2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Hopefully, everyone submitted their transportation and baggage options last week.  I really hate having to decide on baggage this early but with the increased security at so many race last year, I have become more and more minimalist in my approach to races.

Training update from me: I finished Pfitz' endurance phase last week...  I was stopping during a lot of my medium and long runs this past month either due to poor conditioning, heat, or going out too fast.  But in the last week, I've felt like it's starting to come together and I can run 15-16 miles without unnecessary stops.  Paces have been in the 8:05-8:30 range for those runs depending on the course and the heat.  This week also starts the doubles.  (More laundry.  Whoo hoo!)

Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of aches and pains in the calves, ankles, and feet in the last few days.  I've resorted to icing after my runs  I think it's just that I'm having trouble finding shoes I'm happy with - the shoes I liked were changed last year and I've struggled to find something that I'm happy with.  I'm rotating three shoes that are very different (Adidas Energy Boosts, Brooks Pure Flow, and New Balance 890s) and I think it's starting to show now that my mileage is increasing.

Otherwise, it's all about getting out the door in the morning to get my run in and doing the laundry.

13 weeks out!

Hey Julia,

Thanks for the training update. I'm in a bit of the same boat with aches and pains and icing and stretching and rolling as well. I had to cut back for a little while early on, but now I feel like I'm settling in with my plan. That's annoying with having to find new shoes. I hate when they change the model too much. Luckily for me so far, the Brooks Ghosts haven't changed much over the last 4 models! Keep up the good work and keep us posted with more updates!

Welcome, senatj!

You and I are pretty much training twins. I am also doing Hanson's advanced which is a step up for weekly miles for me, and I too am targeting 3:30 which I think may be a bit of a stretch. This past couple weeks training has been going well for me as long as I really focus on going slow for the easy stuff. Slower than I usually go, like 9:15 or so. And then I am able to do the quality stuff harder. And most importantly I'm trying to listen to my body and ice and stretch and roll a lot. I think that's what works for me. But I know there is still a lot of training left.

What did you think of that ladder interval set yesterday? That was the hardest one so far for me. That 2nd 1200 was rough.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

senatj

Welcome, senatj!

You and I are pretty much training twins. I am also doing Hanson's advanced which is a step up for weekly miles for me, and I too am targeting 3:30 which I think may be a bit of a stretch. This past couple weeks training has been going well for me as long as I really focus on going slow for the easy stuff. Slower than I usually go, like 9:15 or so. And then I am able to do the quality stuff harder. And most importantly I'm trying to listen to my body and ice and stretch and roll a lot. I think that's what works for me. But I know there is still a lot of training left.

What did you think of that ladder interval set yesterday? That was the hardest one so far for me. That 2nd 1200 was rough.

I feel the same way about the easy days.  Really trying to go at the prescribed pace on the easy days - just like you at 9:15 or 9:30.  I find now, with all the constant fatigue, the slower pace is welcome, and not a struggle at all!

I'm near you in Branchburg NJ.  I usually do my speed work on a relatively stretch of flat road nearby.  But the 1600m intervals are just too long to find a flat road.  Even the 1200m was pushing it.  So for the ladder, I headed to the nice track at Hillsborough High school.  I knew it would be very hard, and it was, but I got it done. I was aiming for about 7 to 7:10 pace and hit it closer to 7.  Today I'm feeling a little something in my right arch.  We'll just call it a niggle and hope it goes away.

Now we get to look forward to 7 miles at MP tomorrow!!!

andyashton

I'm running NYCM after trying and failing to get in for the past 3 years.  It will be my first marathon.  I'm trying hard to heed the advice that a first-time marathoner shouldn't focus on a time goal, but my last half (October 2013) was 1:52, so I'll try to pace myself for a 4:00 finish.

I waffled on a number of training plans, but none seemed to fit my training level/style exactly.  I started a plan that had me running 5 days a week instead of my usual 4 (plus one day of cross), and I almost immediately started feeling bad - I could sense that an injury - plantars or splints - was imminent.   I went to see a Sports Doc who told me to use a night splint, ice, etc.  and she told me to eliminate the 5th day of running.

So I ended up working up a plan that just extends the training pattern that has kept me injury free for the past year, and roughly maps it to the build/speed/taper schedule that a lot of the popular plans follow.   I'm running 4 days a week (Cycle & upper body, 6-10+tempo, Rest, 6-10 easy, Rest, 3-6 easy, 12-20 easy).  I'm at 34 miles this week and will work up to 42-45 for a few weeks before tapering.  Following this pattern has felt good and my aches and pains are quite a bit better.

