2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Julia1971

Today's signs of fall:

• Averaged 6:24 pace on my 600m intervals on the trail.  Two weeks ago, I averaged 6:48 pace.
    • Wore my NYCM five boroughs gloves. Smile

ultramarathon/triathlete

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

NYC Marathon vs Boston, Chicago and Marine Corp by Age and Age Group

Huh.  Any guess what would account for NYCM having faster times than Chicago (and MCM)?  Could it be NYCM draws faster runners even though it's thought of as a tougher course (I think) than Chicago?

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Docket_Rocket, welcome! Glad you joined the thread. Thanks for sharing the mini dolls info, although I may be too late for one. Need to go check that out now Smile

Julia1971, I really enjoyed reading your race report from a couple weeks ago. I saw that you ran it by feel. I'm normally a pace bracelet kind of racer, but have really been leaning toward doing NYC on feel for the first time. I just wanted to know your thoughts on how this went for you. Did you feel like you were able to trust yourself. Did you constantly have the urge to look at your watch? I am a bit torn on this. Also, if anyone else wants to chime in on racing by feel vs. pace bracelet.

Also, Yes to Fall being here!!! I had a grade interval session yesterday morning in the cooler temps. Good pace, but felt easy and HR was low. I finally felt like all this training was actually leading somewhere.

senatj, Nice work with your intervals. They inspired me to have a good interval session myself, since you and I are following the same program. Keep up the good work!

EastRiverRunner, Welcome! Any goals for this one?

Mendeldave, Thanks for all that info. I love reading all these time comparisons between marathons. I am a bit of a data nut, which is why forcing myself to not use a pace bracelet may prove to be so hard.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. I'm happy to see this thread getting more active now that we are approaching a little more than a month away!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Kalsarikännit

This is so bad that it is comical.

Los Angeles, with no cut-off times has opened itself up to walkers that want to complete a marathon. Because it has the slowest average finishing time amongst the limited races they compared it to, it is the country's "toughest" marathon.

New York City has the largest number of race entrants every year. This makes it the "best" marathon.

New York also has the most Boston qualifiers (but not even close to the highest percent of finishers that BQ).  This makes it the "Best Marathon to Qualify for Boston".

I'm shaking my head in disbelief.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

ultramarathon/triathlete

WrigleyGirl, I was thinking the same thing!  Also, their "best races" list follows, in order, the size of the field... huh?  Ok.

dbilenkin -why no pace bracelet this year?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Dad, Runner, Programmer

dbilenkin -why no pace bracelet this year?

Well, I'm not 100% decided on that yet, but here is my thinking. When in the past I came up with a marathon pace, it would be an educated guess of what I thought I could do under best conditions and feeling good. It was a bit of an optimistic goal. And then I would try to follow it and end up running a fairly large positive split. Of course I've only run 3 marathons so it's not like I have a lot of experience with this.

I guess I figure if I am able to run by feel, maybe I would do a better job of running a more even race. Or maybe I'll end up doing even worse and blowing up even worse than in other marathons, I don't know.

I also feel that when I have this pace bracelet I'm a slave to this thing, and I keep pushing way to hard at times earlier on when I should back off. Last time at Marine Corps. There is this big hill early on, and I just pushed way too hard up it to hit this pace, and I think maybe that screwed up the rest of the race for me. Anyways, I'm still not sure, so I was curious what others' thought.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am probably going to need a bracelet that will match the difficulty of each mile (I know they exist, I just have not looked again this year).

I did 7 last night. It's nice when it's 85F instead of 100F.

Damaris

ultramarathon/triathlete

When I see a bracelet based on difficulty by mile I'll post the link (I come across them somewhere every year).

You could also wear one on both wrists, but different times and try to fall somewhere between the two.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

dbilenkin, I've raced by feel for my last two races - an 8K and a HM - and it went very well both times.  The first time it was by accident - I left my Garmin at home.  The second time, it was purposefully done.

