil grin