Whew! I feel great! (Read 871 times)

Aganon

lol ok, so I'm quite a novice runner (I've been running for about 2 months) so this is quiet a breakthrough for me lol I just finished a nice 5K jog, timing myself to see how I was doing, and I ended up with 19:42 for 5K. That is much better than my average 21:00! lol About a month and a half ago, I was at 27:00 for 5K lol, and felt strained Deadafter each run, lol but I feel AMAZING now after that. Big grin lol. It makes my pace about 6:34/mile, and for a 189 lb 17 yr old, that doesn't seem too bad to me! lol Cool My one problem, is even though I have been running for a couple months, I still have a bit of trouble with my lungs. I get quite winded with every run. I know the pace I'm taking isn't too fast for me cause I don't feel any pain really, but I can still never pass the talk test comfortably. So what excersizes and such would you suggest to help with that? -=Caleb Harmon=-

Jazz hands!

My one problem, is even though I have been running for a couple months, I still have a bit of trouble with my lungs. I get quite winded with every run. I know the pace I'm taking isn't too fast for me cause I don't feel any pain really, but I can still never pass the talk test comfortably. So what excersizes and such would you suggest to help with that?
      Congrats on the speedy pace! So, um, you're getting winded because you need to slow down. 6:34 / mi is a pretty hellaciously fast pace for someone who's been running two months. If you slow down to the point where you can talk / sing comfortably, you won't get winded, and you'll be able to run longer distances more comfortably. If you're running to the point where it hurts, that's probably a bad idea for a training run.
      run run run AHHHHHH run run run
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Slow down. In most of your runs, you should be at conversational pace so you can build up endurance. Pace isn't just about whether you have pain; if you are getting winded, it is too fast. It's not good to go hard every single run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

protoplasm72

Running is not supposed to hurt (unless you are racing of course) so using pain as an indicator of pacing is not a good idea. Slow down till you can breath and do most of your running at that pace. Even though you are young you can still run yourself into serious injuries if you run all out every time. Just run more miles at a slower pace and your endurance will improve over time.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

A Saucy Wench

Slow down. The way to pass the talk test is to run so you can talk, there are no supplementary exercises. Pain is not an indicator, pain is a problem. You will run better if you run farther slower.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Purdey

Self anointed title

lol ok, so I'm quite a novice runner (I've been running for about 2 months) so this is quiet a breakthrough for me lol I just finished a nice 5K jog, timing myself to see how I was doing, and I ended up with 19:42 for 5K. That is much better than my average 21:00! lol About a month and a half ago, I was at 27:00 for 5K lol, and felt strained Deadafter each run, lol but I feel AMAZING now after that. Big grin lol. It makes my pace about 6:34/mile, and for a 189 lb 17 yr old, that doesn't seem too bad to me! lol Cool I get quite winded with every run. So what excersizes and such would you suggest to help with that?
              I'd recommend cutting down on your "laughing out loud" - save your breath for running. (lol)

Its pretty simple.....you are running a little too fast....and you havent established a solid base of miles just yet. So as everyone else said, slow down a little - establish a nice base (20 or 25 MPW) and then speed up.... I wish I could run a 5K that fast....but we are all wired differently........I think you are just fine but need to focus on training for a while and get secure in running...allow your body to catch up to you...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Another Passion

19:42 is a 5k jog? Whew! For me it's an unattainable PR! Roll eyes

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

sabend

Eek, I can't even run 2 miles in 21 minutes! I'm also a beginner (I've been running for about one month), so definitely congrats on the progress! I'm hoping to be able to run 5K very soon. And yeah, I'm sure you've heard it a million times, but you should slow down. I was getting winded when I first started, but now I can do hills at the end of a run without getting out of breath. Slow down and enjoy the run! Your lungs will thank you.
                    Aganon

Ok! Thanks for the comments and suggestions! I'll try just slowing down. My problem is, when I start running, I tend to find a pace that feels right to my legs, not my lungs, so it can tend to be a bit too much for my lungs. But I think I may try a 5 mile run, just at a slower pace if I can find the time. Thanks again for the help! -=Caleb=- (notice I didn't use any "lol's" in this one???)