2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

I'm running NYCM this year, got in via 9+1,  this will be my 2nd one, ran last year..

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Welcome, irishguy! Looking to do anything differently this year? Any goals?

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Count me in!

This will be my third marathon after Philly in 2012 (4:13) and New Jersey in 2014 (3:58). As NY is a more difficult course than NJ, I'll be happy with anything under 3:58, and depending on how the training goes, I may revise to 3:55 or 3:50

Living in Westfield, NJ, and using Pfitz 18/55. I'll add an extra week to the 18 so that I can have a recovery week leading up to a half marathon: I'd like to take advantage of the marathon training to get a PR for the half.

Good luck to all!

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Welcome, Two-Foot-Shuffle! I've run Philly twice before but never New Jersey. I'm going with the same strategy as you with my goal being to just PR because NY sounds like a harder course.

From looking at your past races, you should definitely be able to get a new half PR if all goes well. A 3:58 marathon equates to a 1:53 half on McMillan. I think it usually works as a better predictor for most people when going down in distance instead of up. Good luck!

Julia1971

So, what transportation and baggage options did everyone chose?  (You have until July 31st).

I just logged in today and was surprised to see the earliest ferry option is 8:30am.   A lot of people seem to be selecting the earliest option possible...  I chose "No baggage" this year.  Walking to baggage last year seemed like the longest walk of my life.  (The baggage is in reverse bib number order, so the lower your bib number, the further you walk.  Makes sense but it was brutal).

Otherwise, Week 1 of training is in the books for me.  Unfortunately, I had a cold all week so I missed one recovery run and could only do 9 during my long run yesterday.  Oh well.  It's very early and not a big deal in the long run.  I just hope I can kick this cold this week.

Happy training everyone!

Dad, Runner, Programmer

So, what transportation and baggage options did everyone chose?  (You have until July 31st).

I just logged in today and was surprised to see the earliest ferry option is 8:30am.   A lot of people seem to be selecting the earliest option possible...  I chose "No baggage" this year.  Walking to baggage last year seemed like the longest walk of my life.  (The baggage is in reverse bib number order, so the lower your bib number, the further you walk.  Makes sense but it was brutal).

Otherwise, Week 1 of training is in the books for me.  Unfortunately, I had a cold all week so I missed one recovery run and could only do 9 during my long run yesterday.  Oh well.  It's very early and not a big deal in the long run.  I just hope I can kick this cold this week.

Happy training everyone!

Hmmm, I just checked and I see 4 ferry options. 5:30, 5:45, 6:00 and 6:15. Are these options based on my estimated finish time of 3:30? Its strange that they would be so different than what you see.

Thanks for the info on the "No baggage" option. I was on the fence about it, but based on your description, I think this makes the most sense for me too. I am going to try to escape as soon as possible after the race.

My first week of training just started today, and this first week is more of an easy week before things really get started next week. I'm following Hanson's plan and I am quite nervous for my first serious speed workout next week - 12 x 400! I haven't done that many repeat 400s since my track days in high school 20 years ago, and I hated them then.

cjervin

I also checked the ferry options and 5:30, 5:45, 6:00, 6:15, 7:00 and 7:15 came up as available. My submitted estimated finish time is 4:00, so it must be based on submitted finish time (which I assume is how they determine your start time/wave).

I'm currently signed up for the 6:45 ferry with the baggage option selected.  I may decide to change to "no baggage".

Julia1971

Hmmm, I just checked and I see 4 ferry options. 5:30, 5:45, 6:00 and 6:15. Are these options based on my estimated finish time of 3:30? Its strange that they would be so different than what you see.

This is funny.  I couldn't understand why you were seeing earlier times.  (I gave my estimated finish time as 3:15).  I logged back into the site and realized the times are latest on top.    I was able to change to 7am.  That's when I caught the ferry last year and it was pretty much perfect.

That's a lot of 400s!  I hope you don't get dizzy turning all those corners.

Julia1971

I also checked the ferry options and 5:30, 5:45, 6:00, 6:15, 7:00 and 7:15 came up as available. My submitted estimated finish time is 4:00, so it must be based on submitted finish time (which I assume is how they determine your start time/wave).

I'm currently signed up for the 6:45 ferry with the baggage option selected.  I may decide to change to "no baggage".

I'm still not seeing those super early times.  That's okay.  I'm not leaving my hotel that early anyway.

