Marathon training in 10 months (Read 136 times)

gezafisch

Hello!

I am 300 LBS. and would like to be fit for a 5 hrs 26.2 marathon in 10 months. I'm going to do it so any discouragement will be a waste of your time and mine. What I would like are some tips for weight loss and how to get fit enough in this period of time. I'm on a diet of pretty much salad and meat. I have run a little in the past, but nothing over 4 miles at a time. If anyone has a schedule for this training and would care to share, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gezafisch

Feeling the growl again

I'm going to do it so any discouragement will be a waste of your time and mine. 

I'm sorry, but I'm not in the habit of giving bad advice.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

gezafisch

you think it's impossible?

DaBurger

You are trying to rush your training to the point where even if you succeed in your goal, you'll probably break yourself.

Know thyself.

gezafisch

What is meant by "Breaking yourself"? And how much time do you think I need? Would next spring be enough?

Feeling the growl again

What is meant by "Breaking yourself"? And how much time do you think I need? Would next spring be enough?

Getting injured.  Look, so you don't take it hostily, you came and asked how to do something that anyone who knows about this sport knows is not wise, but say that if we tell you differently we are wasting everyone's time.  So you are only looking for what knowledgable people know is bad advice.

The short answer is that what you are asking to do is not reasonable, and the most likely outcome is that you will get injured (break yourself).  Most knowledgable people don't want to give people advice knowing that it will lead to a bad outcome.

If you are open to extending your timeline to run a marathon, and consider reasonable advice, myself and I'm sure others would be happy to give you advice.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

gezafisch

I'm sorry. I wasn't really thinking. So what do you think is a good timeline?

Arimathea

Tessa

You may be able to complete a marathon after training for 10 months. You may also be able to lose a certain amount of body fat in that same 10 months, though most people training for marathons find that weight loss is difficult because the increased activity causes them to feel hungrier and often to eat more.

Setting a time goal, however, is a) premature and b) ill advised. I don't know your age, gender, current activity level, or experience, all of which will factor into the pace you might be able to sustain for 26.2 miles. A 5 hour marathon equates to an 11:30 pace. All things being equal, the rule of thumb is that each pound of extra fat you are carrying slows you down by 2 seconds per mile. If your healthy body weight is 180 pounds, then being 300 pounds means that you are being slowed down by 240 seconds per mile. That's four minutes each mile. That's a lot.

I would suggest you consult your doctor to get his/her clearance to start training, a registered dietician to discuss an eating plan that will allow you to reduce body fat while taking in all necessary nutrients (meat and salad alone is NOT a healthy diet), your local running store to be fitted for running shoes that suit your gait and can support the pounding you're going to be giving them, and an experienced running coach to work out a training plan that will allow you to increase your fitness level and get your joints and muscles prepared for the race. Then train sensibly and have your first goal be "finish upright" rather than "must make it across finish line in 5 hours".

Good luck.

Feeling the growl again

I'm sorry. I wasn't really thinking. So what do you think is a good timeline?

Good.  Now I am happy to comment.  Smile

First of all, forget the timeline.  Everyone is an individual.  You can't put an arbitrary timeline on yourself so early into your running career.  That's only asking for disaster.

#1.  Get on a plan to lose the weight.  That will involve diet, running, and likely other activities so you can get more work in without stressing your joints too much while you get to a more satisfactory weight.  Talk to a doctor or nutritionist on this.

#2.  Specifically regarding the running.  For right now, FORGET THE MARATHON.  This does not mean that the marathon is not your end goal.  But for right now, that is reaching too far.  Focus on what you can control, NOW.  Start with 5K/10Ks and focus on improving that.  There are many of plans out there for this, Couch to 5K, Daniels, Pfitzinger, etc.  You can look these up, I don't need to provide specifics.  The basic thing is that you need to just pick a plan and do it, get the weight off and follow one of these reasonable plans and you'll improve.

If your end goal is a 5hr marathon, the first thing you need to focus on is running a 2:30 half marathon.  Until you have accomplished that, you are over-reaching to think 5 hour marathon in any near term scenario.  Once you have run a 2:30 half, one or two additional training cycles (6 to 12 months) is a reasonable goal to run a 5 hour marathon.

bhearn

I would focus on the next step, whatever that may be, while keeping the end goal (5 hour marathon) in mind, but not on a fixed timeline.

