2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Docket_Rocket

It is far.  When I said it felt like 30 minutes, it's because I walked more than 15 minutes after leaving Central Park.  And that's AFTER you pick up the poncho.  To get the poncho is as long.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ultramarathon/triathlete

Here's a pic of the Verrazano I snapped this past weekend.  You'll be headed over that soon.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Not sure if people have seen this:

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Not sure if people have seen this:

I linked to it earlier when I shared my pace bracelet. I think this image is a bit too small. I can't make out the elevation. Here is a link to the original PDF again, if folks are interested:

http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/default/files/NYC%20Marathon%20Elevation%20Profile_2014.pdf

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

JML

Has anyone had luck in the past getting the NYRR to change their wave assignment?  I received wave 1 and would like to move back to wave 2 or 3 to pace some of the runners that I coach.  I know that they will let you move back within the corrals for the wave/color that you are assigned to but the race website warns that wave assignments cannot be changed.  Do I have any options short of starting with my wave and waiting on the bridge for wave 2?

Thanks

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

cjervin

Hello all,

Thanks for all the great information from the locals/previous NYC runners.

dbilenkin -- please put me down for <4:15.

I ran my final tuneup last weekend (Denver Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon) and felt really good.  Oh, and I got blue, wave 3, corral C.

Good luck everyone!

Julia1971

My Marine Corps Marathon race report is posted in the Marathoners Dailies.

I'm eating and drink a lot and am wearing every piece of compression gear I own in an attempt to recover quickly.

JML, I haven't.  But, they were really responsive in saying "No" to my request to move up corrals in my wave.  Smile

Cjervin, Glad you had a good tune-up.  It's always nice going into a race feeling good.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

cjervin, you are down for sub 4:15. Good luck!

Julia, great detailed race report! I was recalling my own MCM experience from a couple years ago while reading yours. Although you are way faster than me, the race itself followed the same flow as mine. I think for me what did me in was going too hard on those initial hills and trying to zig zag around lots of people in the crowded start. That, and the wind! Mine was right before Sandy so we had some wind as well and I think that killed me. I'm sorry you didn't PR, but it sounds like this was a really tough day with the weather. Great job meeting your B goal of top 10 in AG at this huge of a field!

Speaking of weather, at least for now its looking like high of 48 and I'm hoping its not too windy, because it looks like the day before the forecast calls for 26 mph winds. So keeping fingers crossed!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

senatj

My Marine Corps Marathon race report is posted in the Marathoners Dailies.

Julia - congrats on the race and great race report.  It's tough when the weather does not cooperate but you did great anyway.  I can't believe you're doing NYC too!

Nasreddin Hoja

Julia1971

DBilenkin, Thanks!  I was out there cheering for you all right before Sandy and it must have been so stressful for you all.  I remember not knowing quite what to say because it must have been so miserable.  Now that I've done both, I can see why that website might say MCM is harder.  For instance, there's nothing as bad as the 14th Street bridge at NYCM...  I am done with wind.  LOL!

Senatj, Thanks!  I can't believe it either.  I was feeling pretty good until a few hours ago when the DOMS finally hit.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm very excited about going back.  I've been rocking "New York Groove" on my iPod for the last couple days.

Nasreddin Hoja, Very cool.  Thanks for sharing.

Docket_Rocket

Julia, congrats!  Great performance in tough conditions!

Getting psyched!  The weather forecast is looking good (well, except the wind).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nasreddin Hoja

There are yesterdays start line photos in the dailies thread over at RW NYCM forum.

Quick process related question.  I've run a handful of marathons but the only large one so far was the MCM.  This will be my first experience with waves/corrals in a race of this field size.

Does the entire wave get released at the same time with everyone just sorted in the ascending corrals, or does each corral within the wave get a separate start every few minutes?

I guess the heart of my question is how bad is the congestion on the course at the start?  I remember the MCM being extremely crowded until around the first river crossing (I was lined up for a 9:00 min/mile, about where I am for NYC).  I realize MCM might be a different animal all together given the individual seeding and the common start.

Thanks

PRs:  5K:  21:52 10/14/1210K:  48:04 4/6/13,  HM:  1:43:13 4/28/13M:  4:02:23 5/26/13

Marathon Progression: 4:44:23 5/29/11,   4:20:08 5/27/12,   4:06:44 10/28/12,  4:02:23 5/26/13

ultramarathon/triathlete

Has anyone had luck in the past getting the NYRR to change their wave assignment?  I received wave 1 and would like to move back to wave 2 or 3 to pace some of the runners that I coach.  I know that they will let you move back within the corrals for the wave/color that you are assigned to but the race website warns that wave assignments cannot be changed.  Do I have any options short of starting with my wave and waiting on the bridge for wave 2?

Thanks

It should not be a problem to move back but I'd try to hit them up on their Facebook page to ask.  They give warnings at the start area that if you miss your wave start, you'll have to start with the next wave.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team