Ads and links (Read 1000 times)

Hi Eric, I use Safari on an iPad2 or Google Chrome to read RA and I wonder if you could make the links in posts and signatures plus the ads open in a new tab/browser? I know I could disable the ads by joining and I will as soon as I get up enough courage to use PayPal. My internet service provider blocks the back button if there is a broken link and I get stuck in nowheresville. :-). Thanks, Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Your ISP blocks the back button? How does that work?

Basically takes me to its own search page then I can't get back unless I open a new browser window and start from scratch. Hasn't that happened to you?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

eric :)

rururunner,

Google forbids me from displaying the ads in another window.  According to Google, how an ad opens is culture specific.  In China, it opens a new tab/window, but in US, it's the same window.

The links in posts open in new tabs.  The iPad/iPhone devices aren't completely HTML compliant so they may not always do the right thing.  I suspect the back button issue is also related to the watered down browser.

rururunner,

Google forbids me from displaying the ads in another window.  According to Google, how an ad opens is culture specific.  In China, it opens a new tab/window, but in US, it's the same window.

The links in posts open in new tabs.  The iPad/iPhone devices aren't completely HTML compliant so they may not always do the right thing.  I suspect the back button issue is also related to the watered down browser.

In the past (haven't tried it in about a year or so), Chrome has had some difficulties with the back button on some websites.

I'm sure of you ask the Chrome people, it's the website's fault.

Jeff

Thanks.  The link I clicked on was broken so my ISP (aka big cable company) redirects me to their lame search site and blocks the back button so that the ads get more "views".  

Hi Eric,

This is interesting.  Are you able to point me in the direction of more info on this and their reasoning behind it?  (I'm a social psychologist with an interest in cultural influences on thinking.)

Thanks!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

eric :)