I went with baggage last year because I thought I'd want clothes after the race.  As it turns out, it was pretty warm last year so I didn't really need them.  But, I do worry about not doing baggage check and it being a cold/rainy day.

Just saw this thread.... I am doing the NYC marathon this year, it will be a "One and done", I got in under the "3 declines and you are in on the 4th" clause.  This is the last year for that option and I can't qualify on time, so 2014 will be my only time running NYC.

On training, I have no set plan personally.  I am coming off an injury so the plan is to build to 40-50 MPW in the months before the race to get my mileage in + prepare.

---I do have questions though... I have always lived in places where you can drive on roads for free, park right at the place you want to go, etc.  The most concerning thing for me is not running the marathon itself, it is how to get from the hotel to the race start, and then back to the hotel.

I'll be staying at the Waldorf Astoria at 50th and Park ave in Manhattan..... (Its a bucket list thing from "Coming to America" movie, a one and done thing for such this expensive hotel, but Hhonors points will cover 1 of the 2 400.00 nights...).    What would be the easiest way to get from there to Staten Island for the race???  (Without using a subway I might add, not at all familiar with using subways.)  I'd prefer to go via Taxi to the ferry location, then same way back, but not certain the best way to do so.   Anyone from NYC have info on how easy/hard it is go get from hotel to race and back, etc??   Oh, and how much is the hotel likely to charge for parking a night up in NYC?

Just a few questions on Logistics, once I get that part sorted, I can focus fully on training :-D

---Addendum:   Logged in to NYRR and my "Predicted Finish time" I put in super-conservative at 4:45, so what would I be in? I assume wave 4 of 4?  lol.  The site lists wave 3 of 4 leaving at 10:30 and wave 4 of 4 at 10:55, but I don't know which wave I am in.  Did not see that on the site...

And on transportation, I have selected the 8am option for the Staten Island ferry.  (It gives me ranges of 7am to 8:30 am).  Looks like I am mostly set to go?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

jfa

Don't sweat it KL Duke.There will be at least 30,000 other runners going to the start from where you will be staying. As you get closer to the race, there will be announcements from NYRRC on all transportation details.

I live and work around there but have only run NY once, last year.

It's not a great course to PR on,although that's certainly possible.

Take it slow and enjoy it. The crowd support is incredible.

Nasreddin Hoja

the Staten Island ferry.  (It gives me ranges of 7am to 8:30 am). 

The boat ride gets you stoked.

Julia1971

The boat ride gets you stoked.

Yep.

It's really not that hard to find and figure out the subway.  Just follow everyone else.  Smile  I actually ended up meeting a woman from St. Louis coming out of my hotel and we worked together to figure it out.  And, then ended up hanging together until I had to head to my corral.  (Edited because once you're in the Athlete's Village, you can still do whatever but an hour or so before race start, you really need to know where YOU need to be).

I've looked at Street views on Google for familiarity with the "big city", I've got everything planned out for transportation from hotel to race, etc, I think I am good to go there. :-)

Here's a question.... I will be in NYC 2 days, and bringing my teen kids + wife.  What is a MUST SEE while there?

Hotel is 2 blocks from 30-rockefell erplaza, so for closeseness to hotel, I have that figured as one area to visit, and for me, the new World Trade One is a must visit.    Any other "Must visits"?  (Kids so far have mentioned Empire state Building).. Maybe Times Square also?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I've looked at Street views on Google for familiarity with the "big city", I've got everything planned out for transportation from hotel to race, etc, I think I am good to go there. :-)

Here's a question.... I will be in NYC 2 days, and bringing my teen kids + wife.  What is a MUST SEE while there?

Hotel is 2 blocks from 30-rockefell erplaza, so for closeseness to hotel, I have that figured as one area to visit, and for me, the new World Trade One is a must visit.    Any other "Must visits"?  (Kids so far have mentioned Empire state Building).. Maybe Times Square also?

Welcome, K L Duke!

I don't live in NY, so maybe other folks can give better options for what to see, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. You are not too far from Central Park, so depending on the weather, you could go by there. Also, I personally love the Museum of Natural History and the Rose Center (that's the space part, including planetarium), but this depends on your interests.

I work downtown so I walk by the new World Trade Center every day. The only thing I'd say with that, is that is not open. You can only see it from the street. The 9/11 memorial is close by there though if you are interested, although I've never been myself.

I hope you find some fun things to do before your race!