HMI 50k (Read 450 times)

Eryn

This was my first ultramarathon. Big grin I've wanted to do an ultra for I-don't-even-know-how-long. In May 2006 I tried a 50M but didn't make the cutoff to continue on after the first 25M (because my training was mediocre at best), so I decided to give a 50k a try before I go big again. My training hasn't been bomb proof this spring, but considering how I normally train, I was pretty consistent and put in a lot of miles. Many thanks to the 1500 mile club for keeping me consistent and motivated on a daily basis! And double thanks to JJ for keeping me motivates to lose weight-- this race would NOT have been as much fun if I had been carrying the 17lbs I've lost so far this year. Went up and camped just outside for Leadville (elevation 10,000) Friday and Saturday nights, played in some creeks and hung out with my man and the dog on Saturday. Sunday morning, headed out to the race start. The High Mountain Institute 50k course is a 25k loop run twice, first time CCW around Turquoise Lake and up Sugraloaf Mountain (lots of the same course as the Leadville 100), second loop CW up f***ing Sugarloaf again and back around the lake. My first lap was around 3:46, I was thrilled to be under the 4:00 cutoff and got to continue on the second loop after refilling my camelbak and drinking about 5 tiny dixie cups of coke (note to self: don't overdo it on the fizzy coke next time). Turned around and headed back up Sugarloaf. Normally I am a total uphill kinda girl, but not knowing the course well, the over one hour ascent started to get to me. I finished off my camelbak with 40 min to go till the next aid station and had a rough go of it till then. May Queen aid station came around and I drank too much coke again. Tongue At this point, I was about 6 hrs in and starting to lose any semblance of a relaxed, upright form. I looked more like one of those 80 yr olds you see down at the track all hunched over and shuffling. Last two hours went fairly quickly, I found a couple other folks to run with and pretty much kept up a shuffle-jog through to the finish at 8:19:30. All in all, I'm psyched, I hurt, I'm tired, and I have chafing in places I've never chafed before. I guess that means I finished my first ultra. Smile Many more to come. Now I'm going to sign up for that 50 miler I've had my eye on for a while. After I pop another couple Tylenol....

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that sounds awesome! You're feeling that *good* kinda hurt! I know you'll do that 50 miler, too. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WTG!!!! Awesome accomplishment!!! Can't wait to hear a 50 miler race report from you!!! *is secretly jealous*

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson