2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

senatj

Can we talk about the taper for a moment?  As you may know, dbilenkin and I are doing the Hansons advanced program and one of their main points is cumulative fatigue.  Well, I have it.  I wouldn't say my 16 miles yesterday was a struggle, but I was fatigued.  I was thinking, that it does kind of feel like the final 16 miles of a marathon - like they describe in the book.

So now that were in week 14, I'm thinking about the taper.

Well, this plan does not have much of a taper.  My peak weeks are about 60 miles, and the final 2 weeks are about 54, and 53 miles.

Race week has 26 miles leading up to marathon day.

So far I've been following the plan very closely.  But this taper has me a bit concerned.  I just reread the part of the book about the taper and they talk about a 10 day taper, and not reducing too much because one might get sluggish.  I think my 47 year old body might need more.  What do you think?   What is your taper like?

Thanks,

Joe

Goorun

Can we talk about the taper for a moment?  As you may know, dbilenkin and I are doing the Hansons advanced program and one of their main points is cumulative fatigue.  Well, I have it.  I wouldn't say my 16 miles yesterday was a struggle, but I was fatigued.  I was thinking, that it does kind of feel like the final 16 miles of a marathon - like they describe in the book.

So now that were in week 14, I'm thinking about the taper.

Well, this plan does not have much of a taper.  My peak weeks are about 60 miles, and the final 2 weeks are about 54, and 53 miles.

Race week has 26 miles leading up to marathon day.

So far I've been following the plan very closely.  But this taper has me a bit concerned.  I just reread the part of the book about the taper and they talk about a 10 day taper, and not reducing too much because one might get sluggish.  I think my 47 year old body might need more.  What do you think?   What is your taper like?

Thanks,

Joe

I'm a HUGE fan of shorter taper. When I ran competitively, I trained 365 days in a year so never really taper (trained in 4 weeks cycles where every fourth week was an "easy" week) . It would be hard with around 50 races per year to taper all the time. Only for a couple marathons per year I had 5 days mini taper, when I ran less and faster. That time what I considered a day off was easy 6-10 miles in the morning and nothing else. Of course my recovery times were really short (that is one of the goals of long term training).

Now more realistic look at a taper. I'll be 60 when I run NYC in a few weeks. It takes much longer to recover, but I still think that 10 days is plenty of time to taper, no matter how tired you are. I would stick to the plan (Hanson is one of the bests around IMO), but I'd concentrate on a few more extras. #1 would be to get a lot of sleep in the last two weeks. Sleep is still most important recovery tool. #2 watch your diet, no junk food, drink a lot and I would recommend to look into some form of carbloading (check Aussie carbloading method) before the race. #3 find a good sports massage therapist and get a deep tissue massage a week before the race.

One thing some people freak about is getting all little pains in your body/muscles when you ease up after a hard training.  It is normal and no, you are not getting injured right before the race.  It's your body "repairing" yourself, so do not worry about it. (Not talking real injury issues).

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Julia1971

Senatj, I will +1 to what Goo wrote about sleep.  I haven't been getting much of it lately but I notice when I get a solid 8 hours, I feel so much better on my runs. Sleep is good...  I think the CW is that the lower the mileage, the shorter the taper.  I'm guessing that's why Hanson's has such a short taper.  It's not a very high mileage plan...  I've follow the Pfitz 18/85 program and the taper starts three weeks out.  But, it doesn't feel any easier - to me - until two weeks out when the mid-week 14-15 miler goes away.  So, I think I'm really doing a two week taper.

senatj

Goo - thanks for the reply.  Awesome advice and makes me feel better about keeping on with the plan.  I've never had a sports massage so that would be a new one for me.  I look forward to the carbo loading - I have no problem eating! Smile.

Julia - wow - the 18/85 is hardcore.  That is a lot of miles.  I'm at 60 miles and it feels like a ton of running!  I did 16 on Sunday, 6 yesterday, 9 today (with speed), and you do 25 more miles!   I know it can be worked up to over time - but pretty amazing if you step back.  I did the Pfitz 18/55 for my 2nd marathon last year (Lehigh Valley).

By the way - I'm a morning runner.  What about everyone else?  I could really use that daylight savings hour back now!  I was out the door around 6:10am and it was very dark.  I used the headlamp today and ditched it after the first mile.  I also like my knuckle lights, but having something in my hand is a pain.

Docket_Rocket

I am an after work runner.  I cannot wake up at 2-3am to run before heading to work, get ready for court, and do other stuff.  I love the knuckle lights!  In Winter (well, in Summer in December in Miami) I use them to scare the shit out of cars that are rolling stop signs and red lights before I jumped on the curb.  I swear they must think a truck is coming!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad, Runner, Programmer

senatj, I'm glad you brought up the topic of tapering. I was thinking the same thing as you. Thanks for the answers, Goorun and Julia! I too am feeling better about the shorter taper now. I will definitely try to focus more on sleep. I don't know if I'll be getting a massage, but I do try to use one of those stick roller things frequently.

Also, Goorun, I think I will be making a pace bracelet after rethinking what you were saying about the length of a marathon and going too fast for the first half. Too much risk. Maybe I'll try my best to not constantly be looking at it which I end up doing.

I am not much of a morning runner. In fact I was planning to run this morning at 5:30 and I just couldn't bring myself to do it, so I'll be running that same interval training tonight after work. Right now I am envying you, senatj.

Ok, I gotta go checkout these knuckle lights you guys are all talking about.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Julia1971

I'm not officially "tapering" yet but today ended my peak mileage week.  I ran 80 miles in the last 7 days and am starting a mini-taper for my HM on Sunday.

I really, really, should book my hotel soon...

Senatj, You know, this training session, it hasn't felt so bad.  Looking back on previous training cycles, I remember coming home and immediately going to bed.  It definitely gets easier over time...  I'm a morning runner.  But, I don't run super early - I don't leave the house until 6 or 7.

D_R, Rolling stop signs are bad.  Cars that stop in the cross walk are my bigger annoyance.  They've already demonstrated they can't drive so I don't want to run in front of them, so I end up running behind them.

DBilenkin, Sleep is the best.  I can really tell the difference between workouts when I had broken sleep the night before and those where I slept through the night...  Since you do have a time goal, I think you're smart to be aware of your pace.  I'm going to do a modified run by feel for my HM on Sunday.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Docket_Rocket

I'm not officially "tapering" yet but today ended my peak mileage week.  I ran 80 miles in the last 7 days and am starting a mini-taper for my HM on Sunday.

I really, really, should book my hotel soon...

Senatj, You know, this training session, it hasn't felt so bad.  Looking back on previous training cycles, I remember coming home and immediately going to bed.  It definitely gets easier over time...  I'm a morning runner.  But, I don't run super early - I don't leave the house until 6 or 7.

D_R, Rolling stop signs are bad.  Cars that stop in the cross walk are my bigger annoyance.  They've already demonstrated they can't drive so I don't want to run in front of them, so I end up running behind them.

DBilenkin, Sleep is the best.  I can really tell the difference between workouts when I had broken sleep the night before and those where I slept through the night...  Since you do have a time goal, I think you're smart to be aware of your pace.  I'm going to do a modified run by feel for my HM on Sunday.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Word.  Today, I was almost run over because the fucker was texting while driving.  He almost hit me in the grass, that's how bad he went off course.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bingo_jenn

Hey!

I was uploading my miles and saw this thread on the side tool bar.  Smile 

I don't post hardly ever here.  I'm a refugee from RW and D_R is my 'manita.  Smile

I'm running this year, using the NYRR Virtual Trainer program.  Goal <4:45/have a good race.  From Arlington, VA. 

I'll read through your threads to see how things are going!  I'm feeling decent (injury-free!), but am starting to get nervous that we are so close!  This week is a cutback, then next week is my last big week before taper!! EEK!!

Docket_Rocket

Hey!

I don't post hardly ever here.  I'm a refugee from RW and D_R is my 'manita.  Smile

I'm running this year, using the NYRR Virtual Trainer program.  Goal <4:45/have a good race.  From Arlington, VA. 

I'll read through your threads to see how things are going!  I'm feeling decent (injury-free!), but am starting to get nervous that we are so close!  This week is a cutback, then next week is my last big week before taper!! EEK!!

I did not know you were running it!  We need to plan in case we get the same wave and color.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could run together?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Hey!

Welcome, bingo_jenn! Glad to hear you are (knock on wood) injury free! I'm in the same boat with you getting nervous now that it's getting closer. I think a lot of are. We invest so much of our time into this, but it's this abstract thing off in the distance. As it gets closer to reality, we start to realize we are actually going to be doing this. Good luck!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

senatj

I mentioned previously about running the last 13 miles of the course.  Well I think I'm going to do it on Oct 12th.  If anyone wants to join me, let me know!  I really would like some company for this one.  My pace would be between 8:45 and 9 or so.

I plan to take the E train to the Court Sq station and run from there down to the 13 mile point on McGinness Blvd, and then turn around and run the rest of the course.  Total for me will be 16 miles.

For you city runners, what is the running etiquette in the city?  I'm from the far suburbs and we run in the street.  Do I run on the sidewalk or bike lane or what?  Mostly I want to avoid getting hit by any vehicle Smile.  I'm also not used to stopping at lights!  It's a Sunday and I'd be starting at about 8am so I'm hoping traffic is lighter.

Thanks,

Joe

Julia1971

I ran my second and final tune-up race today.  My race report is here.

Very excited to get my New York on in four weeks!  (I'm not sure what that means, but since it's the ad campaign...)

Caxrine

This is in response to Senatj:

Unless you run an organized race, there are no special considerations for runners in the street or on sidewalk. This is NYC and every man for himself whether in a car, on a bike or on foot. Make sure to follow the traffic signals and cross at the green light only and use the cross walks. You should have a chance at completing the last half or the course.

(I am replying with a somewhat sarcastic tone ---but the truth is that no one will be looking for you if you are running any where other than the loop in Central Park and even then, stay out of the cycling lane). It can be dangerous. I ran the last 10 miles of the race with a group last year and I did not feel I was benefited by it in any way (except meeting nice people). I recommend watching a video of the course. But really, nothing will be like race day!! Good luck.

Goorun

I ran my second and final tune-up race today.  My race report is here.

Very excited to get my New York on in four weeks!  (I'm not sure what that means, but since it's the ad campaign...)

Great RR and a nice new PR. I got sad in part about your dog. We lost our boy Nanook year and half ago and it still hurts.

Doubling your half plus 13 minutes seem too much, but it sounds like it works for you. (I would guess 3:13-14 for you).

Slow and steady never wins anything.