Have you raced a 5K? Start there. Look at your finish time. Try to go out and beat it at the next race. Did a 5K? Do a 10K. As you're losing weight and training up, maybe you can even run that 10K at what used to be your 5K pace. Done a 10K? Do a half marathon. At each step, pay attention to your times and paces, and your progression. By the time you have run a half, you will be in a much better position to think about when and how to move on to the marathon. If you get there healthy, then it's time to reward yourself by picking and starting an actual marathon training plan.

Doing it any other way than essentially as outlined above is really pushing things ahead of their natural order, and asking for trouble. Plus, this way, you get lots of rewards along the way.

FWIW this is also essentially what I did when I started running in 2004. I started training in January for a 10K, and ended up running my first marathon in October. So, 10 months. But I was already in pretty good shape when I started. And I STILL paced myself as above.

bhearn

Jinx

keeponrunning

Can't add anything to what the more experienced runners have already said.  However, for another reference point-- I started running in 2008.  I've done dozens of 5ks and 10ks, and 6 half marathons.  I'm now planning a marathon in May, and frankly am still quite freaked out with the idea of running that far.  Could you possibly do a marathon in 10 months?  Sure.  Will it be enjoyable and risk-free?  Not likely.  You're going to set yourself up for frustration and burn out rather than long-term fitness and health.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

One problem with time goals is your body.  It took me 4.5 years of steady training before I was able to run a marathon.  A friend, same age, needed only two months.

I used to know a guy that was really fat.  His fat would sag over both sides of a chair, then he would go out and run a 4:45 marathon the next day.  I think he was some sort of genetic freak.

Your body can only do what it can do.  Running is very counterintuitive.  If you push yourself too hard, you WILL injure yourself.

pedaling fool

It's very possible. However, that doesn't make it a good idea.

There's a perception out there that running is bad for the joints and the people that point this "fact" out are constantly using other marathon runners as an example. However, what they are missing out on is that many running people who suffer from joint pains is because those people did too much too soon.

Cardio health is very simple to develop, even for a marathon; what is not as simple and takes time is your frame. I'm convinced that running is GOOD for the joints and there are studies to back this up; however, if you take on too much, especially as a beginner then you will suffer injuries, much of which may be serious and possibly lifelong injuries. I believe pain is weakness leaving the body, but you gotta be careful with that mindset, because there are different types of pain. You can run thru joint pain, but you are only making it worse, unlike muscle pains. Joints, skeletal frame and connective tissue are take far more time to develop and if you push thru this, you are setting yourself up as one of those people whose doctor says: "No more running for you". It's just not worth it; we are not professional athletes that are paid to beat ourselves up.

The whole point of running is to be healthy, not to do a marathon. Marathons don't make you healthy, maintaining a running lifestyle does -- a sensible running lifestyle. Just look at Oprah, she set a goal to do a marathon and she made it, but she failed at the real marathon -- staying healthy for life. I'm not saying don't set a marathon as your goal, what I'm saying is that you should set up goals that are more attainable and step your way up.

Interesting video from PBS on a marathon challenge in about the same amount of time, but I would really like to see a followup on these people. It's possible, but focusing so much on a marathon completion, misses the point of running -- life long health.

Check out the video         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH8nQiILe1Q

pedaling fool

One problem with time goals is your body.  It took me 4.5 years of steady training before I was able to run a marathon.  A friend, same age, needed only two months.

I used to know a guy that was really fat.  His fat would sag over both sides of a chair, then he would go out and run a 4:45 marathon the next day.  I think he was some sort of genetic freak.

Your body can only do what it can do.  Running is very counterintuitive.  If you push yourself too hard, you WILL injure yourself.

In addition to what I said above; I very much agree with the above quote. Learn your limits or else suffer the consequences. It's possible you are a type of person like described above, but you must determine that, not your ego. I know I'm not one of them natural born athletes. I gotta fight for every little increase in my pace/distance. But that's ok, I've accepted it and that's the real marathon.