Tummy trouble after long run? (Read 912 times)

I've never had an iron stomach. I used to puke before big exams ... lovely, I know. Anyhow, I've finally figured out what to eat and when before and during a long run, but afterward ... is ugly. I have a protein and carb meal within 30 minutes of when I get home, and I always feel sick during and afterward. Does anyone else have this problem?
    2009: BQ?
      I don't feel sick, I just don't feel like eating for a while. My routine has turned into liquid carbs (ala Gatorade) when I first get home. Then a couple hours later - I'm ready for a protein/carb fest.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I stick with a nice big apple and protein drink. Anything else upsets my stomach. Banana's are a big no no for me afterwards.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

After long runs I try drink chocolate mile ASAP - like, take it with me in the car on ice. Then I' usually not hungry until 2-3 hours after. In fact, thoughts of a meal turn my stomach sooner than that.
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          PWL

Has been

I must not be pushing hard enough on my long runs cuz I'm hungry as hell when I get back. I tend to have a granola/energy bar almost immediately. Then I will tend to have some type of protein/carb heavy meal within an hour or so.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I must not be pushing hard enough on my long runs
              Just the opposite! Long runs are generally meant to be EASY. When you finish the long run, even the 20 miler pre-marathon, you should still feel as if you have gas in the tank and could go run some more. If you do not, you are likely running them too hard. If you do not, what makes you think you will be able to add 3-6 miles at a harder effort come race day? If you are finishing and getting an upset stomach, you may well be running too hard. You also need to experiment with different foods to see what works the best. I am like Rockin'Mama; I like a nice smoothie, usually with a yogurt base, and some moist fruits. I also like a Coke on a warm day.
                If you are finishing and getting an upset stomach, you may well be running too hard. .
                This is really quite possible for me. My long run pace averages a 9 minute mile, which I think is too fast for me.

madness baby

I have that problem a lot,sometimes even after short runs. I don't think I'm running them too hard, though, but it might be what I'm choosing to eat afterwards. I get very hungry about 30 minutes after a run, so I usually have a small meal then. I'll have to try some different things. Typically, I do have a strong stomach, though. Gotta figure it out.
                  deb
                  muse_runner

keep running.

This is really quite possible for me. My long run pace averages a 9 minute mile, which I think is too fast for me.
                    Yes babe, too fast. We run veeeerrrry similar races and I'd say slow down to a 9:45-9:36 pace for your long long runs. It's not going to affect your races. I promise! I am living proof!
                    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I disagree. It may well affect her race pace. It will likely help make her faster!!
                      muse_runner

keep running.

Trent hahahah niiiiice. Yes you are right! It will make her faster. My coach/buddy is having me do my general runs faster now. I am so acclimated to my nice N easy running pace that I am so curious as to how it's going to feel to push more... I never thought I'd force myself to run slower but now that I have I am so hooked!
                        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Burninated Peasant

I always have stomach/digestive issues (sometimes for a couple days) after long races, though not long runs. This would seem to fall in line with Trent's suggestion that you back off the pace on your long runs.

gimme some sugar, baby

I've never had an iron stomach. I used to puke before big exams ... lovely, I know. Anyhow, I've finally figured out what to eat and when before and during a long run, but afterward ... is ugly. I have a protein and carb meal within 30 minutes of when I get home, and I always feel sick during and afterward. Does anyone else have this problem?
                            "Workout stomach" is what I call it. After a hard race, long run, workout, or whatever, I sometimes get it. I asked my nutrition professor about it a few years ago and he said: 1. Avoid fruits after the race. Fructose draws water from your intestines and causes issues. 2. Drink more water. Dehydration is one of the main causes. I don't usually feel so sick, though... for me it's more of a horrible indigestion type pain.
                            George: Runner/Law Student
                            www.gimme-five.com
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Drink more water. Dehydration is one of the main causes Be very very careful with this. If you overdrink, you may risk hyponatremia. Hyponatremia can kill you. One of the first signs of hyponatremia is stomach upset with vomiting. Drink to thirst.
                                Drink more water. Dehydration is one of the main causes Be very very careful with this. If you overdrink, you may risk hyponatremia. Hyponatremia can kill you. One of the first signs of hyponatremia is stomach upset with vomiting. Drink to thirst.
                                Heard it. I ususally make myself some gatorade when I get home from a long run.