Can't wait to run the marathon.  My late father ran it as his first two marathons when I was a kid, in 1982 and 1983, and thanks to the online archive of  finishing times, I now know what I need to beat him Smile*

*I won't dwell on the fact that he was 12 years older than me when he first ran it!

Julia1971

Hey Julia,

That's annoying with having to find new shoes.

I think I'm going to ditch the Energy Boost and go with the New Balance for my medium and long runs for the rest of the training cycle.  I've worn them a few times now and they feel similar to my old shoe.

I had a disastrous 20-miler last weekend.  I was keeping it together for 17 or so miles (8:35ish pace) and then the wheels fell off.  I ended up walking a lot of the last 3 miles.  I can't remember the last time I had a run end that badly (9:05 pace by the end).  Anyway, things picked right back up the next day, but it was very humbling.   I was in great shape until I wasn't! 

Happy training everyone!

senatj

I think I'm going to ditch the Energy Boost and go with the New Balance for my medium and long runs for the rest of the training cycle.  I've worn them a few times now and they feel similar to my old shoe.

I had a disastrous 20-miler last weekend.  I was keeping it together for 17 or so miles (8:35ish pace) and then the wheels fell off.  I ended up walking a lot of the last 3 miles.  I can't remember the last time I had a run end that badly (9:05 pace by the end).  Anyway, things picked right back up the next day, but it was very humbling.   I was in great shape until I wasn't! 

Happy training everyone!

Good luck with the NB 890's.  That is my current shoe and I really like them, plus they come in wide which I need.  That is strange about your 20 miler - I'm glad you were back to normal the next day!

Julia1971

Good luck with the NB 890's.  That is my current shoe and I really like them, plus they come in wide which I need.  That is strange about your 20 miler - I'm glad you were back to normal the next day!

Huh.  I wonder if they also come in narrows.  I have narrow feet which is another reason it's hard for me to find shoes I like.

I think the problems were two-fold.  I was dehydrated going and and somehow ended up behind despite drinking quite a bit.  I lost 6-7 lbs after the run.  And, the first 7 miles of the run were uphill.  The next 7 were rolling.  When I stopped for water at Mile 17, I think my body was like, "So, we're done then?  Yep.  We're done."  Smile  Bad runs happen.  Usually, they put a little fire in my belly so I don't view them as a bad thing all together.

Welcome to the group!  And, congrats on (finally) getting in.  You're in for a very fun race.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I'm running NYCM after trying and failing to get in for the past 3 years.  It will be my first marathon.  I'm trying hard to heed the advice that a first-time marathoner shouldn't focus on a time goal, but my last half (October 2013) was 1:52, so I'll try to pace myself for a 4:00 finish.

I waffled on a number of training plans, but none seemed to fit my training level/style exactly.  I started a plan that had me running 5 days a week instead of my usual 4 (plus one day of cross), and I almost immediately started feeling bad - I could sense that an injury - plantars or splints - was imminent.   I went to see a Sports Doc who told me to use a night splint, ice, etc.  and she told me to eliminate the 5th day of running.

So I ended up working up a plan that just extends the training pattern that has kept me injury free for the past year, and roughly maps it to the build/speed/taper schedule that a lot of the popular plans follow.   I'm running 4 days a week (Cycle & upper body, 6-10+tempo, Rest, 6-10 easy, Rest, 3-6 easy, 12-20 easy).  I'm at 34 miles this week and will work up to 42-45 for a few weeks before tapering.  Following this pattern has felt good and my aches and pains are quite a bit better.

Can't wait to run the marathon.  My late father ran it as his first two marathons when I was a kid, in 1982 and 1983, and thanks to the online archive of  finishing times, I now know what I need to beat him Smile*

*I won't dwell on the fact that he was 12 years older than me when he first ran it!

Welcome, andyashton! I got in through the 3 failed attempts as well. I'm glad we were still able to grandfather us in now that they've decided to discontinue that. I feel like without that, it will be close to impossible through regular lottery. When I started running, 4 days is what worked for me, and when I started to up my mileage I started getting injured. But after a while I was eventually able to add days, to the point where eventually I feel better running more frequently. Not sure what the point of sharing that was except you have to figure out what works for you, but also what works for you could change over time. So maybe you won't always need to limit it to 4 days a week, but who knows.

Good luck with training, and good luck with besting your father's time, although you know what they say about your first marathon. You never know what to expect those last several miles.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm rarely on RA anymore, my company has blocked a lot of forums, oddly.

Anyway, I'll be an official NYRR Pace Leader for the NYCM again this year. Looks like I'm pacing the 4 hour group, so if that's you, you're running with me.

I think this will be my 9th consecutive NYCM (I count Sandy since I ran 26.2 that day in CP.).

