Eight is enough? How 'bout 17...? *eyeroll* (Read 746 times)

shyrunner07

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I feel sorry for the older kids...you know they are getting saddled with caring for the younger ones. If these people had that many cats they'd be considered "collectors." I see nothing wrong with large families...but at some point a family goes from merely large (like Kellie's blended family) to just insane. How do they go anywhere? Do they own a bus? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

i caught one of their specials on TLC the other night...i believe mrs duggar called it "the buddy system". Roll eyes For as much child-rearing as the older kids are doing, they may as well have gotten knocked up themselves. Not sure what they drove...looked like an (overcrowded) full size van- sans child safety seats. In the special, they were building a behemoth 7k square foot house, but with only 3 bedrooms for the kids. One of the little boys talked about how all he wanted in the new house was a place to hide. That's sad. And Jim Bob's plans for the kids involve them living on the property, even after they've grown and are ready to fly the nest. such a hugely bizarre family. And they're discussing more. Let the woman's epidural wear off first, sheesh!!!!!
          i caught one of their specials on TLC the other night...i believe mrs duggar called it "the buddy system". Roll eyes For as much child-rearing as the older kids are doing, they may as well have gotten knocked up themselves. Not sure what they drove...looked like an (overcrowded) full size van- sans child safety seats. In the special, they were building a behemoth 7k square foot house, but with only 3 bedrooms for the kids. One of the little boys talked about how all he wanted in the new house was a place to hide. That's sad. And Jim Bob's plans for the kids involve them living on the property, even after they've grown and are ready to fly the nest.
          ugh, i saw that too. they have such a strange family. its like the kids were all super happy and the mom was a NUT CASE, she was so happy. i would blame it on drugs but they just seemed so...good. like freaking, prolific angels. Roll eyes AND they got all kinds of free stuff! not just like "oh you have a big family here's some extra clothes and food" but like....the oldest kid got a whole free recording studio, basically. is that what someone has to do for free stuff these days? have 17 kids?!
          "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

is that what someone has to do for free stuff these days? have 17 kids?!
            Maybe they should give US free stuff for only having one kid...not contributing more to overpopulation, need for large vehicles/house/waste. It's almost like they are rewarding these people for what could be viewed as irresponsible reproduction. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

freckles

At least they have semi sensible names. There is a UK family who have like 14 kids and the youngest 2 daughters are called Porsche and Mercedes!!!

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

Swadvad

My sister-in-law and her husband have 7 children, and they all seem very happy. She's now 42 and the youngest is 2. They haven't ruled out having more, but the natural aging process may put a stop to that. It's all a matter of perspective. Some folks can handle a large family just fine, and consider it a blessing. I think I would be a bit stressed! (I've only got 2 kids) You probably wouldn't have to look very far to find a kid who wished he/she had some more brothers and/or sisters. It works both ways, I guess. Doesn't 2 kids qualify me for a free i-pod or something?
                shyrunner07

i don't think these guys can handle 17 though, esp once they start passing off child care onto the other kids. I wonder how much time they (the kids) have for playing and just being children....seems like much of their days are spent in servitude to two people who can't keep their Fundamentalist hands off each other.
                    these people just make my head spin... http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2007/08/the-duggars-wel.html
                    Coming from a large family of 9 kids (ok so not as large as theirs) I see them as selfish! I'm sorry but there is just no way you can spend a good amount of time let alone equally with 17 kids. I feel so bad for the children!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

i don't think these guys can handle 17 though, esp once they start passing off child care onto the other kids. I wonder how much time they (the kids) have for playing and just being children....seems like much of their days are spent in servitude to two people who can't keep their Fundamentalist hands off each other.
                      DITTO!!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I went to grade school with a kid who was one of...12 or 13, I believe. He was the fourth kid, and they did the buddy system thing, with each older kid being responsible for a younger kid. He hated it. I guess the Duggars are doing a bit better with it - in my friend's family, as soon as they graduated high school, they were out of the house, because the family could no longer support them. The oldest daughter struggled a lot - she worked three jobs and went to college at the same time. Thankfully, each kid helped out the younger kids when they got tossed out, so by the time the fifth kid was college age, he could live with a sibling and only work part-time. My friend ended up joining the military, just because he had nowhere else to go. It turned out to be the best thing for him and he flies helicopters and absolutely loves it. But to have to do that because his family threw him out because they couldn't pay their bills? It seemed like a bit much. The older kids have turned out ok though. But I think they hate their parents.
                          I'm sorry but there is just no way you can spend a good amount of time let alone equally with 17 kids. I feel so bad for the children!!!
                          I agree. I just have four children and I worry that I don't get to spend enough one on one time with them. I have always done my best not to put the older ones in charge of the younger ones, that's not their job.

Michelle

Eryn

lol, how long do you think her labor lasted? 30 seconds tops?? Anyone see the Monty Python (right before "Every Sperm is Sacred" breaks out) when the woman at the sink just drops a baby out while she's doing dishes? That's all I can think of right now. Evil grin

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Mishka-old log

lol, how long do you think her labor lasted? 30 seconds tops??
                              Here's another article, with your answer: "It actually went fast," she said. "I guess once I started progressing, it went within 30 minutes."

Swadvad

....seems like much of their days are spent in servitude to two people who can't keep their Fundamentalist hands off each other.
                                WOW. A bit judgmental, huh? You could have gotten your point across just fine without using the "fundamentalist" label. If you knew me you would probably say that I have "fundamentalist hands" too (and I can't keep them off my wife either), but we've only got two kids and are very fortunate to have them. (Fertility problems). Unless you can sit down and talk with the Dugger kids, I would be hesitant to conclude that they are so unhappy. Maybe so - maybe not. It's just dangerous to throw stones. Hope you don't live in a glass house. Wink