I didn't trust myself that much.  For the 8K, I remember feeling I was running the start too fast.  For the HM, I was worried that I had sped up too early in the middle.  In the end, I think I actually did a good job both times.  And for the 8K, there were on-course clocks at every mile so I was doing the math during the race.  But for the HM, there weren't on-course clocks but I resisted looking at my Garmin the whole time.  It was tough.  I don't know if I could resist for an entire marathon.

Last year, almost all my race reports read the same way: I felt great at the start of the race, figured I was much fitter than I thought, and preceded to fade in the later stages.  So, I've enjoyed how I've felt during these last two races.  Would I do it for a full?  Yeah, I could see myself doing it by effort but maybe doing status checks every 3 or 4 miles.  Mostly to make sure I wasn't going to fast.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks, Mendeldave.

I run by HR but I really want to use the bracelet to let me know how I'm going and where to adjust my HR or push.  I have run it twice and the first one I had an asthma attack on the bridge (16th mile)?  Second time, I was so scared of that bridge's air quality, I walked the whole thing, ha.  This year, I want to make sure I can run it well.

I did 11 miles (out of 14) this morning with 2 easy, 4 @ MP, 1 easy, 4 from MP to HMP.  My asthma was bad but it got done, except work interrupted me and I have to do 3 tonight after Pilates.  I feel another bout of asthma already here with two weeks from Chicago, eek!

Damaris

Goorun

Sorry about the injury.  Impressive that you still got a BQ on it, though.  Yes, very bad timing.  Do you have a diagnosis?  Anything you can do to help it heal or will it just be less running?

Welcome to all the new racers in the thread!.

Thanks. I have fantastic PT. She used to be a competitive long distance runner, so she puts up with my nonsense (what do you mean I need to take time off?). She told me, that I can run with it if I can take the pain, so I'm running. It's weird, it's usually best after my runs and worst after I rest. Could be arthritis.

On a more positive note, I got an email from Tokyo marathon people that I'm in for 2015. Yay. I'd love to do all majors in 2015.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

This is so bad that it is comical.

Los Angeles, with no cut-off times has opened itself up to walkers that want to complete a marathon. Because it has the slowest average finishing time amongst the limited races they compared it to, it is the country's "toughest" marathon.

New York City has the largest number of race entrants every year. This makes it the "best" marathon.

New York also has the most Boston qualifiers (but not even close to the highest percent of finishers that BQ).  This makes it the "Best Marathon to Qualify for Boston".

I'm shaking my head in disbelief.

+1

LA  "toughest" 

I still like a bunch of, mostly meaningless, stats about marathons.

Goorun

I read all post. Good stuff people, only a few weeks to go.

A bit about running by feel. I think you need some experience to do it well, but that is how everybody ran not that long ago. I still run with just a simple watch which takes splits. It has HR monitor option, but I've never used it. Saying that,  I always check my HR when I'm done, to monitor how fast it drops (still one of the best indicators of your running fitness).

It's a good practice to guess your paces when you are training. I can always tell my pace per mile/kilometre within +/- a few seconds. If you don't have this ability yet, it might be a safer bet to use a pace band, especially in a marathon. Well run marathon should feel like you are just jogging at an easy pace for at least the first half. I think that using HR monitor gives you a better feedback than trying to stick to some arbitrary pace, which might or might not be right on that specific day.  I'm all for trying it in shorter races, but it could be risky in a marathon.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks. I have fantastic PT. She used to be a competitive long distance runner, so she puts up with my nonsense (what do you mean I need to take time off?). She told me, that I can run with it if I can take the pain, so I'm running. It's weird, it's usually best after my runs and worst after I rest. Could be arthritis.

On a more positive note, I got an email from Tokyo marathon people that I'm in for 2015. Yay. I'd love to do all majors in 2015.

Nice!  I would love to do Tokyo.  I think that's my only major (except Boston) left to do.

Damaris