I run the course a lot. If anyone has any questions, shoot me an email since, like I said, I'm not on here nearly as much as I wish I could be. (mendeldave at gmail). I've also posted a lot of advice regarding this race in previous threads, a search should find it if you're so inclined. I will also be working the pacer booth at the expo, not sure which day(s) yet, but come by to see me, I'm the really really incredibly good looking bald dude.

I'm also pacing Grete's Half in Oct, if anyone's doing that. I think I'm slated for the 1:30 group.

Oh and for the grid dbilenkin created: Username: Mendeldave Goal: 3:59:30 Training plan: run a lot and don't break hip again From: Brooklyn

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

-- A random question, just for rough planning purposes, (because I have no clue), How much would a taxi ride be from the finish of the race, to Rockefeller center area where my hotel is, in midtown Manhattan?. :-)

Usually, $10.

NYCM day, impossible. The area around the finish is closed to cars/taxis and thousands of people are hailing them as soon as they get to a spot they can. You won't get one or if you do, it'll take longer than it would to walk. Plus, the cabbie will have to drive all over to get you where you're going, around closed roads and such. It wouldn't be efficient and would probably cost a lot more.

Just walk or take the subway (which is right near the end of the race anyway). Subway is a couple stops. A walk is probably a mile or two.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

W00t! Happy you're running it again. I may move back to your group so maybe we'll get meet. (My current plan is to run MCM the week before for time and NYCM for fun. My BFF's goal is sub-4 and I may run with her. I have a feeling she'll have a lot of rules for me, though).

Anyway, I'll be an official NYRR Pace Leader for the NYCM again this year. Looks like I'm pacing the 4 hour group, so if that's you, you're running with me.
                       I think this will be my 9th consecutive NYCM (I count Sandy since I ran 26.2 that day in CP.).
                       I run the course a lot. If anyone has any questions, shoot me an email since, like I said, I'm not on here nearly as much as I wish I could be. (mendeldave at gmail). I've also posted a lot of advice regarding this race in previous threads, a search should find it if you're so inclined. I will also be working the pacer booth at the expo, not sure which day(s) yet, but come by to see me, I'm the really really incredibly good looking bald dude.
                       I'm also pacing Grete's Half in Oct, if anyone's doing that. I think I'm slated for the 1:30 group.
                       Oh and for the grid dbilenkin created: Username: Mendeldave Goal: 3:59:30 Training plan: run a lot and don't break hip again From: Brooklyn

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Welcome, Mendeldave! Glad to have you in this thread with your experience. 9 in a row is awesome! As things get closer, I may indeed have some questions.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Hi folks, I wanted to throw out a question to everyone that I've been thinking about now that I am in the middle of training and really trying to set a goal time. My A goal is to get a new marathon PR of 3:37 at NY.

I know that a lot of folks say that NY is not the best marathon to PR on. My previous PR is at Philadelphia which I know is an easier course. I also know of course that it's going to be different, for different people, but my question is, on average how much time do you think this course is slower than Philly.

Would I need to be able to run something closer to a 3:30 in a flat marathon like Philly to get a 3:37 in NY, or is it more like 3 minutes? I know for the elite folks, it only make 2 or 3 minute difference, but for mere mortals like myself, I wonder if its a lot more. I wanted to hear what others' experiences were like.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

From http://findmymarathon.com

YMMV, of course.

Julia1971

Dbilenkin, The website Led Lincoln consulted is probably the closest thing to a calculator you'll find. However, I checked your log and saw that Philly was 4 years ago. You could be so much fitter now than then (or not) that course comparisons aren't going to help you very much IMHO. I think studying the course profile will help more. There's also a website that gives mile-by-mile pace adjustments for major marathons. I can look it up for you when I get home and have some free time.  Edited to add: Are you running any tune-up races?

NYCM is my marathons PR but only by seconds.  I think it's a fair course - not flat and fast buy not hilly either. The bridges do act like hills but only two (?) are steep enough to cause trouble. Central Park fooled me. It didn't look bad on the elevation chart and during my shake out run the day before but it crushed my soul on race day.  It is very crowded so running tangents is out of the question.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

LedLincoln, thanks for the link to that site. I had never heard of it! Gives me a good idea of how those two marathons compare.

Julia, You are right, and I am hoping that my fitness will be better than 4 years ago, I just wanted to get a gauge of how much fitter than my 2010 self I'd have to be when I compare workouts and such when I go through my past logs as things get closer. I don't want to make the mistake of thinking I'm a little bit fitter and then because the course is harder and up blowing up in the 2nd half. But I'm probably exaggerating the differences. I appreciate your insights and thanks for the heads up about Central Park. Those last miles of a marathon, every little incline feels like a mountain Smile