Heart Rate Monitor Recommendation for Woman (Read 1122 times)

Any women out there have any recommendations for a good heart rate monitor? And is there a huge difference between the ones with straps and the ones without chest straps?
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I don't have any specific recommendations, but as for strap vs no strap: I think many of the ones without a strap only show your heart rate when you place your fingers on them. That's really not good enough to control your pace. You want something with a continuous display.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think many of the ones without a strap only show your heart rate when you place your fingers on them. That's really not good enough to control your pace. You want something with a continuous display.
        Agreed. Like it or not, the strap is the way to go as far as getting constant feedback. Don't ask me how/why I know this, but I remember Polar making a sports-bra that specifically had a place for the Polar chest strap to go. In effect, it made the chest strap part of the bra, which would seem practical, as opposed to two separate parts.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Agreed. Like it or not, the strap is the way to go as far as getting constant feedback. Don't ask me how/why I know this, but I remember Polar making a sports-bra that specifically had a place for the Polar chest strap to go. In effect, it made the chest strap part of the bra, which would seem practical, as opposed to two separate parts.
          this is true. i didn't want to shell out for the bra, though, or have to wash it so often, so i just got a chest-strap. i hated it at first, but after a couple of runs w/ it, i got used to it. i don't even think about it anymore (i position it right under the band of my sportsbra, so there's constriction in only one narrow strip around my ribs. makes it feel less conspicuous/annoying.). i got the xs size and it fits fine.
            Further to jeffgoblue's point, the Polar heart rate monitor is integrated into certain Adiddas Climalite tops and sports bras. I have a Polar RS100 and find it to be a very decent entry level HRM. There's no pedometer, but for basic feedback (HR, Time, Splits, etc.) it's good. Not terribly expensive either.
              I have a Polar F6, and it's all the HRM I need. It's not fancy and has few bells and whistles, but it calculates my HR and lets me pace myself better on the course. The strap is comfortable and I don't even notice it. I also have the bra, and while I love the fit, I never wear it with the strap. I found that the HRM didn't work as well in the bra.
              "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
              Eryn

I love my Timex. It was the least ugly of all the options... http://www.timex.com/gp/product/B000221VNQ/sr=1-4/qid=1182471933/ref=sr_1_4/103-9501968-7283066?ie=UTF8&m=A1S5XB33AHYRMX&timexBrand=core Plus it has a smaller face so as not to look like the watch is eating my arm. You get used to the chest strap quickly.

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

I have a Polar F4 which just does basic HR and calories burned- it's the women's model so the watch is nice and small (and in a pretty pale blue shade Blush). I also recently got a Polar RS200sd with the speed and distance pedometer-it's nice to see the pace, but I dontt think it's quite as accurate as a Garmin for the slight bit more that a Garmin costs.
                    I have a Sports Instrument Pro 9 which I got as a gift. It works like it's supposed to. The chest strap is fine for my 100 lb, 5' frame and I don't notice it most of the time - I just shove it under the elastic part of my sports bra and rinse it off with water after every workout. It actually has a handy 100 lap memory too, but the watch is pretty clunky looking. It also works with the treadmills at my gym even though it's not a polar.
                    obiebyke

I have a Garmin 305. I love getting the heart rate data, but... I wear the band right under the bottom band of my sports bra, and I feel like it restricts my breathing. It's not tight--actually my rib cage is so small that it barely holds on if I don't secure it with my sports bra. But I feel like I can't expand my chest as much as possible. Thoughts?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Lisa3.1

I have the Polar RS400sd and so far I like it. I also posted the same question 1 1/2 mo.'s ago Go to Your input re: Heart Rate monitors
                        obiebyke

Thanks!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)